A couple of Meager article links

Harry

Thinking back over the last 30 plus years I've followed the Mean Green, Dan Meager is one of a very elite group that NT recruited as a QB that has the Texas HS football credentials coupled with all the recruiting interest that he drew from many major NCAA football programs. In fact, , I'm not sure we've ever had one at UNT that drew the enormous amount of interests as Harry's linked articles say about Meager.

Actually, Port Arthur Lincoln's Kenny Washington who NT Coach Hayden Fry recruited was the last one we recruited that became a MG starting QB with similar Texas HS football QB credentials, who was fairly heavily recruited back in the day, and KW is now in the NT Athletic Hall of Fame. His brother, Joe, wasn't too shabby a RB for the OU Sooners and the Baltimore Colts. NOTE: Read in Barry Switizer's autobiography how if he had wanted a passing QB (instead of a pure wishbone QB) he would have recruited Kenny Washington.

I look forward to watching the development of NT QB Dan Meager as our QB of the future. He has the pedigree that suggests he can be a very good one in Mean Green Country in due time.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I had the opportunity to meet Meager last night (while buying a drink for PC and J Quinn...they are 21 right?). A few things struck me. First, he's not the behemoth that Byerly is. Second, he looks like a quarterback. Whatever a quarterback is supposed to look like, he looks like that. Also, Quinn introduced him as "the future of the Mean Green" so I guess he's already got one leg up when the go to receiver puts stock in him.

Love your optimism, and hope you're right, but I'm not betting the farm just yet.

I really hope his injuries are behind him. Other than his leg injury in high school and the shoulder this spring, one of these articles mentions a kidney injury and a hip flexor pull.

Question-

I asked this a while back, and I think I forgot to watch for a reply - Was it his throwing shoulder that he injured this spring? Seems like it would make a big difference in whether he will have recovered this year.

Also, Quinn introduced him as "the future of the Mean Green" so I guess he's already got one leg up when the go to receiver puts stock in him.

Or maybe he was buying the next round rolleyes.gif (Just kidding).

==========

" I visited Boston College on Junior day, they had 16 inches of snow and 12 degrees".

I Can relate to this, having spent a miserable winter in Boston sad.gif

Edited by MeanGreen61

I do believe it was his throwing shoulder.  However - he seems to be shaking off the rust and I know he is working out very hard.

This injury talk about Meager is driving me to an early grave. Hey folks! FB players have injuries and they get over them. We cannot worry about the future of any of our Mean Green players getting injured. Lets worry more about the stock market and what that nut Bin Laden is now up to.

Some players have a series of injuries, get over that run of bad luck and then get with the program and carry on. Scott Hall missed almost a whole season with an injury but he had a darn good career at NORTH TEXAS and will soon be in its NT Athletic Hall of Fame.

In HS, Dan Meager has come back from injury and performed quite admirably. I am on board with the Mighty Quinn and agree with our receiver that this young man from Richardson Pearce HS is the future at NORTH TEXAS. cool.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I had the opportunity to meet Meager last night (while buying a drink for PC and J Quinn...they are 21 right?).  A few things struck me.  First, he's not the behemoth that Byerly is.  Second, he looks like a quarterback.  Whatever a quarterback is supposed to look like, he looks like that.  Also, Quinn introduced him as "the future of the Mean Green" so I guess he's already got one leg up when the go to receiver puts stock in him.

"Dan Meager: The future of the Mean Green..." (quote by All SBC receiver Johnny Quinn) smile.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

This injury talk about Meager is driving me to an early grave.  Hey folks!  FB players have injuries and they get over them.  We cannot worry about the future of any of our Mean Green players getting injured.  Lets worry more about the stock market and what that nut Bin Laden is now up to. 

Some players have a series of injuries, get over that run of bad luck and then get with the program and carry on.  Scott Hall missed almost a whole season with an injury but he had a darn good career at NORTH TEXAS and will soon be in its NT Athletic Hall of Fame.

In HS, Dan Meager has come back from injury and performed quite admirably.  I am on board with the Mighty Quinn and agree with our receiver that this young man from Richardson Pearce HS is the future at NORTH TEXAS. cool.gif

Injuries are indeed a part of the game, but it's naive to think Meager does not have a history/problem with injury. You're right, worrying will do NT fans no good, but how can we not worry?

My number one hope for this off season has been that the Daniel Meager who shows up in two a days is the same guy I watched in practices last fall. He threw a beautiful ball, and looked comfortable and confident in drills. He stood out during practices as a guy who'd be starting if it weren't for Scott Hall.

Wednesday can't come fast enough.

