Quinn

untcampbell

Vito did a nice job of recognizing that amidst all the temporary crap, The Mighty will be in the hearts and minds for a while. What a great kid: polite, respectful of his "elders" (thanked me with a sir for coming to the game), always positive, works hard, overcomes obstacles, never says no.

The Nolan Ryan of North Texas. If my kids are going to choose a sports personality to admire/model, JQuinn would be a good candidate.

Others that come to mind:

Brandon Kennedy

Patrick Cobbs

Scott Hall

Chris Hurd

Adrian Awasom

Andy Blount

Nick Zuniga

Mitch Maher

Lance White

Toby Gowin

Brian Waters

Erric Pegram

All good humans.

I have underserved this current team but I look forward to watching those who will step up, and represent us proudly, win or lose, in the coming years.

Here is hoping that The Mighty will, next year, be the first NT-ex on my Fantasy Football team.

Go North Texas.

Go Mean Green.

I'll second that. My kids and I have stopped by the field to see him several times after games and he has always been the most polite guy you could imagine. He always thanked the kids for coming and asked them to come back again. Great guy with great talent.

Here's wishing you the very best, JQ!

Vito did a nice job of recognizing that amidst all the temporary crap, The Mighty will be in the hearts and minds for a while. What a great kid: polite, respectful of his "elders" (thanked me with a sir for coming to the game), always positive, works hard, overcomes obstacles, never says no.

The Nolan Ryan of North Texas. If my kids are going to choose a sports personality to admire/model, JQuinn would be a good candidate.

Others that come to mind:

Brandon Kennedy

Patrick Cobbs

Scott Hall

Chris Hurd

Adrian Awasom

Andy Blount

Nick Zuniga

Mitch Maher

Lance White

Toby Gowin

Brian Waters

Erric Pegram

All good humans.

I have underserved this current team but I look forward to watching those who will step up, and represent us proudly, win or lose, in the coming years.

Here is hoping that The Mighty will, next year, be the first NT-ex on my Fantasy Football team.

Go North Texas.

Go Mean Green.

My favorite "good-guy-and-role-model" from my era is Jordan Case. Here are excerpts from the 1979 Texas Football feature story about Jordan case.

"Case always was optomistic. He was overlooked by all major colleges because he tore up a knee in the next-to-last game of his senior year at Seagoville High, where wins came seldom. Only Sul Ross took him, and after one season there, he got a walk-on tryout at NTSU by writing a letter (to then coach Hayden Fry)."

"When school was ending in May, most player were relaxing or heading for jobs. Case was trying to sell his car, "because my mom broke her back, then a tornado hit her house in Kleberg. So I need to help her out". That tells you something extra about Jordan Case."

Beau Davidson and Chad Rose.

These two have been my daughter's Jr. Mean Green Club buddies in past years.

On Saturday, despite the loss, both of them took time to say hello to my daughter and talk to her. Beau looked upset, but began to smile as soon my daughter spoke to him. Both of these guys are quality young men.

We have lots of good guys on this team, but Blake Burruss has been fantastic with my son, and is a fantastic example of a college athlete for any 12 year old. Blake is the son of a football coach, which is likely the key to him being so down to earth and good with fans. There are lots of nice players on this team, but only one of them picked my son up at the bonfire and hugged him. Chris talked about that for three weeks. I dont know how Blakes numbers looked this year, but my son caught every QB pressure he caused. NT Football is one of the special things I share with Chris, and to hear him yell "Blakes out there!!" means he is actually watching the game with me. Johnny Quinn is an outstanding young man, no doubt... and is also a great role model for these kids. I am still very happy with the role model my son picked over the last two years. I think Blake will make a fine football coach himself one day. I honestly hope he teaches his players to show as much class and humility as he does. Kids know when someone is sincere, and those are lasting impressions...

GMG!!!

There are many good guys on this team. In fact, let me mention one that positively impacted my son: My then 8 year old brought his recorder out on the field and asked Jamario if he would answer a few questions after a game. Jamario stopped what he was doing (celebrating a win with his family and friends), kneeled down and looked right at Ian in both question and reply.

