From Alabama's bench to UNT's focal point:

gangrene

13 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Let's judge this after the 1st half of the SMU game, shall we?

Its nice to hear he has as good an arm as any Tech QB, but the natural follow up would be then why couldn't be get above third team at 'Bama?

Best case scenerio is he has a breakout year, gets a free agent NFL deal and makes a roster. That way UNT can tell other grad transfers they have a similar path (see La Tech). Worst case scenerio is he has a case of the Chads against SMU. 

There is always a very wide variable with a complete unknown. 

According to Bama boards is because he doesn't have great accuracy on the deep ball. In Alabama's offensive philosophy that is an absolute must. 

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

According to Bama boards is because he doesn't have great accuracy on the deep ball. In Alabama's offensive philosophy that is an absolute must. 

It is all a matter of perspective. It doesn't take much to throw a better deep ball than McNulty or Greer.

3 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

It is all a matter of perspective. It doesn't take much to throw a better deep ball than McNulty or Greer.

I agree. But maybe not as well as Blake Sims or Jake Coker. In a pro-style offense QB's must be able to throw the top off the defense with accuracy. When the news came out that Morris was coming to UNT, the overall conclusion in previous QB battles on their board was that he couldn't drop it in there with consistency. 

19 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Let's judge this after the 1st half of the SMU game, shall we?

Its nice to hear he has as good an arm as any Tech QB, but the natural follow up would be then why couldn't be get above third team at 'Bama?

Best case scenerio is he has a breakout year, gets a free agent NFL deal and makes a roster. That way UNT can tell other grad transfers they have a similar path (see La Tech). Worst case scenerio is he has a case of the Chads against SMU. 

There is always a very wide variable with a complete unknown. 

Oh ya because you know it's the first game and it tends to be you know a little rusty for every team in CFB.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I'm hoping that the stats continue here at UNT. I think a lot of us believe Morris is going to be the best QB we have had at UNT for awhile. 

Although I'm thankful for what Derek Thompson did here, I am so tired of hearing about his QB play 3 freaking years later.... The QB dilemma has just been haunting us for to long. 

Our QB dilemma was from a bunch of cry babies who didn't want to put in the work or in the weight room. We want this to be a program where QB's want to play and not a last place resort. Imagine our last 4 Qb's going through a Bama practice? Heck they couldn't even make it through a CUSA game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

Oh ya because you know it's the first game and it tends to be you know a little rusty for every team in CFB.

If he throws 3 picks in the first half and has happy feet in the pocket, it'll be pretty clear. 

Throwing with red shirt on is much easier than live action.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

7 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

I guess you're assuming that he will be worst than what McNulty did last year?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400763597

We have zero idea at this point. We all hope not, but we also all heard Mac and Chico rave about how improved Mini Mac was last year. 

It wasn't true.

I'm taking the wait and see approach to this QB situation. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Throwing with red shirt on is much easier than live action.

Some obvious things do come out in practice. McNulty was just as hesitant and indecisive in practices as he was live. Dajon showed the same. Means was very inaccurate. Greer showed a limited arm and/or bad mechanics.

Morris does need to improve on the deep ball - he sets his feet a little too far apart at times, losing power and deep ball accuracy. Morris is accurate in the short to intermediate range. Morris can work and climb up the pocket. He's got good vision, and he can read his defensive keys quickly. He's not a scrambler but he can get upfield quickly if he needs to.

All of that matters and translates to the field, so we can make an educated guess on how he will fare.

Sure you can say that "we don't know what we don't know", but either A) you're wanting to save yourself from disappointment or 2) it safely puts you in a position to either say "I told you so/don't shoot the messenger" or "I'm so glad it worked out for the better".

Caution is not an attribute of college football fans that pretend (or portend) to know things.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Some obvious things do come out in practice. McNulty was just as hesitant and indecisive in practices as he was live. Dajon showed the same. Means was very inaccurate. Greer showed a limited arm and/or bad mechanics.

Morris does need to improve on the deep ball - he sets his feet a little too far apart at times, losing power and deep ball accuracy. Morris is accurate in the short to intermediate range. Morris can work and climb up the pocket. He's got good vision, and he can read his defensive keys quickly. He's not a scrambler but he can get upfield quickly if he needs to.

All of that matters and translates to the field, so we can make an educated guess on how he will fare.

