Bashing of Fouts

Off ASU's Board:

"QUOTE (JSinLR @ Jun 27 2005, 09:57 AM)

ULM's Stadium is not that bad...at least you can see the field good. UNT has the worst stadium in the SBC...so far...have not seen FIU or FAU stadiums and they could possibly be be worse than UNT.

ASU, MTSU, ULL, & Troy all have nice stadiums.

I agree the stadium at North Texas is a joke. However I will trade stadiums for their record any day. JMOFO"

OUCH! That hurts. But, yes, I would rather have a winning record than a beautiful stadium. But wait! Can't I have both. Is that too much to ask???? sad.gif

Edited by NCMeanGreen

Off ASU's Board:

"QUOTE (JSinLR @ Jun 27 2005, 09:57 AM)

ULM's Stadium is not that bad...at least you can see the field good. UNT has the worst stadium in the SBC...so far...have not seen FIU or FAU stadiums and they could possibly be be worse than UNT.

ASU, MTSU, ULL, & Troy all have nice stadiums. 

I agree the stadium at North Texas is a joke. However I will trade stadiums for their record any day. JMOFO"

OUCH!  That hurts.  But, yes, I would rather have a winning record than a beautiful stadium.  But wait!  Can't I have both.  Is that too much to ask????  sad.gif

Oh come on now, our stadium is not a joke, its just a stadium that was built in the early 1950's and one that has a track in it. It's location is now coveted by the Texas Department of Transportation for interstate frontage expansion forcing us to build a new football stadium at Eagle Point Campus.

Those who have never been to Fouts yet are dissing it need to see the humongous and magnificent Daktronics scoreboard/replay center towering in the south endzone AND the beautiful new approx. $700,000.oo Omni-Grass being installed even now. Our new turf makes it debut on September 17'th when the Tulsa Golden Hurricane come to our campus.

I've heard many in recent years say this about Fouts Field: "It's really not as bad as advertised" and its most of us on this board who have done most of the advertising they are talking about (including yours truly). sad.gif

Fouts Field is a sufficient stadium to have until our new state-of-the-art collegiate football stadium is completed in due time. BTW, could Fouts Field have looked any better than it did when it was 99.9% full for our Big 12/ Baylor win 2 years ago? cool.gif I can't say that I've ever seen it look better than that night.

One other improvement at Fouts was I seem to remember is the expenditure of about $400,000 for electrical upgrades at the stadium....improved lighting needed for TV and vision and also for team meetings room. There was one game where the opponents locker room didn't have electricity.

It was cheaper for NT to do this than to continue to pay to rent auxiliary generators at about $50 K per game.

This may not be a very noticable improvement was really needed even for an interim use.

Granted, I'm having a heard time making out the score from the North End Zone, but Fouts still looks good when it's filled to capacity. cool.gif

user posted image

Was that picture taken at a football game? Where are the players? I'll admit I didn't go to any games last year but I sure remember that press box side of the grand stand being a little taller than it appears in that picture.

I'll be glad when we get a legitimate D-1 stadium.

Was that picture taken at a football game? Where are the players? I'll admit I didn't go to any games last year but I sure remember that press box side of the grand stand being a little taller than it appears in that picture.

I'll be glad when we get a legitimate D-1 stadium.

Your kidding right? That was from the Baylor game 2 yrs ago... When Fouts is packed like that it really isn't that bad.

Whether Fouts is packed or not the fans are a long way from the field and the seats are at such a low pitch compared to typical stadiums that a fan 20 rows up is further from the front row than a fan on row 20 at most facilities. The low pitch makes for lousy sight lines. Add in a track which makes for lousy sight lines and it is not well designed.

Any time you have a track around a field you are making compromises and in the end you are left with a less than ideal football facility and less than ideal track facility.

Whether Fouts is packed or not the fans are a long way from the field and the seats are at such a low pitch compared to typical stadiums that a fan 20 rows up is further from the front row than a fan on row 20 at most facilities. The low pitch makes for lousy sight lines. Add in a track which makes for lousy sight lines and it is not well designed.

Any time you have a track around a field you are making compromises and in the end you are left with a less than ideal football facility and less than ideal track facility.

user posted image

Your kidding right? That was from the Baylor game 2 yrs ago... When Fouts is packed like that it really isn't that bad.

I thought my level of sarcasm was obvious, but maybe I was wrong. Yes, of course I was joking. While that photo does a great job of highlighting the attendance, it doesn't paint a very flattering picture of Fouts.

If I wasn't familiar with Fouts Field, I'd have a hard distinguishing that picture from a picture of a high school stadium such as this: http://www.texashsfootball.com/board/lofiv...php/t12462.html

I thought my level of sarcasm was obvious, but maybe I was wrong. Yes, of course I was joking. While that photo does a great job of highlighting the attendance, it doesn't paint a very flattering picture of Fouts.

If I wasn't familiar with Fouts Field, I'd have a hard distinguishing that picture from a picture of a high school stadium such as this: http://www.texashsfootball.com/board/lofiv...php/t12462.html

MAN...why did you have to go and do that!?!? mad.gif Now I am truly depressed about our stadium situation. You are right...I could have sworn that second picture was Fouts. I thought you were using it as a reference point for comparison until I realized that it was not Fouts.

Pretty impressive HS football stadium, though.

I WANT OUR NEW STADIUM TODAY!!! mad.gif

Nice high school stadium. That's easy to do when you have access to taxpayer's money.

Edited by DeepGreen

Just for grins, here are a couple of links to many other high school stadiums that closely resemble Fouts...most of these stadiums are in Texas: http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthre...=&threadid=1136

http://texashsfootball.com/board/index.php...topic=3703&st=0

Be sure to click on the link to Midland's Grande Communication Stadium.

One point I'd like to make is how hard it is to recruit top-notch high school kids when our stadium is worse than their high school stadium. To make it worse, a lot of these high school kids get to play in major college or pro stadiums during the playoffs. I know a stadium isn't everything but it should certainly be pretty high on the priority list.

Edited by gangrene