Early look at the class of 2019

Andrew

I know we won't end up landing any of these kids but there is a hometown kid who I would love to land. I can admit I am a little bias here... but it would be a dream to keep local talent local. I'm betting he will be the highest recruited Denton talent for a very long time! 

http://thebasketballchannel.net/the-class-of-2019-top-60/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I stopped by the board because I am going to the UNT/La Tech game Thursday. It is the last leg of my annual Metroplex college hoops tour. SMU doesn't play again until Saturday so I'm heading up to Denton. Hope to see a good game.

As for Harmon, he is a stud and a top target of Jank's since last summer. He has been to three games at Moody this season including last week's Cincy game. We are also heavily recruiting his 2018 teammate Grayson Carter. Carter's top four are SMU, TCU, OU and Okie St. I'm told we are in the lead for Carter and at the top of Harmon's list too. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MJavierSMU said:

I stopped by the board because I am going to the UNT/La Tech game Thursday. It is the last leg of my annual Metroplex college hoops tour. SMU doesn't play again until Saturday so I'm heading up to Denton. Hope to see a good game.

As for Harmon, he is a stud and a top target of Jank's since last summer. He has been to three games at Moody this season including last week's Cincy game. We are also heavily recruiting his 2018 teammate Grayson Carter. Carter's top four are SMU, TCU, OU and Okie St. I'm told we are in the lead for Carter and at the top of Harmon's list too. 

I will never be an SMU fan but I would drive down to watch them play. Carter, Wilson, and Harmon have been special and a couple of them still have time to grow. SMU would be getting a great young man. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So, what do you think of the state of the returning players UNT has on the court IF ALL STAY AT UNT for next season?  Assuming everyone is again healthy, do we or do we not have a core of solid players returning....assuming all stay?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

So, what do you think of the state of the returning players UNT has on the court IF ALL STAY AT UNT for next season?  Assuming everyone is again healthy, do we or do we not have a core of solid players returning....assuming all stay?

I know this question is directed towards Andrew, but I take a stab at it.

Assuming everyone is healthy & returns I think your looking at a middle of the pack #CUSA starting 5 with a very limited bench. The growth of Lawson, Brown, Woolridge is essential bc they will be the guys IMO who could turn that starting 5 into one of the better ones in CUSA.

In the front court Combs & Temara should be one of the better duos in CUSA. They should allow the new coach some ability to mix and match how they attack defenses.

My biggest concern is depth & the bench production.  

• Upvote 2

There are lots of factors here..

Does Combs transfer?

Do others follow suit?

Does Keith Frazier get another year?

I think the new coach certainly has a lot to work with. He won't inherit what Benford did, but what he does get won't be terrible by any means. The teams record doesn't reflect the raw ability or potential of the players we have. We should be on of the best teams in conference when it comes to post play with Combs, Temara, and Brice. Maybe Fuller can even learn to use that big body of his to bang around finally. I also believe Woolridge will be a top point guard in the league next year. He is a freshman who hasn't been on the court that long. He will grow a lot and be much better next season. My big concern is whonis going to that go to guy. I feel like every team we play has that guy who takes the last shot or demands that ball (Think Davis, Watson, Thompson. Williams). Maybe Lawson can be thisnkne day but I'm not sure if he can step in that role next year. We also need some guys who can knock down the three. If everyone stays and Frazier doesn't get another year we are a top 6 to 8school. If Frazier somehow gets another year and the players progress a lot they could be top 3 or 4.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

39 minutes ago, Harry said:

Wooolridge is really key.  Quality point guard play is at a premium.  He has a ton of potential.

Finding a guy behind him will be key too. He needs to work on his FT shooting if he will be handling the ball late.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I also believe Woolridge will be a top point guard in the league next year. He is a freshman who hasn't been on the court that long. He will grow a lot and be much better next season. My big concern is whonis going to that go to guy. I feel like every team we play has that guy who takes the last shot or demands that ball (Think Davis, Watson, Thompson. Williams). Maybe Lawson can be thisnkne day but I'm not sure if he can step in that role next year. 

Statistically Lawson is going to be that guy.

Lot of good PG play in CUSA

Dixon (FR) at MTSU, 

Bracey (FR) at La Tech,

Caver (SO) at ODU has been playing really well.

Evans (SO) at Rice

Elmore (JR) at Marshall

Davis (SO) at Charlotte

Im not saying Woolridge wont be a top PG, but he needs a damn good off season to keep up or catch some of these guys.