Sure you can say that "we don't know what we don't know", but either A) you're wanting to save yourself from disappointment or 2) it safely puts you in a position to either say "I told you so/don't shoot the messenger" or "I'm so glad it worked out for the better".

Caution is not an attribute of college football fans that pretend (or portend) to know things.

I will go with 2)

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

We have zero idea at this point. We all hope not, but we also all heard Mac and Chico rave about how improved Mini Mac was last year. 

It wasn't true.

I'm taking the wait and see approach to this QB situation. 

We all knew they were full of shit, particularly McCarney. I remember when he was named starter and @Harry created a thread about "supporting" the starter in place. That entire general time frame was so just ugh. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And everybody got all excited about the two Qb's who now have left the program

"It's Dajon's time!" or "Put in DaMarcus"....."Come on coach put in DaMarucs!" And now we have someone say we can make educated guess on how the Qb is going to be or if he throws 3 picks in the first half...

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Aldo said:

No one how he will respond the first time an FBS 310 pound DT puts him on his back. 

No one.

I have hope, but until I see how he responds to heavy physical contact, I refuse to get excited.

• Downvote 5

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

No one how he will respond the first time an FBS 310 pound DT puts him on his back. 

No one.

I have hope, but until I see how he responds to heavy physical contact, I refuse to get excited.

I mean he's 6'3" 235, I think he'll be durable enough. I would be worried if Fine got hit by a guy that size but Morris? Nah

6 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

And everybody got all excited about the two Qb's who now have left the program

"It's Dajon's time!" or "Put in DaMarcus"....."Come on coach put in DaMarucs!" And now we have someone say we can make educated guess on how the Qb is going to be or if he throws 3 picks in the first half...

This is exactly correct. I remember a conversation with a retain moderator on this board about the kid from Colorado. Practice team MVP. Wait till next year. Great arm. Yada yada yada. 

Fans tend to see what they want to see, especially in practice. I'll wait for live game action before believing the hype, but that's just me. 

And I only use the moderator as an example of hundreds of posts that have appeared on this board, and that's just Emmitt posting about Dajon...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

2 hours ago, NTAlum09 said:

Total domination and make everyone around alot better. Unless you think SEC sucks then maybe you should just watch the games at home this year. 

Again, what does Alabama's total defense and UNT's total defense have to do with Morris' performance?

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Again, what does Alabama's total defense and UNT's total defense have to do with Morris' performance?

You're going up against a damn top 5 defense every practice in order to compete for the starting job. You have little room for error if you want to be a starter on Saban's football team.

Edited by NTAlum09
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

He's 6'3 240

He would take the hit better than you would

I would hope so considering he is 30 years younger.

You have zero idea. He could pop right back up and throw a TD of get a permanent case of happy feet.

Ill be waiting for the 1st quarter September 3rd to find out. 

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

You have zero idea. He could pop right back up and throw a TD of get a permanent case of happy feet.

And you better talk smack to some SMU fans

13 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

You're going up against a damn top 5 defense every practice in order to compete for the starting job. You have little room for error if you want to be a starter on Saban's football team.

And you are never getting hit. And he never got above 3rd team. 

Look, he may be all-conference CUSA by year's end, but the way college teams practice nowadays (no hitting the QB), you have zero way to know how he will play in live game action. To say you do is just foolish. 

Akunne's hit on the Ram's rookie QB is the perfect example. In a college practice, Akunne would have had to pull up, causing him to "touch down" the QB after the ball was delivered. In live game action, Akunne gets to come with a full head of steam, hit the QB as he releases the ball, and cause a turnover. 

This is the type of situation Morros HAS NEVER FACED. In FBS college football. How will he react? No one knows. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Last time we had SMU at Apogee, we trotted out arguably one of the worst QBs we've had come through here, and he looked like Aaron Rodgers.  
I would dare say that even the first 2,3,4 quarters will tell you everything you need to know about Morris.  If we come out of OOC at 3-1 or 2-2 and Morris is around 1000yds already, then we can say we should expect big things during conference play.

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

And you are never getting hit. And he never got above 3rd team. 

Look, he may be all-conference CUSA by year's end, but the way college teams practice nowadays (no hitting the QB), you have zero way to know how he will play in live game action. To say you do is just foolish. 

It's foolish to think he is in the same category as the last 4 Qb's , he was with the program for 4 years and graduated.