Why you should vote yes to raising the student athletic fee

Brady Keane

19 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

This is my child's spring semester bill, exclusive of room and board:
FnL7G3x.png

$422 or 29% of her cost of attendance (exclusive of room and board) is fees for one semester.

Multiply that over four years, and we get $6,752. 

It ain't chump change.  

I feel like there are several charges on here that could be a lot lower and just transitioned over to the "Athletic Fee". I remember when I graduated back in 2010 the random fees were crazy but I dont see them on here So I might of drank too much since then and cant remember correctly or they fazed them out.

1 minute ago, Withers940 said:

I feel like there are several charges on here that could be a lot lower and just transitioned over to the "Athletic Fee". I remember when I graduated back in 2010 the random fees were crazy but I dont see them on here So I might of drank too much since then and cant remember correctly or they fazed them out.

When I did the screenshot, I didn't notice that this is 15 of 24 , so there are nine fees not listed. 

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Don’t care what it cost, it is the returned value on that cost. National awareness and exposure is a value to the university and alumni.

Not always correlated.

Grand Canyon University is dumping a ton of money into athletics... but I'll always know them as another one of those online diploma mills.
On the flipside, Rice.

I like that NT has a world-renowned music program, crank out the best teachers in any school district, and some great business folks.   

Do I hope we can hang our hats on athletics?   YEAH!   But not at the expense of what a University SHOULD be known for: acadmeic programs.    We're at a point now where we're able to attract some very bright students.  I believe part of that may be due to a horrible tagline we used to use, but it rang true: "the best for less!"

As for this vote,  please, put us on par with other non-desperate-small-time schools like Houston, but don't go over just because we could.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
i dnt spel gud

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

But not at the expense of what a University SHOULD be known for: acadmeic programs.    We're at a point now where we're able to attract some very bright students. 

I've been talking to TAMS students about why they would rather not stay at UNT, preferring UTD if none of the elites come through.  Universal answer -- "I won't get into the best med schools/grad programs if I stay at UNT."

My daughter is on the fence because she's been looking at it through a different lens.  Whereas the other kids are looking for a cookie cutter pedigree, my kid sees opportunity that might not be available at other schools.  She's already in an electrical engineering research lab making decisions, effectively as a college freshman.  There are a select few, very elite schools where she would indeed get even better hands on opportunities, but failing admission there, she tells me she'd rather stay at UNT and exploit the rampant opportunities. 

For the brightest of the bright, athletics don't mean a damn thing.  It DOES matter out of the school of business because business is really weird on emphasizing small talk like that, but for other fields, to borrow from a very dated political campaign phrase, it's the academics, stupid! 

I'm a sports fan.  I'm not inherently against a student athletic fee.  What I am against is us alumni, who are hopefully gainfully employed, aggressively pushing for more and more out of the students when we have the disposable income, they have the debt, and we are the primary beneficiaries of an improved athletic program. 

• Upvote 1