MG veterans of the 70s

mad dog

What can you tell me about K Iseed Khoury? Looking through the media guide, he looks like a beast, holding the record for longest field goal at 62 yards and also holding 3 of the top five. How come I've never heard of him?

Edited by illuvius32

Yes, Khoury is the soccer coach at DHS. He has been a fixture in the soccer community since his time at North Texas. Iseed was a member of NT's Men's Soccer Team, when we had one and they were very good, that Fry convinced to give football a try. There is a great story about Khoury trying to run with the ball. Maybe someone on here can recall the details, but it is hilarious.

What can you tell me about K Iseed Khoury?  Looking through the media guide, he looks like a beast, holding the record for longest field goal at 62 yards and also holding 3 of the top five.  How come I've never heard of him?

---He partly was a victum of timing... Texas had Erxleban, OU had Van Schaman, and Aggies had Tony Franklin (played for Philly, tragic end in an auto accident) plus I think Arkansas had a good one as well. There was an insane number of unbelievable kickers those years especially in the southwest. The odd thing was most of that group had their longest kick on the same day. There was a awful norther moving through Texas. Permian's Russell Wheatley set the Texas HS record with a 62 yard FG in Abilene that day with a 40+ mph tail wind.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

What can you tell me about K Iseed Khoury?  Looking through the media guide, he looks like a beast, holding the record for longest field goal at 62 yards and also holding 3 of the top five.  How come I've never heard of him?

I believe Iseed kicked that field goal against the U of Richmond Spiders (at their place) as I recall hearing that action on the MGRN with Bill Mercer back then. Seems our games were on KDNT 1440 AM at that time, too.

I also knew his brother "Isa" who was one of NT's first soccer stars as I recall.

We were playing La Tech in Shreveport when Coach Fry called for an onside kick. The play was for Khoury to just dribble it straight off the tee for 10 yards and then to cover it himself. It worked perfectly but in the mad scramble for the ball, Khoury was knocked out cold. Luckily it didn't affect the outcome of the game and I don't remember Fry ever calling for that play again.

We were playing La Tech in Shreveport when Coach Fry called for an onside kick. The play was for Khoury to just dribble it straight off the tee for 10 yards and then to cover it himself. It worked perfectly but in the mad scramble for the ball, Khoury was knocked out cold. Luckily it didn't affect the outcome of the game and I don't remember Fry ever calling for that play again.

Was at that memorable game when I believe the Dawgs were on a drive for what would have probably been the winning TD. This is when Alvin HS ex and Mean Green star Nelson Barnes stepped up and slobber-knocked the La Tech RB so hard he caused a fumble (which the Mean Green recovered). This became one of our 5 wins over La Tech; they've had 4 over us.

Was at that memorable game when I believe the Dawgs were on a drive for what would have probably been the winning TD.  This is when Alvin HS ex and Mean Green star Nelson Barnes stepped up and  slobber-knocked the La Tech RB so hard he caused a fumble (which the Mean Green recovered).  This became one of our 5 wins over La Tech; they've had 4  over us.

That was the same game where J.T. Smith took an interception back 99 yards. Looking back, that was a helluva game!