Former Fellow Big West Foe BOISE STATE U!

PlummMeanGreen

What an early Christmas pre$ent for the BSU athletic program.

I am trying to remember while in my junior year when we beat Tennessee, Houston, etc, etc, etc, if I ever heard of a school out of Idaho named BSU and a BSU that didn't mean Baptist Student Union.

The upside? smile.gif If UNT leaders say they want to use the BSU Bronco football program as our model.

The downside? sad.gif Well, we've been living that for way too long.

Congrats, Broncos! You have made the non-BCS consortium of schools very proud!

What an early Christmas pre$ent for the BSU athletic program.

I am trying to remember while in my junior year when we beat Tennessee, Houston, etc, etc, etc, if I ever heard of a school out of Idaho named BSU and a BSU that didn't mean Baptist Student Union.

The upside? smile.gif  If UNT leaders say they want to use the BSU Bronco football program as our model.

The downside? sad.gif  Well, we've been living that for way too long.

Congrats, Broncos!  You have made the non-BCS consortium of schools very proud!

Hard to believe we use to OWN these guys while in the Big West not too long ago.

Hard to believe we use to OWN these guys while in the Big West not too long ago.

Yeah, but UNT goes back into its "Cotton Eyed Joe" best, hits a certain plateau (not as high as what BSU has in recent years with numerous Top 25 rankings); yet then we go back into our traditional retreat mode (again and again and again).

Wonder how our athletic personel has compared to BSU's thru the years? Might any UNT media guide give us a hint on that? It's always about the people you hire, folks, (and then some you even have to fire) to get your program fine-tuned to the extent to where it can attain the kind of plateau Boise State reached today.

How many million$ will this one game mean for BSU? unsure.gif Even if they were to upset OU how much more would it be? Probably more than enough to be a good down payment to get a new football stadium construction started in Denton would be my guess.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

How many million$ will this one game mean for BSU?

I don't know about this year , but last year's game between Notre Dame and Ohio State both teams got around 14.5 million each. While Notre Dame gets to keep all their money , Im not sure how much Ohio State shared with the other Big 10 teams.

Thinking back a few years ago, I seem to recall the BSU President almost vowing that their goal was get into the Mountain West Conference. They started by politicing to gain admittance to the WAC after the collapse of the Big West. Now they have arguably one of the most successful non-BCS programs in the country and I have no doubt they will meet their next goal, the MWC. Who knows, they may even make it to the Pac 10. You just have to admire these guys.

Thinking back a few years ago, I seem to recall the BSU President almost vowing that their goal was get into the Mountain West Conference. They started by politicing to gain admittance to the WAC after the collapse of the Big West. Now they have arguably one of the most successful non-BCS programs in the country and I have no doubt they will meet their next goal, the MWC.  Who knows, they may even make it to the Pac 10.  You just have to admire these guys.

I know a bit of "shoot from the hip" here but BSU's success along with their soon to make about $14 million in one game makes me wonder if we should have gone to that conference when we had a chance. sad.gif

The WAC will get very nice publicity over all this and will probably help La Tech out-recruit UNT in Texas (again) because of it. sad.gif Who knows, it may even help New Mexico State get a few from our area since we know they will recruit Texas harder with Mumme (sp?) as their coach with his Texas ties.

I know there are distance concerns with the WAC, but jeez, just how far are the 2 Florida schools away from Denton anyway in comparison to some in the WAC who are way out there?

GO BRONCOS! HERE'S ANOTHER WHO IS OFFICIALLY ON YOUR BANDWAGON!

PS: BSU does have a very nice NCAA D1-A double deck football stadium which I'm sure looks very nice to recruits in spite of their blue turf surface.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I know a bit of "shoot from the hip" here but BSU's success along with their soon to make about $14 million in one game makes me wonder if we should have gone to that conference when we had a chance. sad.gif

The WAC will get very nice publicity over all this and will probably help La Tech out-recruit UNT in Texas (again) because of it. sad.gif   Who knows, it may even help New Mexico State get a few from our area since we know they will recruit Texas harder with Mumme (sp?) as their coach with his Texas ties.

I know there are distance concerns with the WAC, but jeez, just how far are the 2 Florida schools away from Denton anyway in comparison to some in the WAC who are way out there?

GO BRONCOS!  HERE'S ANOTHER WHO IS OFFICIALLY ON YOUR BANDWAGON!

PS:  BSU does have a very nice NCAA D1-A double deck football stadium which I'm sure looks very nice to recruits in spite of their blue turf surface.

I think what will eventually happen is that the MWC picks up Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, and UTEP and goes to 14 teams. That's gonna be one heck of a conference in both football and basketball. I wish we could get in there instead of one of those schools but I wouldn't hold my breath. Those schools are much better connected than we are. It would open up a spot in CUSA but there's no guarantee we can get it, especially now that Western Kentucky has entered the competition. But for the Sun Belt it might mean we can pick up Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, or both.

