3-4 defense

GrandGreen

I wonder if the supposed plan to play much more 3-4 defense is actually a significant change. As I understand in the spring this formation was mostly used with Gilmore playing the up linebacker, which to me is not very different from a standard 4-2.

NT has an abundance of good linebackers with Medoza, Holman, Monroe, Graves, Early, Nwigwe and others. This with a lack of proven defensive linemen points toward the 3-4. However last years recruiting glass contained only one linebacker and a great number of defensive lineman.

It seems that NT should be very solid at defensive end in a 4-2 set with Chapman, Ransom, Gilmore, Burriss, Pistole and others. The inside tackle positions are the problem as teams run almost at will through the NT middle defense. Pruitt, Stevenson, and Miller all return at tackle but must significantly improve to booster the defense. I think the key will be I. Thomas, if he is as good as he has demonstrated in practice; then imo NT will continue to rely on a 4-3 defense. My guess is that either Miller on fish Patton could play the other tackle with good backups in Pruitt and Stevenson.

I wonder if the supposed plan to play much more 3-4 defense is actually a significant change.  As I understand in the spring this formation was mostly used with Gilmore playing the up linebacker, which to me is not very different from a standard 4-2. 

NT has an abundance of good linebackers with Medoza, Holman, Monroe, Graves, Early, Nwigwe and others. This with a lack of proven defensive linemen points toward the 3-4.  However last years recruiting glass contained only one linebacker and a great number of defensive lineman.

It seems that NT should be very solid at defensive end in a 4-2 set with Chapman, Ransom, Gilmore, Burriss, Pistole and others.  The inside tackle positions are the problem as teams run almost at will through the NT middle defense.  Pruitt, Stevenson, and Miller all return at tackle but must significantly improve to booster the defense.  I think the key will be I. Thomas, if he is as good as he has demonstrated in practice; then imo NT will continue to rely on a 4-3 defense.  My guess is that either Miller on fish Patton could play the other tackle with good backups in Pruitt and Stevenson.

Keep in mind that Pruitt played with an injured shoulder all of last year. He had surgery and didn't participate in spring practice. Assuming that he is "committed" to his PT, the DT should be at least a little better than last year. If Ike Thomas plays this fall like he did in the spring, then (coupled with a healthy S. Pruitt) the DT position should be significantly better.