Herb Larkins update...day 4

this was part of Billy's E-mail

I think Herbs mom has added to Herb excitement. Today he said that he found this whole thing as being awesome. In todays mail a number of people were from NorthTexas and it made herb feel that North Texas is a major player in this This whole thing is so spiritual and magical that if you saw what you have created it would bring tears to your eyes.

-----Original Message-----

The irony of Billy's message is North Texas is not a "major player".The three other sites that I have posted are the "major players". I messed up and told you here to put NT down in your letter.But in the other sites I gave firm instructions not to mention anything.Just "from a guardian angel".

So some of you here have responded and Herbs only clue is from the NT people here in "gomeangreen".

Over 540 people read my plea in "everyone read" post back on Dec 20th.Another 245 read my "plea to harry".

Only a few of you responded and several of you explained why.I do understand that.But if you read my posts you can see I'm writing from the heart.

I'm not sure how many of you just sent out envelopes but don't post.Hopefully some of the 780 people that read my story just did that.If it wasn't for a few like Plumm-Mean green-UNT lifer,UNT girl,and Greenbat this post probaly would of died.

Herb has received around $2400 dollars so far.About 99% of that came from other sites.[i think} North Texas State or UNT is the place that 99% should be coming from.

He was one of us.He blood was "mean green".He left his dorm room at Kerr to practice,stopped at Maple to see his girlfriend,and 30 minuts later,never moved his arms or legs again.That's 1970.Many of you weren't even born yet.

Please send him $5.00 or more.And just maybe there are many of you here that are silent and sent out your donation. And if thats the case I humbly aplogize.

Thank you again UNT lifer,girl,greenbat and Plumm.

I'll give you an update today..

island I agree.It doesn't matter where it came from.I know of at least 10 Texans that sent something and have nothing to do with NT. But if only 10 people from this site send money and 9 of you put NT down[excluding you] and 300 letters come from all 50 states he might assume that all 300 are from North Texas grads or alumni .Granted it doesn't make any difference but why give him a false impression when North Texas did absolutly nothing for 36 yrs. The NJ Nets and Lou Carnesecca raised the money for his van in 1982. Coach Robbins wouldn't even send me some game film of him[16 mm] in fear he might use it as part of a law suit.When I requested some old games NT's officials said you have to contact the coach.I tracked Robbins down in Oklahoma I think coaching HS ball.But he never sent one single film.

NT gave him a black and white TV. And it was 12".They paid his bill only in Dallas for 3 months.They didn't pay his telephone bill.Don't get me started. And the reason he never sued NT was he was also dealing with depression and a few others things.By the time he got his act together statue of limitations set in.[think it was 5 yrs or 7]

I'm sorry..I'm bitter and you people are the wrong ones for me to sound off on.My bad.

I'm not telling Herb where it came from.And your right in what you said.He's going to get something to improve his life.It doesn't matter...

but please send a donation ..it's not to late... and I'm sorry again about this post..My bad..

First of all....I sent some money. (A heckuva lot more than $5, too).

But I really resent you coming on here, and berating the UNT fans on this board for not sending enough.

Hey Herb Larkins was even before my time. I had never heard of the guy or his story until you posted it on here.

I told you, that if you really wanted to have more legitimacy, you should:

1) Give your own name and the year you graduated.

2) Give out the names of these other websites, where total strangers are coming through like gangbusters.

You did neither.

Hey, I'm not afraid to give my name. It's John McDowell, class of '79. A lot of the folks on here know me. When you made your first post on here about Herb, it was your 12th post total, as I recall. So, it's not like 125th Street Gang was a board regular.

I'm sorry about Mr. Larkin's fate. And if North Texas did very little for him, that's not right.

But, I've got to say.....your daily bitching about this board's response and North Texas, is making me wish I hadn't sent anything.

John McDowell

class of '79

[ Smug,you are 100% right.I am sorry.I don't have a right to do that.I'm upset at the wrong people.Not you people here.I know I'm wrong.What NT did 35 yrs ago has nothing to do with this site and you all here are trying to help.

I didn't mean any disrepect to this site,Harry and the rest who have read this or posted here.

I am sorry if I offended anyone.I don't want my name involved because I don't want Herb to know.I'll gladly e-mail you and give you my name and backround.

But,your right...it does look like I'm bitching and moaning about something I have no right to do. Again,I'm sorry.I'm trying to do something right and I'm complaining.

I guess I thought many here would remember what happened to Herb.But like you said,"you never heard about him either.

I promise not to be negative just positive. I want to thank all of you that did send something out.I'll give you all an update later tonight or tomr. morning.

125th Street Gang,

Feel free to private message me. But in the private message, please give your name, the year that you graduated, and those three websites that you've touted.

Otherwise, if you're going to keep playing this coy game, it gets us nowhere.

I want to believe you're legit. I really do. But, the onus is on you, to prove that you're legit.....not us.

You're the one begging and pleading for money.

Finally.....since you're being so secretive about things....one wonders:

Are you Herb Larkins????????????

125th Gang and SUMG-

I can end your argument now by asking 125th street gang a questions to verify he is not the spookyman you claim he is, SUMG.....and it will be a simple:

125th Street Gang: If you played on the P.E. Club softball team in 1968-1969 (fast pitch) we played on the same team. Question: How many fingers did our pitcher have on his pictching hand???????

Here's my problem. Your original email made a specfic reference to "North Texas has never ever ever ever ever done one thing for Herb." Then you come on to the gomeangreen.com board and tell us Herb's story. Many of us have never heard his story before and were moved by it. You ask us to help and send it from his Guardian Angels?

No, I want him to know that North Texas IS willing to help. WE ARE DIFFERENT. This is a different time, with a different community, with a different outlook trying to right some of the many wrongs of the past.

Remember, you brought this story to us and how we choose to help is of our decision and I choose to let him know that North Texas does care and that things are much different than his days in Denton.

LoveMG--

All I can say is that you are, unfortunately, wrong. I know I have met him, even though I can not remember what he looks like, on the intramural field and I knew some of his buds from class and met a couple of his buds who were in the Sammies back in the late 60's & early 70's.

If that does not satisfy you then you can still be suspect. That is your choice. My intellect has been satisfied.