Old but interesting article on Nix

Harry

Let me preface this by saying Nix is not my top prospect for the vacant coaching job (Bruce Chambers is still my guy; sorry Cooley!) but he could well be the front runner and I am interested to learn more about him.

I have attached an older Nix article from when he was at USM and Mississippi State tried to hire him. What I found interesting from the article is that it appears that who he works for may mean as much or more than money. After some additional research it is also very apparent that he and RV have longstanding ties.

Nix played as a true freshman in Curley Hallman's last season at USM the same time that RV served as a graduate assistant. Nix would stay at USM for 10-years. As best I can tell, RV followed Hallman to LSU (1990-1995) and then left for a short stint as Director of Football operations at TCU (1995-97). Ironically it was at LSU where RV and Dickey's paths first crossed (1991-1993). He then rejoined Nix working in the USM athletic department (1997-2001) at the same time Nix was an assistant coach.

Nix owes UNT some credit for his move up to a BCS-level job. It was right after Nix and Southern Miss dismantled UNT in the New Orleans Bowl (2004) that he was hired away by Steve Spurrier and South Carolina. Your first thought is that Nix left USM for the Gamecocks because of the money and I am sure that he got a significant raise to move up to BCS ball. However, if you dig a little deeper you will find that Nix had USM ties at South Carolina as former USM coaches John Thompson and Dave Wommack who coached alongside Nix at USM were also on that Spurrier staff at South Carolina when Nix took the job.

One other thought that would play in favor of hiring Nix. There are only 5 African American head coaches currently at 119 Division I-A football programs (Ron Prince, Kansas State; Ty Willingham, Washington; Karl Dorrell, UCLA; Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State; Turner Gill, Buffalo). There have been only 25 black head coaches hired in the history of D-I college football with one of them being Matt Simon. Since 1982 there have been 414 D-I head coaching openings and just 21 african americans have been hired. There is not an african american D-I head coach in the state of Texas. I am not saying that we should base a hire on race, but I do think a school that prides itself on diversity like UNT would give this some consideration.

Nix may view this as his best chance to step up to a head coaching spot and ultimately get a shot at a bigger BCS level job. He also has a familiar face to report to.

Nix declines Sherrill's offer, stays at USM

Defensive coach cites happiness working for Bower

By Tim Doherty

tdoherty@clarionledger.com

HATTIESBURG — Southern Miss defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix turned down an offer from Mississippi State coach Jackie Sherrill to take a similar position with the Bulldogs.

Nix, a former Golden Eagles linebacker and assistant who has led USM's defense the past two years, said Friday that he had been offered the position Monday.

He made up his mind Tuesday that he wanted to remain at his alma mater, then told Sherrill Wednesday of his decision.

"Coach Sherrill offered me the opportunity to be at Mississippi State (as coordinator)," Nix said, "but I just think this is where I need to be right now."

The position came open at State last week when Sherrill dismissed five assistant coaches — including defensive coordinator Joe Lee Dunn and offensive coordinator Sparky Woods — after a 3-9 season.

Sherrill did not return phone calls Friday.

Nix, 30, said the relationships he had established with USM coach Jeff Bower, assitants, staff, players and friends in the community played key roles in his decision.

"The first thing I thought about was, 'What would make me happy?' " Nix said. "And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the things I value most are the people I work with and work for.

"Coach Bower and his belief in me, and just the feelings I have about Southern Miss, those were probably the biggest factors."

Bower, who hired his former player as a defensive tackles coach in 1995, said he was delighted that Nix was staying put.

"He's happy here, he's going to be here and we're happy he's going to be here," said Bower, who made Nix the youngest defensive coordinator in Division I-A football last season after former coordinator Dave Wommack left for Arkansas.

Making the move to State likely would have meant a healthy pay increase for Nix.

He said he and Sherrill never discussed a specific figure, but Dunn was paid a base salary of about $122,00 and another $68,000 supplement from the Bulldog Club for a total salary of about $190,000.

Nix currently earns a base of $86,000, with extra income coming from USM's summer football camps. He also will receive a bowl bonus equal to a month's salary helping the Golden Eagles earn a berth in the Dec. 27 Houston Bowl.

"There's more things out there to think about than just money," Nix said. "It's about the people you work with on a daily basis. It's about the kids coming back.

"I really believe that I work for the best coach in college football and that this is where I need to be right now."

Nix has been at USM since 1990, when he played as a true freshman in Curley Hallman's final season as head coach. After Hallman left for LSU, Bower was hired and coached his first game in the 1990 All American Bowl.

Nix started the next three years at middle linebacker, earning All-South honors in 1992 and 1993. Voted one of USM's team captains in 1993, he finished his career with 295 tackles, which ranks 12th on the USM charts.

After graduating with a management degree in 1995, Nix joined John Thompson's defensive staff as tackles coach. He coached defensive ends and outside linebackers from 1996-99, then took over the defensive backs in 2000.

In Nix's first year as coordinator, USM ranked eighth nationally in Division I-A in scoring defense (16.9 points), 11th in total defense (301.3 yards), 12th in pass efficiency defense and 13th in rushing defense (101.5 yards).

This season, USM is second in pass efficiency defense, 13th in scoring defense (17.1 points), 26th in total defense (322.3 yards) and 72nd in rushing defense (165.2 yards).

Nix said he would never say that a day might come when he would leave Hattiesburg.

But if that didn't happen, that would suit him just fine as well.

"I'd hope that I could stay here forever, but you don't ever know what's going to happen," Nix said.

Those are valid concerns. I think he would be able to recruit here given time but he is not going to be a household name among Texas High School coaches right away. I am starting to believe recruiting, especially at UNT is not as much "who you know" as it is "how hard you work at it."

Those are valid concerns.  I think he would be able to recruit here given time but he is not going to be a household name among Texas High School coaches right away.

You know that I'm not very high on Nix myself. That said, I think you could make the point that Dickey might not be a household name everywhere, either, even after nearly a decade.