NIT Here We Come!

Clinetort

2 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

The NIT will be back to 32 teams this year. We could potentially play Texas A&M, Texas State, TCU, SMU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, UAB/LaTech, just to name a few schools that will likely miss the NCAA tournament. I am excited about the opportunity to play any of those teams and generally excited about the invite. We have never been invited to play in the NIT.  UTA has been to the NIT 3 times and was a quarterfinalist in 2017. 

La Tech will be nowhere near NIT contention unless 30 schools say no. 

• Haha 1
  • Ray 1

19 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

The NIT will be back to 32 teams this year. We could potentially play Texas A&M, Texas State, TCU, SMU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, UAB/LaTech, just to name a few schools that will likely miss the NCAA tournament. I am excited about the opportunity to play any of those teams and generally excited about the invite. We have never been invited to play in the NIT.  UTA has been to the NIT 3 times and was a quarterfinalist in 2017.  In the last 10 years Texas, TCU, and Baylor have all won the NIT. 

Great post!  I'm excited as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

No, it IS a fair comparison.  Now plenty of schools like Alabama, or Ohio State think that playing in the Rose or Sugar Bowls are hardly worth going to if they aren't part of the National Semifinals.

Yes, P5 schools that miss out on the playoff which is what we are experiencing in basketball. We have zero shot at the playoff in football so yes your comparison holds next to P5 football teams but not to our football team as a G5.

46 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Yes, P5 schools that miss out on the playoff which is what we are experiencing in basketball. We have zero shot at the playoff in football so yes your comparison holds next to P5 football teams but not to our football team as a G5.

But it's also not the same thing I was saying.  I was asking if the question was should WE should refuse to go to any Bowl by say...the top 12 bowl Games...(the NY6 plus stuff like the Citrus Bowl or whatever) since that would be similar to this.  Now I know it'd be technically more impossible given conference tie-ins than a NY6 game, but something like the Gator Bowl would be akin to getting into March Madness as a low seed.

What I am suggesting is playing in the Frisco Classic is not even half as good as playing in the NIT, but we're all gung ho for that.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

The champions list from the NIT is not even remotely on the same level as the CBI and CIT. For all we know we’d have made the sweet 16 in the NCAA, but we are where we are. If we could somehow make it to MSG or win the thing it would be probably be the biggest accomplishment in program history. 

One more thought. The vast majority of champions are from the traditional power conferences. As far as current conference affiliation the last time a champion was not from the power conferences plus the American and A-10 was 1987.

• Upvote 1