Defensive Backs

GrayEagle

Good point about classification and I'm adding in hometown. Sometimes it's easier to remember about players when we know where they're from.

I'm including both corners and safeties together even though it makes for a long report. They're somewhat interchangeable in my opinion. Corners are often a tenth of a second faster and ten to twenty pounds lighter. I realize that's generalizing without adding ability to backpedal, agility, instincts, etc.

There are 25 defensive backfield candidates, or more than six teams worth.

Kartay Agbottah FR 6-2 180 Irving

Matt Barger SO 6-2 186 Keller

Ja'Mel Branch SR 5-7 171 Katy

Antoine Bush FR 5-11 170 Tyler

Tyrone Carter JR 5-8 176 Hillsboro

Desmon Chatman FR 6-2 190 Conroe

Derrick Cooper FR 5-9 184 Wichita Falls

Roderick Cotton SO 5-10 202 Nacogdoches

TaRon Covington JR 6-2 190 Coffeyville KS

Deavin Cox SO 5-9 190 Dallas

Dominique Green FR 5-11 175 Lawton OK

Gerrod Hall SR 6-1 188 Allen

Demarcus Haskins SR 6-0 173 Douglassville

Cliff Higgs SO 6-1 222 Sanger

Montrail Mitchell SR 5-9 195 Fort Worth

Brian Nelson RF 6-0 190 Arlington

Gary Oubre SO 5-9 170 Plano? (Tfr from Coffeyville CC)

Ricardo Smith SO 6-1 213 Fort Worth

Cass Starks SR 6-1 205 Denton

Arthur Stubblefield FR 5-10 180 Aldine

Hunter Tucker FR 5-9 169 Wichita Falls

Jared Vaughn JR 6-1 203 Allen

Christopher Walthall SO 6-0 200 The Colony

Korey Washington FR 5-10 185 Cedar Park

Aaron Weathers SO 5-11 198 Bonner Springs KS (Tfr Coffeyville)

Starters: Branch, Covington, Higgs, Weathers

Backups: Carter, Cotton, Cox, Walthall

More than 1/3 of these athletes are walkons. Some have been successful; most have not. Let's eliminate those that have not been or are unlikely to be. That would leave 12 exclusive of 7 incoming freshmen. Those would be Branch, Carter, Cotton, Covington, Cox, Higgs, Nelson, Oubre, Smith, Starks, Walthall and Weathers. Other than Covington, no one has any real skins. Higgs, Cox, and Cotton are the only other ones who played last year and most of their time was on special teams. That's the bad news. The good news is threefold; new coach Van Malone had them looking sharp in spring drills, transfer Aaron Weathers is supposed to be an excellent safety, and there are some outstanding freshman athletes who will report in three weeks. Because there are so few that have game experience, I look for three or more true frosh to play. It's possible that several of the incoming DBs could be moved. Dominique Green is also and excellent wide receiver, Desmon Chatman is still listed as a running back, and Korey Washington could be pressed into service as a quarterback. But, Agbottah, Bush, and/or Stubblefield, as well as Chatman, Green, and Washington (if any end up as defensive backs) are capable of making the 2-deep roster. Those six run 4.4-4.5 40s so Coach Malone will have something to work with.

Some that were eye-catchers at spring training: Covington, as was expected; Branch, excellent switch from wide receiver, Higgs, but we were short on tight ends; Walthall, a real nose for the ball, Cotton, a real surprise to me; and Oubre, who looked small but played big.

For now, this group is just too inexperienced to rate higher than a 4.

Well GE, CFN agrees with you on a 4 rating for our defensive backfield & they have us a 6th best in the conference. Here's the comments from their review.

Defensive Backs

The pass defense was horrible allowing 241 yards per game, and that was with all-star safeties Jonas Buckles and Markeith Knowlton. T.J. Covington has to become a better number one corner while Ja'Mel Branch has to make the successful transition from receiver to corner. The safeties are big, especially Cliff Higgs, and can hit, but the jury is still out on how well they can cover.

Player to keep an eye on: SS Cliff Higgs, RFr. ... Secondary rating: 4

Projected Starters

- CB T.J. Covington, Sr. - 40 tackles, 1 sack, 2 tackles for loss, 1 interception, 3 broken up passes ... The leader of the defensive backfield, the former JUCO transfer is a strong tackler and decent cover-corner but he needs to make more plays when the ball is in the air and has to be more of a shutdown player on opposing number one receivers. His first year highlight was a 100-yard fumble return for a score against Utah State.

