Some bowl leaders hope for CBA to help lower number of opt-outs

This article mentions many of the issues we've discussed like employment contracts, cheering for the school over player names yet wanting to see your best players perform and not opt-out, etc. 

"Yes, they care about the name on the front of the jersey probably more than the name on the back; that's the special thing about college sports and college football," he said. "But you want to see the best guys play, and I think the only way we get to that is through a collective bargaining agreement and employment contracts that require you to play in the postseason if you're healthy."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/40065306/some-bowl-leaders-hope-cba-help-lower-number-opt-outs

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

Too selfish, very little loyalty for anyone but “me” today. Killing my passion for college football. They need to get rid of the scholarship program and just pay these kids. They can pay for their classes, food, etc. Treat them like employees and let them experience the real world.  I could not care less if they go to class. Let them suffer the consequences of their actions.

Silence out of the staff and administrators. Why would I want to buy season tickets when I have no idea if we will even have a defensive line?

Basketball gets gouged and has already refilled the pantry, better program, etc.  I may just spend my money on that program and watch football from the cozy confines of my domicile. 

No word on a roadshow this summer, coaches silent, but we’ve got face painters and Corgi races. You want my money?  Put forth some freaking effort. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Too selfish, very little loyalty for anyone but “me” today. Killing my passion for college football. They need to get rid of the scholarship program and just pay these kids. They can pay for their classes, food, etc. Treat them like employees and let them experience the real world.  I could not care less if they go to class. Let them suffer the consequences of their actions. Silence out of the staff and administrators. Why would I want to buy season tickets when I have no idea if we will even have a defensive line?

Basketball gets gouged and has already refilled the pantry, better program, etc.  I may just spend my money on that program and watch football from the cozy confines of my domicile. 

No word on a roadshow this summer, coaches silent, but we’ve got face painters and Corgi races. You want my money?  Put forth some freaking effort. 

Man, it's always been like this out of that fake ass athletic department. Always. And you know they're all scrambling around poking around at other job opportunities every offseason just as much, if not more, than our players do/are. 

Basketball has a couple organic advantages. And it's simple numbers. It takes way less players, coaches, and money to be successful. 

The football program always has been kind of a joke. Reaaal bad when we're bad. Kind of flukey when we're decent. And a ton of mediocrity in between. The joke will eventually be the elephant in the room. Then, the program will be the financial liability. Frankly, if we're trying to be serious about turning athletics (in our case basketball) into a positive light on our university, the football program has been a huge financial liability for some time. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Man, it's always been like this out of that fake ass athletic department. Always. And you know they're all scrambling around poking around at other job opportunities every offseason just as much, if not more, than our players do/are. 

Basketball has a couple organic advantages. And it's simple numbers. It takes way less players, coaches, and money to be successful. 

The football program always has been kind of a joke. Reaaal bad when we're bad. Kind of flukey when we're decent. And a ton of mediocrity in between. The joke will eventually be the elephant in the room. Then, the program will be the financial liability. Frankly, if we're trying to be serious about turning athletics (in our case basketball) into a positive light on our university, the football program has been a huge financial liability for some time. 

Yes.  I wonder what the basketball program could do if they had the funding football does,

• Puking Eagle 1

16 hours ago, NT80 said:

"Yes, they care about the name on the front of the jersey probably more than the name on the back; that's the special thing about college sports and college football," he said. "But you want to see the best guys play…”

I disagree that we necessarily want to see the “best guys play.”  I just want to see the group of individual players* who have been playing together all season. 

*this is how I will now refer to “team.”  Joking…kind of, but not really.

• Upvote 1