High school tragedy

I have seen some posts on others boards that Grapeland High School players were struck by lighting today at practice and one is dead with about ten others being hospitalized, some or all being taken by careflight. That's about all I know about it because I am going off of message board posts and didn't see an article at dallasnews.com. Please keep these young men, their families, and those who care for them in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for the link, it is being reported differently than the initial word of mouth I heard.

About 40 players and coaches with the Grapeland High School football team in East Texas were injured, two of them critically, when lightning struck near their practice field Tuesday evening, authorities said.

One of the critically injured students was flown by helicopter to East Texas Medical Center in Tyler and the other was being transferred to Memorial Hermann hospital in Houston, ETMC hospital officials said.

Let's hope they all recover soon!

sad.gif

18 year old Grapeland High School football player Russell Pennington died this afternoon from internal injuries from the lightning strike on Tuesday afternoon in Grapeland, Texas.

Pennington was at Herman Hospital in Houston.

He's the son of Troy and Lawanda Pennington of Grapeland.

An eyewitness said the lightning struck the ground in the middle of a large group of Grapeland football players and Pennington seemed to take the brunt of the force.

Dozens of others players and two coaches were also injured and treated and ETMC in Crockett and Tyler.