Most important game for MUTS- Bama?NT?

MeanGreen61

A win over Bama would mean more to their program than a win over us.

Yeah La.Tech beat Bama in 1997 and 1999.

Since then Tech has gone:

3-9

7-5

4-8

5-7

6-6

MTSU going 8-3 in 2001 and staying home was a horrible blow up there with Larry Fedora leaving as offensive coordinator. They've been hit or miss ever since.

Yeah La.Tech beat Bama in 1997 and 1999.

Since then Tech has gone:

3-9

7-5

4-8

5-7

6-6

MTSU going 8-3 in 2001 and staying home was a horrible blow up there with Larry Fedora leaving as offensive coordinator. They've been hit or miss ever since.

Thanks for that info Arkstfan because with what you have posted is why I don't get that excited about what a win over a Texas or an LSU would do for our program in the long run. One simply has to look at what 2 wins over the Crimson Tide has done for La Tech? How about jack squat? blink.gif Check La Tech's board and see if they have any significant construction plans on the drawing boards.

I see SBC football championships (sure the Belt is not on a par with the Big 12 but big "freakin" deal) and I see 4 trips to the New Orleans Bowl BUT I ALSO SEE................200 acres at the new Mean Green Village with construction already completed, construction in progress and with even more construction projects on the way that will be topped off with a brand spankin' new 35-40,000 seat football stadium. cool.gif

Heck yes we'd "ALL" like to knock off a Top 10 school, but lets be realistic with how that would really impact our program long-term, too; once again, I defer to La Tech's example.

(Just curious about this, but how high were the Crimson Tide ranked when La Tech got their 2 wins)?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

It is a tough question to ask North Texas fans... while we have won plenty of Sun Belt games, we have not had a lot of luck in OOC. So I think that our fans put a higher price tag/value on winning OOC games - especially those against BCS teams. But if you are a team like MTSU, then you probably want to beat NT more then Bama... one win gets you closer to your first bowl game and the other doesn't.

(Just curious about this, but  how high were the Crimson Tide ranked when La Tech got their 2 wins)?

In 1997 Bama was 4-3 coming in and spiraled in for a 4-7 record.

In 1999 Bama was 2-0 coming in and finished 10-3 winning their division and SEC title game (totally thrashed Florida) and lost to Michigan in the Orange Bowl which put them at 8th in the final polls.

Tech finished 9-2 and univited as an independent in 1997 and 8-3 and uninvited in 1999 as an independent.

It is a tough question to ask North Texas fans... while we have won plenty of Sun Belt games, we have not had a lot of luck in OOC.  So I think that our fans put a higher price tag/value on winning OOC games - especially those against BCS teams.  But if you are a team like MTSU, then you probably want to beat NT more then Bama... one win gets you closer to your first bowl game and the other doesn't.

The bowl trips have helped get UNT some respect but to really get noticed means taking that next step. Boise won the Big West in 2000 and their "best" win was over UTEP in the Humanitarian. In 2002 they won the WAC and their best win was over Iowa State in the Humanitarian. In 2003 they won the WAC again and their "best" win was over TCU in the Ft. Worth Bowl. In 2004 they again won the WAC and their best win was over Oregon State in their first regular season win over a BCS school (and only their second since moving to I-A).