I really enjoy watching these guys, win or lose. Most all (if not all) of them are high character guys, work hard to represent their university, have a strong work ethic and do their best each game.

Sometimes we focus so intently on the negative that we overlook what is right and good about this program.

I am excited at what the future holds for this program. I look forward to see who will emerge as stars on the field, and am grateful to all the guys that my kids like to look up to.

There are many good guys on this team. In fact, let me mention one that positively impacted my son: My then 8 year old brought his recorder out on the field and asked Jamario if he would answer a few questions after a game. Jamario stopped what he was doing (celebrating a win with his family and friends), kneeled down and looked right at Ian in both question and reply.

Be sure to pass this along to the new head coach. That's stuff they like to know about their players.

Good post Scott. I believe "The Mighty" only needs three catches to become the all time Sun Belt leader in catches. Is that correct?

I would add to the most recent list and back to the past 5 years or so just off the top of my head:

Nick Bazuldua

James Mitchell

Zack Muzzy

Sky Pruitt

Robert Peachey

Jason May

Matt Turney

Jonah Benze

Andy Brewster

Steve Warren

Cody Spencer

Kevin Galbreath

Patrick Cobbs

Brad Kadlubar

And so many more.

During my time guys I remember as always having time for the fans:

Scott Davis

Scott "Big Daddy" Boles

Sidney "Mad Dog" Bradford

Kieth Chapman

Bron Beal

Kim Phillips

Monty Moon

....................to name a few.

Rick

Congratulations to all the team, especialy the seniors. You have represented the finest in north Texas in a situation that should never have occured. However, it did and you responded as the student-athletes that have always and will always be a part of UNT -- with respect, dignity, and grace.

Our apologies for the situation we allowed to occur and wish the seniors the best in their future and the returning team -- GO UNT Eagles!!

Bill Ison, PhD

Alum 1992, 1998

My favorite "good-guy-and-role-model" from my era is Jordan Case. Here are excerpts from the 1979 Texas Football feature story about Jordan case.

"Case always was optomistic. He was overlooked by all major colleges because he tore up a knee in the next-to-last game of his senior year at Seagoville High, where wins came seldom. Only Sul Ross took him, and after one season there, he got a walk-on tryout at NTSU by writing a letter (to then coach Hayden Fry)."

"When school was ending in May, most player were relaxing or heading for jobs. Case was trying to sell his car, "because my mom broke her back, then a tornado hit her house in Kleberg. So I need to help her out". That tells you something extra about Jordan Case."

Not only is this new information that I didnot know, but also he had some kind of back problems and he remedied this by working on a Coke truck that strengthen his back muscles.

Not only is this new information that I didnot know, but also he had some kind of back problems and he remedied this by working on a Coke truck that strengthen his back muscles.

*from the same article that appeared in the 1979 Texas Football (Casing the joint, and with real persistence. by Temple Pouncy....a North Texas graduate BTW)

Case took a hard hit in the lower back in the (1978) season opener against UTEP, and when the medics surveyed damage, they found that Case had a congenitally bad back. "It's a birth defect", said Case. I'd always had backaches, but I thought that came with the game. The X-rays found the muscles around my spine were not fully developed, and a vertebrae was split. It was painfu. Every game it got worse, and it sure made me slow down running with the ball".

For most of the season, Case would play hard on Saturday, and it would take him three days to recover. "At times, on Monday I couldn't bend over," Case recalled the spring. Some of those days I could hardly walk. After the Lousiana Tech game, Joe Stephenson (his roommate and backup QB) had to help me out of bed. I was on crutches a few days that week.

Usually, Case could practice the last two or three days of each week, but on game day he received four shots in the spine."

The article went on to say that Case helped his condition a lot by lifting weights, at the suggestion of Jerry Moore. The Dallas Cowboys were interested in Case until their team Doctor confirmed that he had a congenital back problem. They (and other NFL teams) wouldn't take a chance. It (the back problem) eventually ended his Canadian Pro career.

Edited by SilverEagle