- FS Roderick Cotton, Soph. - 6 tackles, 1 tackle for loss ... Cotton was a decent reserve and has the makings of a top safety. He's a big hitter and had a decent spring trying to replace four-time all-conference performer Jonas Buckles.

- SS Cliff Higgs, RFr. - At 6-1 and 222 pounds, Higgs his a huge safety getting the first shot at replacing leading tackler Markeith Knowlton. He's not lightning fast, but he has good range and an intimidating presence.

- CB Ja'Mel Branch, Sr. - Branch was one of the team's better receivers, but now he'll move over to corner to try to beef up a weak area. He's only 5-7, but he's extremely quick and should do fine against speed receivers. The key will be how physical he can be.

Top Backups

- CB Deavin Cox, Soph. - 8 tackles ... Cox was a key reserve and is expected to play an even bigger role behind T.J. Covington and pushing Ja'Mel Branch for time on the other side. He's one of the best athletes in the secondary and could step in and start at any time.

- SS Christopher Walthall, Soph. - One of the team's bigger safeties, the 200-pound Walthall will challenge Cliff Higgs for time at strong safety. He could be used in nickel situations.

This is just my opinion, not that it is right but this is what I think. I think we are in trouble if we have to start Higgs and Wallthal or Cotton at the safeties. Not that they arent good players b/c if you can play at this level you must be pretty dang good. I am just want us more athletic and faster and that is all around. I think we would be better off if Mendoza was a reserve instead of playing most of the time at the Mike LB. When you look at great defenses in college you see speed everywhere and that is what I wish we look like. I think the coaching staff did a good job of recruiting speed this year.

With us playing a lot of cover 2 we need some safeties back there that can cover some ground. Hopefully Weathers is as good as advertised, and I could see a true freshman starting at the other safety. I hope Branch can make the transition, I am still worried about him. It seemed like it took Mike Pruitt a year to adjust and he had a great year last year, I think Covington will have a great year this year. Sure would be nice to lock up man-to-man quite a bit.

Safety is a big question mark. Losing Allan Harrison hurt. I think Cotton and Higgs have a legit shot but will have to play very well in two a days. Desmond Chatman is a physical specimen and Marikeith Knowlton proved that a true freshman can play the position. I think Weathers is a very good football player and he has skins on the wall. If I was to make a guess, I would say they put Weathers at the strong and Cotton at the free spot but that is subject to change. Higgs still has to prove himself to be a physical player every play.

I feel a lot better about corner. Branch can play, and Covington is an NFL draft choice if he keeps his head on straight. Deavin Cox is a capable backup and there are several freshmen who could play right away.

Safety is the biggest question mark of this team followed closely by the front four. QB is a concern but in this offense it is not critical. If you can't stop anybody it doesn't matter who is under center.

I am just want us more athletic and faster and that is all around.

Huh?? blink.gifblink.gif

Just kidding, Calvin, I think I know what you meant. Your point about Mendoza, brings up an idea (maybe stupid) that I've had for awhile. With all of our depth at LB and inexperience at DL and DB, would a 3-4 defense be better suited for us this season?

We have some serious meat on the frontline (though inexperienced). The extra LB could help plug holes on running downs. Our more agile LBs, ie Monroe & Graves, could drop back on passing plays to help the newbie safeties. Just a thought.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised to see Graves start at Safety.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised to see Graves start at Safety.

I would. He's fast for an undersized LB (211), but is slow for a safety. He also had problems with coverage last year when he played. That's all we need a DB that can't cover.

I believe that Shawn Early has played what amounts to a safety in the nickel package. If he's 100%, he could be a possibility.

We are hurting at safety. The only incoming speedster with size is Desmon Chatman and he's still penciled in as a running back. Great athlete though and could develop quickly IMO.

I believe that Shawn Early has played what amounts to a safety in the nickel package.  If he's 100%, he could be a possibility. 

We are hurting at safety.  The only incoming speedster with size is Desmon Chatman and he's still penciled in as a running back.  Great athlete though and could develop quickly IMO.

Yeah, but he was recruited by Minnesota as a DB because of his speed. We will definitely have a few options here over the next several years. wink.gif