I’m a about to be mean…

Dannymacfan

…but doesn’t a program need a coaching shakeup every once in awhile?  After being with the same guy so long, is there not a point in time where you need to go in another direction and bring in some new blood.

Littrell has done a pretty good job here all things considered.  He’s gotten us to more bowl games than any other UNT coach in our history.  He’s never said a bad word about the college or the AD ever unlike some others who pointed the finger in the past.

I just think this may be a kids glove situation and I hope Wren is planning around handling it Ins the best way possible for UNT.

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Dannymacfan said:

…but doesn’t a program need a coaching shakeup every once in awhile?  After being with the same guy so long, is there not a point in time where you need to go in another direction and bring in some new blood.

Littrell has done a pretty good job here all things considered.  He’s gotten us to more bowl games than any other UNT coach in our history.  He’s never said a bad word about the college or the AD ever unlike some others who pointed the finger in the past.

I just think this may be a kids glove situation and I hope Wren is planning around handling it Ins the best way possible for UNT.

I agree to an extent. It depends on the situation and if the program is not progressing or remaining stagnant during that extended tenure. I doubt Alabama thinks it’s time for a change of scenery just because Satan has been there since 2007.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Dannymacfan said:

Moving on from a coach because you just want new blood doesn’t alway work out for the best. Look at Michigan post-Lloyd Carr, Tennessee post-Fulmer, and Texas post-Mack Brown. Heck I remember half this board awestruck that Southern Miss fired Bower and many wanted RV to bring him here. I am by no means saying Seth is any of the guys above, I just feel that reason in particular to move on from a coach is not one I agree with. Not meeting expectations is certainly worthy of a firing though.

• Upvote 2

As a person, I couldn't ask for a better person than Littrell.  He appears to be a stand up guy that the players like playing for, but I wonder if he is too much of a player's coach to be a disciplinarian when needed?  

My other issue is I don't think he has really ever had to deal with adversity.

He played ball at Muskogee, OK and was named an all state as a linebacker.  He rushed for 1,385 yards and 29 touchdowns his senior year.  He was recruited by a bunch of big time programs and signed with OU where they won the national championship in 2000, the year he was team captain.

After graduating, he worked under Mike Leach at Tech, moved to AZ for a couple of years advancing to OC, left to become IU's OC and then North Carolina's OHC/OC prior to coming to North Texas.  He rapidly moved up the coaching ranks, came here, saw improvement in year one followed by two nine win seasons.  The the two four win seasons followed and he has really struggled.  Whether it was not getting picked to go to KSU or not, he didn't respond well to the failure, which may have been the first time something he led didn't succeed.  That can be a tough pill to swallow for someone that has always found success and how they just may not be equipped to deal with it.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Puking Eagle 1