Any news on Joey's status?

Byerly will not be eligible for the fall.  You can dream all you want but it will not change (unless some inside pull from the athletic dept., but we all know our athletic dept has no pull).  Let's just hope someone steps up and really surprises us!!!

Not dreaming... not saying he will or wont be... just marveling at the claims posted here and the timeframe... thats all.

Honestly.... does it really matter? I love MG football... but we all know what the playcard looks like dont we?? anyone can throw that first bomb and then hand the ball off over and over.

Shane

Byerly will not be eligible for the fall.  You can dream all you want but it will not change (unless some inside pull from the athletic dept., but we all know our athletic dept has no pull).  Let's just hope someone steps up and really surprises us!!!

Y'know what though? If he's not eligible, he's not eligible. I don't want any of this "athletic dept pull". That kind of stuff is what gets universities in trouble & makes players think they can coast through classes as there will always be someone to "make it right". I don't want to see anything going on a la Ohio State and Maurice Clarett

Y'know what though? If he's not eligible, he's not eligible. I don't want any of this "athletic dept pull". That kind of stuff is what gets universities in trouble & makes players think they can coast through classes as there will always be someone to "make it right". I don't want to see anything going on a la Ohio State and Maurice Clarett

I believe Ohio State got in trouble for paying players. We don't have to worry about that, as our athletic department jsut doesn't have to funds to misappropriate like that. wink.gif

actually what Maurice Clarrett claimed Ohio State was doing was putting players on the track to eligability and not on track to graduate. He claimed that Ohio State advisors suggested putting them in joke classes that would not lead them to getting their degree, but would keep them eligable.

Last year the NCAA changed the rules so that although the player is still required to pass 24 hours in a 24 month period, 18 of those hours must be passed in the fall and spring semesters combined. If not, no summer school hours will help you. Also, as before, you must have enough total hours to be on track to graduate, thus, if this is your third year on the team, you must have passed enough hours to be a junior. I'm not sure exactly what effect red shirting has on the hour requirements, if any.

Also unless it has changed in the last 4 years, a player only has to maintain a 1.8!!!!! GPA to be eligible.

If a player can not maintain this with all of the Academic Advisors available and the athletics help, then they do not deserve to play nor keep a scholarship. Does not matter if it is Joey, PC, or a 4th string scrub. mad.gif