NT Football: Back on the field

NT80

Football: Back on the field

North Texas begins practice at new training facility

08:40 AM CDT on Thursday, August 11, 2005

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

A freshman recruiting class that includes multiple athletes with the ability to play more than one position gave North Texas coach Darrell Dickey plenty of options during the opening day of fall practice on Wednesday.

DRC/Gary Payne

North Texas wide receiver Johnny Quinn attempts to catch a pass during drills while Deavin Cox (11) tries to break up the play at Wednesday’s practice.

Due to the Mean Green’s needs, Dickey decided to load up in his defensive backfield.

Korey Washington, Dominique Green and Desmond Chatman all worked with the rest of UNT’s defensive backs during the opening day of practice at the Mean Green Athletic Complex. Each played another position at least part time in high school.

“They are where they are at for the time being,” Dickey said. “As we progress, if we feel like a guy can play another position better or get on the field quicker we will take a look at that. We have some needs at defensive back and want to take a look at those guys.”

Washington was one of the top quarterbacks in the Austin area last season, while Chatman rushed for 1,096 yards at Conroe. Green was a Class 6A all-state wide receiver in Lawton (Okla.) Eisenhower, where he also earned all-state honors as a defensive back.

“I will play anywhere I can help the team,” Green said. “They are looking at me as a cornerback.”

UNT returns just one starter from its defensive backfield in cornerback T.J. Covington. Ja’Mel Branch, who played wide receiver in his first three years with the Mean Green, is expected to start at the other cornerback spot.

UNT lost both of its starting safeties after last season and could look to its incoming freshmen to push sophomores Cliff Higgs and Roderick Cotton, who enter the fall atop the depth chart. Junior college transfer Aaron Weathers is also expected to push for playing time at safety.

UNT has a history of playing freshmen in its defensive backfield. Former UNT standout Jonas Buckles was named first-team All-Sun Belt Conference as a freshman before finishing his career last season. Craig Jones was also a four-year starter at safety for the Mean Green before finishing his career in 2003.

Dickey impressed with freshmen class

North Texas’ newest recruits had their first chance to make an impression on the Mean Green’s coaching staff on Wednesday

For the most part, they reached that goal.

UNT’s freshmen went through a series of drills in their first practice that gave the team’s coaches a chance to find out which players were in shape for the beginning of fall camp. The drills also gave UNT’s coaches a chance to get a better idea of where each player might fit in this season.

“I was very pleased with the attitude and effort,” Dickey said. “I was also very pleased with the athletic ability of the entire group. None of them are in good enough condition to play a four-quarter game, but if they take care of their bodies and continue working, we will bring them along to where they can. If they can handle the physical part of the game and pick up what we do, there are a few who might help us this year.”

Green relished the opportunity to get back out on the field after waiting all summer in anticipation of starting his college career.

“I enjoyed the first day,” Green said. “I have been real anxious to get out here since I signed. There are a lot of good players here who are working hard and want to get on the field.”

Meager takes light reps

North Texas’ coaches are easing redshirt freshman quarterback Daniel Meager back into the Mean Green’s practice routine.

Meager tore a tendon in his shoulder during spring practice and missed most of the Mean Green’s workouts. The injury required surgery.

Meager resumed throwing over the summer and participated in UNT’s first workout of fall practice.

UNT offensive coordinator Ramon Flanigan said the coaching staff wants to limit the number of passes Meager throws as he works his way back into playing condition.

Meager enters fall practice atop UNT’s depth chart at quarterback.

Briefly …

Former Sanger standout Chris Higgs has joined the UNT football team as a walk-on. Chris Higgs’ older brother, Cliff, entered fall practice listed as the Mean Green’s starter at strong safety.

This appears on Yahoo.... taken from Ft. Worth Star Telegram apparently. It contains some comments from Dickey and some others.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=kn...night&type=lgns

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66