New formation?

meangreendork

Guest JohnDenver

Sometime in the 2nd quarter (I think) I saw the offense line up with Danny at shotgun, then JT and PC on his right side. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this formation hasn't been used here before. Anyways- what formation is that, and is it new for our team?

I think it was meant as a trick play (of sorts). The D thought it was obviously going to the right, since both running backs, TE and WR were over there. Instead we passed it to the left in a quick WR screen.. It worked and we picked up the first down.

That is the first time I have ever seen that happen.

When a play like that works, just stand up and applaud, but don't try and figure out any plays or frankly anything this coaching staff does, as it will do nothing but frustrate you in the long run.

I still can't figure out why we just let them run the clock down once they couldn't get a first down late in the 4th...

When a play like that works, just stand up and applaud, but don't try and figure out any plays or frankly anything this coaching staff does, as it will do nothing but frustrate you in the long run.

I still can't figure out why we just let them run the clock down once they couldn't get a first down late in the 4th...

What the hell are you talking about they had a first down on the 10 yard line with 34 sec. to go.

Guest JohnDenver

What the hell are you talking about? huh.gif

He is talking about when there was around 2:20 left in the game and ULL had it on the 10 yard line. Preserve some clock and still try to stop them If they get a field goal, it is tied. If they don't, you have 2 minutes left to try to score. Let's be honest, we weren't going to stop them and the clock management was TERRIBLE.

Obviously those "saved" timeouts don't work for us when we have 34 seconds left.

What the hell are you talking about? huh.gif

He is talking about when there was around 2:20 left in the game and ULL had it on the 10 yard line. Preserve some clock and still try to stop them If they get a field goal, it is tied. If they don't, you have 2 minutes left to try to score. Let's be honest, we weren't going to stop them and the clock management was TERRIBLE.

Obviously those "saved" timeouts don't work for us when we have 34 seconds left.

NT was up by 4 so ULL was going for a TD on those four plays, no FG. Our defense was gassed at that point in the game (10 yd line). The timeouts would have given our guys time to regroup and kept time for us on offense if they scored. It was poor not to use the timeouts.

Guest JohnDenver

NT was up by 4 so ULL was going for a TD on those four plays, no FG.  Our defense was gassed at that point in the game (10 yd line).  The timeouts would have given our guys time to regroup and kept time for us on offense if they scored.  It was poor not to use the timeouts.

Alright, I was off by 1 point wink.gif

But yes, our D was gassed and needed a breather. I agree 100%.

A very bold call at that point where ULL had it on our 10 with 2 minutes and counting, would have had our tired D to LET THEM SCORE.

ULL couldn't stop us either for the most part at that point of the game. Had we let them score, (It's not illegal), we would have only been down by 3 and had over two minutes and two time outs to work with to either move down the field for the win or get within Baz's range to send it into overtime. Instead, we let them run off nearly 2 full minutes inside the 10, leaving us with 30 or so seconds left prior to the kickoff fumble. Had we had more time to work with maybe Johnny wouldn't have been so compelled to try and do it all himself on the return, which ended with the fumble at the end? Who knows? I commend his efforts just the same for trying to do just that.

God Bless Johnny Quinn.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

A very bold call at that point where ULL had it on our 10 with 2 minutes and counting, would have had our tired D to LET THEM SCORE.

ULL couldn't stop us either for the most part at that point of the game.  Had we let them score, (It's not illegal), we would have only been down by 3 and had over two minutes and two time outs to work with to either move down the field for the win or get within Baz's range to send it into overtime.    Instead, we let them run off nearly 2 full minutes inside the 10, leaving us with 30 or so seconds left prior to the kickoff fumble.    Had we had more time to work with maybe Johnny wouldn't have been so compelled to try and do it all himself on the return, which ended with the fumble at the end?  Who knows?  I commend his efforts just the same for trying to do just that. 

God Bless Johnny Quinn.

Rick

I was on the sideline/track after his fumble- I haven't seen someone look that distraught in quite some time. I was glad to see his teammates come by and tell him things like, "Don't worry about it," or, "You'll burn them next time".

JQ- I doubt you read this board but:

You would've been a hero for a week or two if you brought that ball back- but it wouldn't compare to everything else you've done before that. You're already a legend for the current generation of NT fans as it is.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Back to the original subject of the formation, isn't this the same formation that was tried later after JT was out, on one play for no gain, and then again on the very next play for ....... surprise ...... NO GAIN?!

I believe our coaching staff has misinterpreted the old adage 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.' They have twisted it into 'If it's broke, don't fix it.'

Now, Ramon, don't go getting all fired up. You coaches should be honored that you have a job that interests people enough for them to comment on it publicly. There is a lot more to it than us fans, but we fans are part of it. Think of us as really really unobjective journalists, not regulated by professional codes of conduct in our fandom and not guided by having to worry about keeping our jobs as fans. Because that's the way it is.

Instead, we let them run off nearly 2 full minutes inside the 10, leaving us with 30 or so seconds left prior to the kickoff fumble. 

Rick

They kicked off with 1:10 on the clock the return left us with 58 sec on the closck with two time outs. With the two time outs the off. could have used running plays and passes in the center of the field not just sideline plays. At the end of the first half they moved the ball 46 yards in 7 plays with no time outs and it took 1:12. Could or would that happened again we will never know.