Harry

**WARNING I ROOT FOR BOTH TEAMS**  I am admittedly a novice in how college football works. I have not done research on this and would love a comment from Jim, Billy. Until the program can join a P5 conference or is good enough to win bowls that pay out $4m, CUSA is easily the best. Why? The conference shares bowl revenue, travel expenses are as low as could be in the West and you play in talent rich states. My thought is its about money and recruiting, and right now this us the place.

12 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

CUSA West is our best conference setup in 50 years.

And if the MWC came calling and invites us to join, we would be so incredibly stupid to turn it down.

But the MWC knows it could wait out the Big XII falling apart and getting TCU, Baylor, and maybe Tech to come over from this state. 

What is the MWC revenue sharing?

• Upvote 1

C-USA is bloated. 14 teams is too many, especially with a crappy media deal. I love the line up in C-USA West, but most of us don't really care about most of the teams in the east. Of course if we moved to the MWC, we would be saying the same thing about them too.

The biggest problem with C-USA is the terrible media deal. Moving to the MWC wouldn't fix that problem, it would only push it back until the MWC signs a new deal. Eventually all of the G5 conferences will end up with terrible media deals.

Outside of a P5 conference, C-USA is the best place for North Texas, as long as the other Texas programs remain here. Our focus should be on winning, growing our fan base in the north Texas region, and increasing our revenues. We need to become the flagship of C-USA. If we develop the best football and basketball programs, generate more revenue then the rest of the conference, and continue to build and renovate facilities, we will outgrow C-USA. All we can really do is build and position North Texas for the next round of realignment.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Boys, even though the girls look better at closing time, the MWC or AAC would really be drunk to invite UNT to their party at this point in time. Except for one year, we have not been able to compete in football in either the SBC or CUSA in the last decade. Our men's basketball program sank after J.J.'s departure, and I doubt women's has had a winning season since Judy Nelson was coach. In addition, we can't afford a baseball program. I have followed the Eagles since my freshman year of 61', and our athletic program,with exception of golf and soccer, is just plain sorry. You can put lipstick on a pig, but at the end of the day its still pork. In order to become attractive to other conferences we must WIN, plain and simple. Otherwise, the best we can  hope for is for the SBC and CUSA to merge and divide programs based upon geography to reduce travel expenses, as the T.V. ship has sailed for the "Little Five" Conferences.UTEP,UTSA,Rice,UNT,Texas St.,LA.Tech,ULL,Ark.St.,So. Miss.,and UAB would be work for me. Add UTA and UALR for basketball/baseball, or N.Mexico St.,Troy,  So.Alabama if you feel the need for 12 football programs. The point is that you only become desired by being a constant winner, not a perpetual looser.

Edited by wardly
  • Upvote 1

What I believe will occur within the mtxy decade is the Big XII dissolving, the power 4 leagues closing ranks, with the AAC and MWC adding in the Big XII left-behinds, where those two leagues will be allowed to still play the P4s in ooc and a bowl game, but no chance at the playoffs. The rest of the current G5s, the MAC, the SBC, and CUSA, will regionalize and add some top FCS programs to be a lower level of play in college football.

At this point. I just realize that we probably started too late at showing interest in having a football program act as a window to the university. But we do have a lot more fans who care about our teams than we have ever had and I think we will always have 15-20k as average paid attendance in the years ahead. Even if we are at a lower tier in the years ahead. 

The only way we ever have a chance to change this is having admittance in the MWC before the Big XII fails and they add TCU to their league again and get DFW exposure. The AAC with SMU will never let us in, just like CUSA wouldn't until SMU was gone, and just like the SWC wouldn't with SMU and TCU in their league. But being in the MWC before TCU  could get back in the league would allow us to play the power schools still for years to come. Of course, the MWC knows all of this and can see some nice Texas schools to add when the Big XII falls apart, not to mention other possibilities they have looked at here in Texas, like UTEP and Rice, or our friends in the great tourist venue known as San Antonio. That's why I think our current setup in CUSA West is probably going to be about the best we will ever have. And, as I have said many times before, it is light years better than what we would have had if SMU hadn't moved to the AAC and we were stuck in the SBC.

• Upvote 1

Hey untjim1995, come again? ?

Seriously, I think you are probably close to being right.

THIS:  It won't happen because no one will be visionary enough to see your scenario which begs a certain consortium to strike first but if...the CUSA Tex-4 &  LaTech would be proactive & sit on the doorsteps of the MWC commish & suggest to him that we'd like to (only as a group) bring them 2 top 10 TV markets with schools that would make up most of their East Division. 

The only school in the MWC that would be even close to resembling a start up program is Boise St. who (as I understand it) was a trade school in its beginnings.

OR..

CUSA West with La Tech & USM could find a way to remove itself from the (almost) a 1,000 miles away majority of the CUSA East, but then you have all the problems of a new start up conference.

PUNT ON 2'ND DOWN I GUESS!?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Our last year in Sun Belt these were the teams:

Arkansas State, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Louisiana–Lafayette, Louisiana–Monroe, Middle Tennessee State, North Texas, South Alabama, Troy and Western Kentucky.

In C-USA West we have UTEP, Rice, La. Tech, UTSA, Southern Miss.  Three Texas teams, two of which are in the biggest cities in Texas (Houston, San Antonio).   Not one of the teams we play in the west was in the Sun Belt. We are LIGHT years ahead of where we have been.  I really like this league a lot.  Give it time and the rivalries will develop and make it even better.