TxTech & Reality TV: Should The NCAA Shut This

I know this is more about Bobby Knight than the perennial Big 12 middle of the pack Texas Tech athletic program (althought they did good in basketball last year), but I wonder if Myles Brand and the NCAA may be a bit antsy dealing with anything that involves Bobby Knight? After all, NCAA president Brand was the one who fired Knight at Indiana several years ago. cool.gif

I don't see how doing tv shows on top basketball programs gives the program an unfair advantage, even if they didn't have the TV show, top recruits would still be wanting to go play for Bobby Knight in Lubbock. ESPN did a The Season on Gonzaga Basketball a few years back. Top recruits are going to know about these programs and want to go play for them whether or not they have a tv show. If you used that theory, then I guess Fox Sports Net should pull Big XII Showcase off the air since it gives Big XII teams a unfair advantage.

I don't see how doing tv shows on top basketball programs gives the program an unfair advantage, even if they didn't have the TV show, top recruits would still be wanting to go play for Bobby Knight in Lubbock. ESPN did a The Season on Gonzaga Basketball a few years back. Top recruits are going to know about these programs and want to go play for them whether or not they have a tv show. If you used that theory, then I guess Fox Sports Net should pull Big XII Showcase off the air since it gives Big XII teams a unfair advantage.

So why give them the additional advantage if they all want to play for General Knight as it is?

Have you ever heard this pr-ck on KTCK 1310 The Ticket? He's an A$$hole of the highest order and I think he and his good buddy Bill Parcels should go back to where they are from (and it sure as hell ain't TEXAS)! sad.gif

Both Knight and Parcells seem to forget that if not for the media (who they obviously disdain), no one would give a damn about either OR know a damn thing about how blankety blank eccentric and self-serving they are.

League coverage on TV is fine, but this is all about only one school. If TTech or any "one" school is offered such a TV perc, then all schools should have the same opportunity and that is the M.O. in how the NCAA used to operate in the past. Just my .02. blink.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Jimmy.....maybe you haven't heard......NBC carries Notre Dame football and ONLY Notre Dame football. And as the other poster noted, ESPN's "The Season" chronicles an entire year at ONE particular program. (like Gonzaga in hoops; Arizona in football, back when Mackovic was there).

So, I think this should be allowed. I have nothing against TTech or Knight.

Edited by SUMG

Jimmy.....maybe you haven't heard......NBC carries Notre Dame football and ONLY Notre Dame football.  And as the other poster noted, ESPN's "The Season" chronicles an entire year at ONE particular program. (like Gonzaga in hoops; Arizona in football, back when Mackovic was there).

So, I think this should be allowed. I have nothing against TTech or Knight.

If anything, it might hurt Knight's recruiting. Unlike in-house productions, Tech will have no control over this or over censoring Bobby's on/off the court metdowns. Plummer, you have a jealousy thing going on when it comes to other programs, just letit go - we are at an unfair advantage and always will be. Just support the teams and enjoy the games.

rolleyes.gif

If anything, it might hurt Knight's recruiting.  Unlike in-house productions, Tech will have no control over this or over censoring Bobby's on/off the court metdowns.  Plummer, you have a jealousy thing going on when it comes to other programs, just letit go - we are at an unfair advantage and always will be.  Just support the teams and enjoy the games.

Stebo, at age 54 going on 55 being jealous of much anything is hardly a part of my personna, make-up or disposition. Never was much the jealous type anyway and anyone who has known me much of my first 54 years would probably concur.

Being opinionated seems to bother some about me more than anything. Guess they will have to continue being bothered.sad.gif Hey, I've been around 54 years and have about 54 years worth of opinions on a variety of subjects--32 years worth of opinions about NT Athletics, specifically football---sorry. huh.gif

Even now, I'd rather be talking about Bobby Knight and the subject of this thread than responding to you, stebo, about myself and of your humble opinion thinking I am jealous of some person, some school or something. rolleyes.gif Texas Tech is a fine school whose athletic teams during most of my lifetime whether they were in the SWC or the Big 12 usually have finished in the middle-of-the-pack. Who would be jealous of that? blink.gif

I think Texas Tech's Bobby Knight is a foul-mouthed sumbich' yankee jerk that doesn't need to be pampered with any kind of special publicity, especially of a national television variety. Have you ever heard this jerk, stebo, on his afternoon KTCK radio show during basketball season?

So....in my heart of hearts, I am mostly humored how my opinions concerning Bobby Knight, Texas Tech or the subject at hand could even be considered tantamount of me being jealous? There may be more suitable adjectives for it, but jealousy is not one of them.

PS: OK, confession time (they say its good for the soul and all that); anyway, I am jealous that you Young Gun Alums (of which seems like yesterday I was one myself) will be around longer to enjoy a state-of-the-art football stadium at Eagle Point Campus than my group of the B'Boomer generation-so you did catch me in a weak moment after all because of "THAT" ! laugh.gif (But I will get over it and find some solace that at least that facility will one day stand out on that rolling Texas prairieland). rolleyes.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen