Dodge Has Friends Everywhere, Even Blue Bell Town

GreenBat

Dodge hires UNT staff-- Approached West to gauge interest

By Staff and Wire Reports

DENTON, Texas - Todd Dodge's new staff at North Texas looks a lot like his old one at Southlake Carroll High.

The first-year coach, who made the rare jump from high school to Division I-A, announced the hiring of nine assistant coaches Thursday. Four are coming from high school programs, including three of his former assistants at Southlake Carroll.

Offensive coordinator Todd Ford and defensive coordinator Ron Mendoza held the same jobs under Dodge at Southlake Carroll. Robert Drake, another former Southlake Carroll assistant, will coach special teams and defensive tackles.

Clayton George, a former Mean Green wide receiver, comes back to the school as a receivers coach. He spent the past three seasons as head coach at Dallas Hillcrest High.

The other assistants are Spencer Leftwich, offensive line; Shelton Gandy, running backs; Chuck Petersen, safeties; Derek Lewis, defensive ends; and Butch LaCroix, cornerbacks.

Three days after Dodge was hired by UNT, he called Brenham High School athletic director and head football coach Glen West and informally asked about his interest in a coaching position at UNT or Southlake Carroll.

“Honestly, he and I visited for several hours on three different occasions,” West said. “We're very good friends and we walked away from the conversation knowing Brenham is the best place for me. He knew that going in, he just wanted to make sure I knew there were some other opportunities available.

“We're just really good friends and we talked things over and I have no interest in going to the college ranks.”Dodge's son, Riley, is the quarterback at Southlake Carroll. Next season will be his senior year.

West was also contacted informally about his potential interest in Flower Mound Marcus' coaching vacancy, but West expressed no interest in that position.

Dodge will be in Brenham this week for home visits. West said Dodge has expressed interest in several members of this year's senior class, which already has six players committed to Division I programs.

The Cubs have recently had three players competing in all-star games, as senior quarterback Jarrett Lee, a Louisiana State commit, played in the Rivals 100 all-star game, and Texas commits Brandon Collins and Ahmard Howard each played in the Max Emfinger all-star game in Orlando, Fla. Collins made six catches, including a touchdown pass, and Howard had a sack.

Lee jammed his fingers while blocking on a reverse in the Rivals 100 all-star game, but is all right and was playing for the Cub basketball team Tuesday.

---No big deal but I have known Max Emfinger since we were in the 4th grade together in Brownwood.... Played on a few early football teams together. I last saw him about 4 years ago. I think his house took a big hit by Katrina, he lives (or did live ) a few miles north of New Orleans now.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66