Injuries are indeed a part of the game, but it's naive to think Meager does not have a history/problem with injury. You're right, worrying will do NT fans no good, but how can we not worry?

Someone once told me 99% of the things we worry about usually end up being a complete waste of mental energy. I understand where you're coming from on this subject, Got5onIt, but Dan Meager has had no more injuries than most QB's eventually experience while missing some semblance of playing time. As stated in some article or a post, Meager came back from an injury at Pearce HS to lead his team into the Texas UIL state play-offs.

Probably the most memorable Super Bowl I can recall (especially being an American Football Leauge enthusiast back in the day) was when Broadway Joe Namath (4 or 5 knee operations and all) led the New York Jets to a Super Bowl win over the Baltimore Colts. He was magnificent in that game.

I am not comparing our young Mean Green QB Meager to the NY Jet NFL Hall of Famer at this point, but QB's take their injuries, come back and make the best of what they've been dealt.

As we all know, injuries are (in deed) part of the game and NT's opponents have to deal with all this too; also, they have the same concerns about their players grades and elgibility, too.

Beginning in just a few weeks, I (along with most all of you) am looking forward to watching the development of who All SBC & future NFL receiver Johnny Quinn calls "the future of the Mean Green." I am not quite sure what we see the first few games of the season with this young Mean Green football team, but whatever that turns out to be will merely be part of our young team's overall development process. <>*<> At the end of the 2005 NCAA D1-A football season, I don't think there will be a better football team in the Sun Belt Conference than the University of North Texas MEAN GREEN, but I will concur with some of you that those first few games of the season are a concern for now. unsure.gif

Of course, Mean Green fans everywhere keep our fingers crossed that all of our Mean Green football players have no injuries or at least keep those injuries to a minimum, but like the weather, its just something we have no control.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I understand where you're coming from on this subject, Got5onIt, but Dan Meager has had no more injuries than most QB's eventually experience while missing some semblance of playing time. 

Plumm, that's the problem right there!! You said no more injuries than most quarterback's EVENTUALLY experience. Meager has had these problems before he's even taken one snap at the collegiate level.

You mention Namath and his surgeries. How old was he when he had those? Now how old is Meager?

I hope Meager lives up to the hype, but a precedent has been set for him to be injury prone. But ultimately, he could avoid more injuries while at NT, but I think that would be more shocking than not.

Guys our last two starting QB's had never taken a College Snap. Scott Hall started as a true freshman and Andrew Smith was a redshirt freshman. If I rember correctly they both did OK when they lined up under center.

Wednesday can't get here soon enough.

Guys our last two starting QB's had never taken a College Snap. Scott Hall started as a true freshman and Andrew Smith was a redshirt freshman. If I rember correctly they both did OK when they lined up under center.

Wednesday can't get here soon enough.

Actually Sunday the 14th (the first day of pads) can't get here soon enough.

---It is nice to have experienced QBs but Tech has done pretty well the past years with QBs with virtually no playing time.... They are in the same boat again.. and may end the year with a sophomore (red-shirt reshman) . They have done pretty well. Smith and Hall had no experience either, as GreenBat said, and they did ok.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the opportunity to meet Meager last night (while buying a drink for PC and J Quinn...they are 21 right?).  A few things struck me.  First, he's not the behemoth that Byerly is.  Second, he looks like a quarterback.  Whatever a quarterback is supposed to look like, he looks like that.  Also, Quinn introduced him as "the future of the Mean Green" so I guess he's already got one leg up when the go to receiver puts stock in him.

Concerning Dan Meager, I only defer to this thread by Harry (please do read the links) and the aforementioned post by Emmitt.

I think all of the Mean Green Nation would wish the best for Dan Meager, his teammates and for all of them to have an injury-free Fall camp with whats left of that.

Rumor says season and individual tickets are still available at.........1-800-UNT-2366......... These guys have done much for Denton, Texas, America, the entire NT community as well as the future of NT athletics and deserve SRO for each home game this Fall. I believe that is the part we have control of and are responsible for stepping up to the next level.

PS: Read yesterday that Middle Tennessee's (probable) 2'nd string QB is most likely lost for the season with an injury probably caused by the Blue Raiders sub-par artificial turf; you know, the kind of turf similar to that that we just replaced at Fouts? blink.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

PS: Read yesterday that Middle Tennessee's (probable) 2'nd string QB is most likely lost for the season with an injury probably caused by the Blue Raiders sub-par artificial turf; you know, the kind of turf similar to that that we just replaced at Fouts? blink.gif

GMG!

GMG!

So this means that when our Mean Green D knocks out the starter in the first quarter of our game in week two we will be chasing their THIRD string QB!