3-3-5 with no Spring, Summer, or Fall = Disaster

El Paso Eagle

Just my opinion, and hindsight being 2020 (pun intended)

New coach, new scheme, no Spring Ball, no organized workouts, and limited Fall

Mark this move as a disaster. Would have thought with the money we are paying we would have HC and a staff better to adapt.

This team is not ready to run this scheme, but it seems they are hell bent on running the 3-3-5 regardless of the outcome.

With the added eligibility it seems they are going to use this season as prep for next year.

#GitItOverWith

• Upvote 2

I was watching Bowen coach up Gaddie on his “hawk” spot (pre-snap placement & who/how to cover) during warmups.    We didn’t have a “hawk” for the HBU game.  This was a change that was put in in prep for SMU.  Obviously we’re not ready to use that role for games yet either.

Never thought I’d say this, but I think Reff’s defense was better.

May want to consider swapping ST & DC roles.  STs was a disaster tonight as well.  The guys like to play for Ekeler. Maybe he can cook up something.

A bright spot for me was the play of young Upton Stout... he’s going to be a baller for us & is likely already the best cover corner we have.

• Upvote 2

The defense was not the problem tonight. They played well considering the personnel issues. Anytime you get into situations where the opposing team starts in your territory (what was it 3 times?) in a game, it is going to be difficult to respond to that.

That being said, a new DC with a modified scheme with no spring and a limited fall is going to be a disaster for any team. The real problem tonight was Ekeler's special teams units. Dear god.  The slow start on offense and Aune overthrowing receivers/receivers dropping passes in the endzone didn't help either, but what really killed us was the 14 point swing on special teams mistakes.

We got Kansas’ DC...think about that. That’s how much SL knows and cares about defense.

But the special teams sucking again is something I didn’t see coming. I figured we would see major improvement here and it’s been the exact opposite. And I do blame that on Covid and a smaller time frame for practices as much as I do poor coaching/preparation.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1