Kendrick Davis

Two ex-Hogs land on feet at new schools

BY SCOTT CAIN

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004

FAYETTEVILLE — Former Arkansas basketball players Kendrick Davis and Wenbos Mukubu have found new schools.

Davis and Mukubu decided after last season they would transfer and had been weighing their options since then. Mukubu said he will reunite with former Arkansas assistant Mike Anderson at Alabama-Birmingham, and Davis is headed to North Texas.

Mukubu, a 6-6 forward from Miami, visited Alabama-Birmingham and said he "felt real good about it. And I’m familiar with Mike Anderson. He recruited me out of high school."

Anderson’s up-tempo, pressing style of basketball and Mukubu’s athleticism are a natural fit, Mukubu said.

Alabama-Birmingham assistant coach T. J. Cleveland, a former Arkansas guard, also is a good friend of Mukubu’s.

Mukubu will have to sit out this season but can practice and be on scholarship, he said. He will have two years to play beginning with the 2005-2006 season.

Of his two years at Arkansas, Mukubu said: "I loved it. I love the fans. They treated us real good. I enjoyed playing here. It was a great experience."

Mukubu averaged 5.8 minutes, 1.2 points and 1.3 rebounds in 24 games last season.

Davis, a 6-4 guard from Houston, could not be reached for comment.

Like Mukubu, he will have to sit out but will have two more years to play. He averaged 12.7 minutes, 5.4 points and 1.2 rebounds in 25 games last season.

Just got an email from Brett Vito and he said "I talked to Johnny about the kid yesterday. He said it was not official yet. I will see if he has finished up with the kid and get you guys a brief"

Transfer athletics don't sign letters of intent. They are fair game until they enroll in school. KDee is retaking a course at Arkansas this summer at UA's expense.

We should all sit on pens and needles until he actually enrolls at NT. It is my understanding that UA recruited two All Americans and he was faced with less playing time as a soph even though he was their 6th man.

KDee was ranked by Rivals as a 3 * athlete his sr year in HS. Hines at pt. gd is listed by Rivals as a 3 * player in JC.

Hopefully this will be a very productive recruiting class. Jeffrey Simpson while listed at 6-8 is every bit of 6-9.

Edited by OldTimer