Edited by GreenEddieNT

Boise will not get $14 million for this bowl game. This bowl game will net them about $3 million after expenses. They have to guarantee x amount of tickets, bring their whole band for a whole week - the team for a whole week - etc.. A lot of expense goies into a BCS game and at the end of the day, Boise will walk away with a nice check - but it will not be $14 million.

I just want to add - It is very prestigious though. The deal we made with the BCS, is that we would all (non-BCS) be admitted and we would all split one share of one spot, every year - regardless of making the bowl or not. If a team happened to earn its way into playing in that spot - they are now forced to honor it (they weren't before), and the BCS has to disperse a second share to our group (all of non-BCS).

So Boise is playing for all of us, not just the WAC. BTW - We (the Sun Belt) won't get $3 million from the game - that is Boise's reward, our conference will get a share of it - and most likely we will choose to invest it by buying a spot into another bowl game rather then disperse it to the members equally.

Boise does have a REALLY outside chance of winning a National Championship, Florida would have to beat OSU and Boise would have to thottle OU... and LSU would need to lose. It would be a really outside shot, but it could (in theory) happen - if enough voters watch the game and take it seriously.

Thinking back a few years ago, I seem to recall the BSU President almost vowing that their goal was get into the Mountain West Conference. They started by politicing to gain admittance to the WAC after the collapse of the Big West. Now they have arguably one of the most successful non-BCS programs in the country and I have no doubt they will meet their next goal, the MWC.  Who knows, they may even make it to the Pac 10.  You just have to admire these guys.

Here's how I see the non-bcs leagues shaking out when it's all said and done.

MWC

BYU

Utah

Air Force

Wyoming

Colorado State

San Diego State

TCU

UNLV

New Mexico

UTEP

Hawaii

Nevada

Boise State

Fresno State

CUSA

Memphis

East Carolina

UAB

Marshall

Western Kentucky

Central Florida

Southern Miss

Tulane

Tulsa

Rice

Houston

SMU

MAC

Eastern Michigan

Central Michigan

Western Michigan

Buffalo

Northern Illinois

Ball State

Kent State

Ohio

Toledo

Miami, OH

Bowling Green

Akron

Sun Belt

NMSU

Louisiana Tech

UNT

Arkansas State

ULL

ULM

FAU

FIU

Troy

MTSU

UALR

South Alabama

New Orleans

The MWC would become easily the best of the non-bcs leagues and would probably put a team in a BCS bowl every year as well as 3-5 teams in the NCAA tournament in hoops. The CUSA and MAC would remain at their current overall strength levels and the Sun Belt would remain about the same or a little bit stronger although still nationally irrelevant. The WAC would be anihilated and San Jose State, Utah State, and Idaho would be homeless, at least in football. They might get back to the Big West for basketball and the other non-revenue sports. Denver will also join a western or central league at some point too.

That's the way I see it going down.

Here's how I see the non-bcs leagues shaking out when it's all said and done.

MWC

BYU

Utah

Air Force

Wyoming

Colorado State

San Diego State

TCU

UNLV

New Mexico

UTEP

Hawaii

Nevada

Boise State

Fresno State

CUSA

Memphis

East Carolina

UAB

Marshall

Western Kentucky

Central Florida

Southern Miss

Tulane

Tulsa

Rice

Houston

SMU

MAC

Eastern Michigan

Central Michigan

Western Michigan

Buffalo

Northern Illinois

Ball State

Kent State

Ohio

Toledo

Miami, OH

Bowling Green

Akron

Sun Belt

NMSU

Louisiana Tech

UNT

Arkansas State

ULL

ULM

FAU

FIU

Troy

MTSU

UALR

South Alabama

New Orleans

The MWC would become easily the best of the non-bcs leagues and would probably put a team in a BCS bowl every year as well as 3-5 teams in the NCAA tournament in hoops.  The CUSA and MAC would remain at their current overall strength levels and the Sun Belt would remain about the same or a little bit stronger although still nationally irrelevant.  The WAC would be anihilated and San Jose State, Utah State, and Idaho would be homeless, at least in football.  They might get back to the Big West for basketball and the other non-revenue sports.  Denver will also join a western or central league at some point too.

That's the way I see it going down.

Do not think you will see more than 12 Football schools in any conference.

I don't think you are going to see San Jose State going "homeless" any time soon. Notice that they are in a bowl game this year and is just about the biggest "turn around" program in the country under Dick Tomey. They will be drawing the crowds and will become an attractive new conference member for someone.

Add to that they are in a metropolitan area and will continue to grow in competition and crowds.

The MWC would become easily the best of the non-bcs leagues and would probably put a team in a BCS bowl every year

well, if the MWC becomes the best non-BCS conference, and there are more competitive teams in it, I dont see how you could have a team in the BCS every year.

The only way any non-BCS school has a shot is by going undefeated. I would think a more competitive conference might make that a more difficult feat.