Paradox of the year

IronMan4

According to the Basketball media guide, Marqus Mitchell shot 55% from the field and 40% from three point land with State Fair CC last season.

This season with North Texas, Mitchell is shooting 30-111 for 27% from the floor and 8-44 for 18.2% from downtown.

Why the HUGE difference? He has shown incredible athleticism so far, on his block last night he may have bumped his head on the rafters, but why the amazing drop in shooting %? It blows my mind. If you can shoot you can shoot and his stats from SFCC show he can, yet his stats so far now show he can't hit the broad side of a barn.

What gives?

I think it's called "DEFENSE."      No more uncontested shots!

At first glance that would be the reaction 60, but he has had open shots. And those open shots have been very ugly. He hit a three last night and I am sad I had to step away for a second (wasn't feeling well) and missed it. His shooting form has been awkward and he is missing everything with or without defense. That's the part I don't get. If he shot with the same form he has now, if he was alone in a gym, how did he shoot 55 and 40 percent? It doesn't add up any way you look at it. For the team's sake I just hope it is one of the worst shooting slumps any of us has ever witnessed because the more outside firepower the better in college basketball.

Shooters sometimes go into slumps. He is probably frustrated and trying too hard.

NT once had a player named David Miller who missed more than 20 consecutive free throws. He wound up a career 60% free throw shooter. Not great, but you wouldn't expect him to be that cold for that long. Without all those misses he would have been near the NCAA Div I average of about 66%.