How 'bout them Eagles?

GA Southern

Hello let me first introduce myself as a former student of GSU and a fan of their football team. I am in no means on your board to try to talk smack, but rather express my fellow fans interest in one day playing your school and playing in your conference.

If you dont know who GSU is then a quick run down would be our football team. It was re-started in the 80's, we have since won 6 NCAA D-1AA National Championships, #3 Adrian Peterson played for us and he was NCAA's all time rushing leader, and 2000 was the last year of our championship and 2004 was the last year that we won conference championship.

Most of the fans of GSU are interested in moving up to D-1A and the best probable conference would be the North Texas Dominated Sun Belt Conf. Much as Georgia Southern Dominates our conference (we have a winning record against everyone in our conference to date). If we were to join the sun belt we would re-start former rivalries with Mid-Tenn State and Troy State and I think we would be very competative, even if we made the jump this year. Our Stadium only holds 22K including grass seating but we have expansion plans for 30K and potential for 50K in the far future.

Basically I wanted to know what y'alls opinions were about our school and us moving into your conference. We may be D-1AA but I dont think that should be taken lightly, if you dont believe me ask Mark Richt and the 2004 Georgia Bulldogs, we scored more points against them than any other team last year but one.

Hope to hear all of your opinoins!

-Cheers!

Bring it! Seriously, I've heard your admins don't want to jump to 1-A yet. What's the timeline for that? We do need a 9th football school now but our Conference Commish says we won't add a 1-AA at this time...we have one in WKU that won't committ to 1-A. Move to 1-A then apply!

a few of our admins are morons IMO. GSU formally denounced sun belt in the past but I know it is the only fit for our school and it makes sence on many levels. The students want the move but our AD and others are playing it safe being a Shark in a small pond of I-AA and our conference. If it were my choice we would be joining in 2010 with our upgraded stadium and with our rival making the jump with us Appalacian(sp?) State.

GSU has made no formal announcement on EVER moving up but everyone thinks its inevitable, everyone but the people in charge they want to keep winning at this level and play it safe <_<

PS: this is kinda smack tongue.gif but I would love for NT to come to "Our House" and challenge our 200+W & 15L home record over the past 20 years, I honestly think it would be a great game.

Thats cool, but so did Georgia last year wink.gif Although we have never beaten a true D-1A school I must say we have one of the faster teams (speed is our edge we are by far not a big sized team) in NCAA football. And our Wishbone Option gives D's all kinds of trouble. We have had very close games with auburn, uga, florida state and others but something always happens and our lack of D-1A depth starts to show in every 4th quarter. When our option is on I dont care who we are playing we will score, its up to our D to win the game from there.

The game was a much tighter race than the score suggest.

The UGA vs. GSU game stats

Edited by GA Southern

The game was a much tighter race than the score suggest.

The UGA vs. GSU game stats

No disrespect, but reading a recap on the game indicates it was much further away than the score suggests. Georgia went up 41-14 in the 3rd, then you guys came back when they had their 2nd string in. So they put their 1st string back in and that's it.

I still think you'd be a great addition to the Sun Belt.

This is true, but if I recall correctly only their 2nd string offence went in not the D because they were having trouble stopping our run. They brought back the 1st string offence so the score would not be close and hurt their BCS standings or image.

The only reason I relate to that game so much is because that is the only D-1 school we played, a good school at that, and it is the only way I can relate our school to yours in my mind. And of course being a GSU fan I keep thinking back when the score was tied 7-7 in the 2nd quarter and I was told that was the quietest sanford stadium had ever been in recent years when that happend (by one of the old vet fans).

Anyways I am really interested in the over all thoughts about us joining your ranks and fighting for the sun bet conference championship.

Is there any talk of ever having 12 teams in the sun belt and doing a champ game?

I keep thinking back when the score was tied 7-7 in the 2nd quarter and I was told that was the quietest sanford stadium had ever been in recent years when that happend (by one of the old vet fans).

Reminds me of when we tied it up against Arkansas a couple years ago. Those pig fans shut up in a hurry.

Of course, 5 minutes later they scored two more touchdowns on us.

Reminds me of when we tied it up against Arkansas a couple years ago. Those pig fans shut up in a hurry.

The NT-Arkansas game that older Hog fans remember would be the 1968 game. Hogs squeaked out a 17-15 win but it could have easily been a loss. NT fumbled/muffed the ball inside the Hog 10 on 2nd down late in the game sad.gif

Hogs finished the season ranked in the top 10, had a 10-1 record that year, beating Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

Edited by MeanGreen61

The NT-Arkansas game that older Hog fans remember would be the 1968 game. Hogs squeaked out a 17-15 win but it could have easily been a loss. NT fumbled/muffed the ball inside the Hog 10 on 2nd down late in the game sad.gif

Hogs finished the season ranked in the top 10, had a 10-1 record that year, beating Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

Wowie! I didnt know yall had such a tradition and history of football!

Ah those are fun. For at least a little while.

I remember Arkansas State vs. Alabama. We blocked a punt for a TD (the first time for Alabama to allow that since the infamous "Punt Bama Punt" game against Auburn 11 years earlier in the same stadium) and tied it 7-7. They ended up rolling but we turned down four FG chances for shots at the end zone. Lacewell said he hadn't gone to Alabama score FG's but I'd have taken a 19-34 loss over 7-34.

Led Steve Superior and Florida 6-0 for just over 16 minutes. Once they got on track the first team never came out in a 44-6 loss.

>>>>>>The NT-Arkansas game that older Hog fans remember would be the 1968 game. Hogs squeaked out a 17-15 win but it could have easily been a loss. NT fumbled/muffed the ball inside the Hog 10 on 2nd down late in the game sad.gif

Hogs finished the season ranked in the top 10, had a 10-1 record that year, beating Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.<<<<<<<

I attended that game. Great game and great road trip.

Edited by DeepGreen