Hard Class to Assess

IslandEagle

I'm sure that Coach Dodge would give up about $30,000 per year to come coach at UNT

Flanigan finished his career at SMU amassing 7,437 career yards. He ranks among the school's career leaders in passing yards (5,640 - 4th), completions (438-4th), pass attempts (829 - 4th), TD passes (30 - 5th), and rushing yards (1,797 - 12th). He also accounted for more touchdowns than any other player, scoring 57 (30 passing, 27rushing). Flanigan's achievements have earned him a spot in our list of the 90 Greatest Moments in SMU Football History.

HAHA. Your point?

I'm sure that Coach Dodge would give up about $30,000 per year to come coach at UNT

Flanigan finished his career at SMU amassing 7,437 career yards. He ranks among the school's career leaders in passing yards (5,640 - 4th), completions (438-4th), pass attempts (829 - 4th), TD passes (30 - 5th), and rushing yards (1,797 - 12th). He also accounted for more touchdowns than any other player, scoring 57 (30 passing, 27rushing). Flanigan's achievements have earned him a spot in our list of the 90 Greatest Moments in SMU Football History.

Since you're obviously an SMU alum ("our list of the 90 Greatest Moments in SMU Football History") you should have at least gotten the facts straight. It wasn't Flannigan's performance that got him on the list (#46), but rather the team's 6-5 season in 1997 marking their first winning season since 1986 (11 years). According to the write up, the player of the year/game would have been Kelsey Adams, not Ramon Flannigan.

Now, let's address those statistics that make Coach Flannigan so great. Passing, 5,640 yards, or 1,410 average per season. Does that number look strangely close to what the UNT QBs have averaged since his arrival as QB coach and then Offensive Coordinator? Completions 438, attempts 829, that would be about a 53% completion percentage. Well, looking at UNT's starting QB statistics for 2003-2005, 55% (the 2003 and 2004 season were with Scott Hall by the way). Batting .500 in baseball makes you a hall of famer. In football, it should get the player benched, and if repeated for more than a few seasons, the coach replaced.

It seems to me that Ramon Flannigan creates offenses and QBs in his image. Just average, not a difference maker. I'm sure the players that are playing for UNT are doing their best, but I can't believe that UNT cannot find a suitable replacement for Flannigan from somewhere else.

A little more than a nickle's worth.

Since you're obviously an SMU alum ("our list of the 90 Greatest Moments in SMU Football History") you should have at least gotten the facts straight.  It wasn't Flannigan's performance that got him on the list (#46), but rather the team's 6-5 season in 1997 marking their first winning season since 1986 (11 years).  According to the write up, the player of the year/game would have been Kelsey Adams, not Ramon Flannigan.

Now, let's address those statistics that make Coach Flannigan so great.  Passing, 5,640 yards, or 1,410 average per season.  Does that number look strangely close to what the UNT QBs have averaged since his arrival as QB coach and then Offensive Coordinator?  Completions 438, attempts 829, that would be about a 53% completion percentage.  Well, looking at UNT's starting QB statistics for 2003-2005, 55% (the 2003 and 2004 season were with Scott Hall by the way).  Batting .500 in baseball makes you a hall of famer.  In football, it should get the player benched, and if repeated for more than a few seasons, the coach replaced.

It seems to me that Ramon Flannigan creates offenses and QBs in his image.  Just average, not a difference maker.  I'm sure the players that are playing for UNT are doing their best, but I can't believe that UNT cannot find a suitable replacement for Flannigan from somewhere else.

A little more than a nickle's worth.

Great Post.

Guest GrayEagleOne

The head coaches salaries for the 4A and 5A schools was recently published in the DMN and Todd Dodge's salary is in the $90,000 range. DD can make about $300M if he met all of his incentives.