UNT working to attact young fans ?

MeanGreen61

Attract the youngsters & some of the parents will follow.

Partnering Across Denton for Student Success

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 08/24/2005

user posted image

DENTON (8/24/05) - The University of North Texas Athletics Department and the Denton Independent School District are sponsoring a special promotion during the 2005-2006 academic year to encourage and promote student success. All DISD Elementary students who are placed on the A/B honor roll for the first six weeks of school will receive a free ticket to the Mean Green’s November 5th game versus Louisiana-Lafayette.

Students who participate in this promotion and their parents will be honored at the game via a video board presentation and announcements. Last year, over 8,000 students in the DISD made the honor roll.

For more information, call 940-369-7169.

Attract the youngsters & some of the parents will follow.

Partnering Across Denton for Student Success 

Release: 08/24/2005

user posted image

DENTON (8/24/05) - The University of North Texas Athletics Department and the Denton Independent School District are sponsoring a special promotion during the 2005-2006 academic year to encourage and promote student success. All DISD Elementary students who are placed on the A/B honor roll for the first six weeks of school will receive a free ticket to the Mean Green’s November 5th game versus Louisiana-Lafayette.

Students who participate in this promotion and their parents will be honored at the game via a video board presentation and announcements. Last year, over 8,000 students in the DISD made the honor roll. 

For more information, call 940-369-7169.

Now this article gets this 1976 NT grad fired up! This is what its all about IMHO. We all need to do our part, too.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Man this has got my pants doing a happy dance. Reaching out to Denton area kids is exactly what we need to be doing.

Let's take it one step further though. We could have people on this board contribute money to get local kids to the games. We could come up with some cool name for it like "Adopt a kid" or "Scrappy's students" or, wait I've got it, how about....drum roll please....Kid's Korner!

I think it would be cool to do a small section of the stands, on the students' side, for kids and their parents. I realize a lot of families take advantage of the AMAZING Dominoes Family Pack, but maybe we could move it over. Doesn't matter which side of the stadium, just that it's there.

It would be like the Ranger's games, where they've got a nifty name

for it and all - like the Fox Box.

We could call it Eagle's Perch, or Scrappy Alley, or the Mean Green Scene (I know those are all really corny, but unless we have some sort of corporate sponsor for the area with a catchy easily-rhymed name, we're SOL)

Edited by untgirl04

Man this has got my pants doing a happy dance.  Reaching out to Denton area kids is exactly what we need to be doing. 

Let's take it one step further though.  We could have people on this board contribute money to get local kids to the games.  We could come up with some cool name for it like "Adopt a kid" or "Scrappy's students" or, wait I've got it, how about....drum roll please....Kid's Korner!

ohmy.gif

I have an idea, but it may be too radical for consideration.

Why don't we gear promotions towards people that may actually buy tickets.

This promo is all cute and everything, but these low hanging fruit promotions, (kindergartners, orphans, band days, cub scouts, prison inmates, political detainees, etc) do NOTHING to help build the fan base. At best, it only gives the illusion that fans are in the stands.

We have got to start targeting those people that have the potential interest to buy tickets. Until then, we're just fooling ourselves.

I have an idea, but it may be too radical for consideration.

Why don't we gear promotions towards people that may actually buy tickets.

This promo is all cute and everything, but these low hanging fruit promotions, (kindergartners, orphans, band days, cub scouts, prison inmates, political detainees, etc) do NOTHING to help build the fan base. At best, it only gives the illusion that fans are in the stands.

We have got to start targeting those people that have the potential interest to buy tickets. Until then, we're just fooling ourselves.

Well think of it this way, if 5 to 8 thousand kids get free tickets to the game, and just half of them show up thats around 3500 kids coming to the game. Now for those kids to come to the game someone has to bring them. So thats around 4500 to 7000 potential tickets sold to the parents that are bringing their kids to the game to use their free ticket.

4500 to 7000 parents are going to show up and spend their money to park, buy tickets, and buy concessions because their kid was given a free end zone bleacher seat ticket to some college game that they have absolutely no emotional connection to......

NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

The majority of promotions MUST be geared towards people that will want to buy tickets in the future.

Well think of it this way, if 5 to 8 thousand kids get free tickets to the game, and just half of them show up thats around 3500 kids coming to the game.  Now for those kids to come to the game someone has to bring them.  So thats around 4500 to 7000 potential tickets sold to the parents that are bringing their kids to the game to use their free ticket.

And, you show the kids a good time, they will pester their parents to come again, and again, and again.

Guest UNTMike81*

I'm sure most Dad's that follow College or Pro football have now heard about Cobbs & J-Mo. I thinks there's going to be a lot more people at games than some might think as this will be the only yr. you can see two national rushing champions in the same back field.

You might see a lot of TCU and SMU fans at games that will never admit they came. If they don't show up it's only because were in the little old sunbelt and that lame excuse is so tired and trampled on. At least for the Tulsa game SMU'ers can say that they just came to see a team that they would have to play in their conference.

How are we doing in season ticket sales as compared to other division 1 schools with a similar size enrollment, and how about donation levels?

Bingo.

Please don't get me wrong, I have nothing against giving away end zone tickets to children's groups, bands, space aliens, or whatever else. I consider those seats to be an unsellable commodity anyway, and we may as well have children running around down there.

Where I see a problem is that this promotion appears to be the basis for the plan to raise attendance.

We need to be PROMOTING TO ALUMNI.

The product is good, and there are a whole lot of alumni out there. Is there enough being done to bring them to the product? I guess we will only know through monitoring ticket sales and donation levels.