Spurrier or Dickey

MeanGreenBuzz

I don't intend to cause controversy with this poll though I know it will. I would just like to get an idea of the makeup of the board currently. Personally I think Dickey has done an excellent job, but I don't think he has what it takes to get us to the next level. I would not be for firing Dickey, but I would not be unhappy if he was hired away and we hired someone with more national prowess even if that meant increasing the athletic budget by that much to get someone like that.

While Spurrier would mean a lot of money and attention, I hate his style and due to the fact that we've been recruiting to a style 180 degrees from his, it wouldn't be terribly wise in a football sense. Our football program simply isn't strong enough to go through the growing pains right now, and that more than anything is why I don't mind Dickey being here, while at the same time agreeing that he hasn't shown me that he can take this program to the next level (not that he WON'T, he just hasn't yet).

Super Jamario, giving credit to Dickey for recruiting him, has, in my book, given Dickey a lot more space, though I will continue to complain about what I see as coaching flaws until we're winning National Championships.

You may have to pay Spurrier a ton but he will also bring alot to the program. Look at FAU and Howard S. He brought in more there before they played a game then we brought in last year in donations. If Spurrier needed more money for the budget he could reach in his donor pocket and pull some out. Not to mention that we would get more media attention, more sponsors, and instant credibility (look at UTEP). I would also speculate we would get the stadium sooner and more donors would come out with the increased attention.

I would bet that if he came say here we would probably have growing pains the first year and maybe not win the belt, but the next year we would be nationally in the top 25. Look at what coach Fran did in 2 years at aTm. After all the damage the previous coach did to the program it only took him 2 to put it back in the top 25. Spurrier would take over a team in its prime. I really think we would come out of the gate kicking with him.

Sure the students will pack the place..

I'm willing to bet a lot of money unless Spurrier goes to one of the top 20 programs he is not a winnier at a school that he must build a team

He built a team at Duke and won the ACC, something Duke has struggled to do before and after he left. Although Florida has lots of resources, we had never won an SEC title before Spurrier (and have not since). The Redskins opinion aside, the guy is a flat out winner. The best description of Spurrier was something written in the Atlanta Constitution when he played at Florida: " "Blindfolded, with his back to the wall, with his hands tied behind him, Steve Spurrier would still be a two point favorite at his own execution."

I look forward to the day when UNT finds its own Spurrier.

Spurrier would struggle because he won't have the players he is used to, and he will quit after a season or two. He has shown that when things aren't going his way he will just quit.

Can not believe this is posted. Some coaches are great at taking a great program and coasting with it or even building on it. Not many coaches can win at a place like NT--with the few resources and some of the sorriest facilities in IA ball. I can't believe that some of you do not recognize this.

There are at least 50 programs that would love to have Dickey right now....programs who want a coach who knows how to build a winning program with little resources...it takes a special coach to do that.

Please got off of the worst D-1A facilities issue. That is about the only thing you can ever say. Yes, DD built this team into a winning team. Do you for some reason not beileve that SS can not do the same thing too? If so, I think you need your head examined. Im not putting a vote either way on this thread. If it came down to it, what is the worst he could tell UNT, hell no? The thought that someone OTHER than DD can build this program, or improve it, is mindboggling to you. How dare anyone badmouth the mighty DD. Get off your knees! If you keep maintaining that there are AT LEAST 50 programs that want DD, name them. It shouldn't be that hard, becaue, as you said, there are AT LEAST 50.