Cpl. Stephen Bean will not face charges

43 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Yeah, probably. I tend to think that the family will just end up wasting the money on their attorney and won't get anything from this.

Yep, told multiple times to drop the ax, instead advances on officer yelling "shoot me, shoot me."

And it's all on video.

Easy call, criminally and civilly. 

• Upvote 4

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 1:52 PM, EagleGreen said:

Did he tell him multiple times to drop the axe or to "back away?"  I think the story is already getting altered.

Seems like you may be trying?

The video is public. I suggest you watch it.

• Downvote 3

Everyone  should be smart enough to know to drop any "weapon" with dealing with a policeman etc.... That even includes some toy gun that might be taken as a real weapon.. Part II is keep your hands in the "open" where it can be seen they have nothing.... and keep your distance unless told otherwise.

Police have a dangerous job and also have the right to protect themselves....... having said that.... a few cops are idiots..... I had one shoot at me with no warning  for no justifiable reason when in college (and put me in handcuffs) .  I was a  night  employee not a burglar.   Just be very careful with anyone that has a gun......... Good thing I wasn't carrying one or he would have shot again and claim it was justified..  ... 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

On 3/30/2016 at 1:31 PM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

I had one shoot at me with no warning  for no justifiable reason when in college (and put me in handcuffs) .  I was a  night  employee not a burglar.   Just be very careful with anyone that has a gun......... Good thing I wasn't carrying one or he would have shot again and claim it was justified..  ... 

I've had a cop's gun in my face once.  I working maintenance at the campus apartments and couldn't sleep one night, so I went in super early.  I put a pot of coffee on, got a newspaper, then went to take care of some serious business.  Next thing I know, campus police kicks in the stall door and puts a gun in my face.  I look up from my paper, look down at the compromised position I was in, looked back up at the cop, and said, "Yes?"

What I didn't know what that the building had a silent alarm that turned off at 6am.  I'd gotten there at 5:30.

Once I identified myself, showed the cop my license, showed him my keys to get in, he and his partner laughed and said, "We kinda wondered why a burglar would be making coffee!"

• Upvote 2

On 3/30/2016 at 1:31 PM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

Everyone  should be smart enough to know to drop any "weapon" with dealing with a policeman etc.... That even includes some toy gun that might be taken as a real weapon.. Part II is keep your hands in the "open" where it can be seen they have nothing.... and keep your distance unless told otherwise.

Police have a dangerous job and also have the right to protect themselves....... having said that.... a few cops are idiots..... I had one shoot at me with no warning  for no justifiable reason when in college (and put me in handcuffs) .  I was a  night  employee not a burglar.   Just be very careful with anyone that has a gun......... Good thing I wasn't carrying one or he would have shot again and claim it was justified..  ... 

Great advice. I've never been shot at (except in the air by a country grandpa when 16, while I was knocking on a girls window, lol), but I've had guns pointed at me in a bad way around a half dozen times in my life, and keeping your hands very visible is likely to keep you healthy whether cops or criminals are holding that gun.

You never know when you may have ventured into an area where people have happy trigger fingers for who knows what reason. Looking at a foreclosure property in Azle after dark a couple of years ago brings back scary memories for me.

This particular case was very sad, but it seems like the cop didn't have a lot of options. Very tough for everyone involved.

• Upvote 1

On March 30, 2016 at 1:31 PM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

Good thing I wasn't carrying one or he would have shot again and claim it was justified..  ... 

Couldn't let it go without that same, tired story that you've told on here 20 times AND throwing in the above because this is really how you feel about police, but this shooting is so clean, a 30 year old story with this incredible parting shot is all you can throw out there.

We'll hear from you again, when far left talking points decide its time to protest another police shooting, whether that shooting is good or bad.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

On 3/26/2016 at 2:03 PM, UNT90 said:

Seems like you may be trying?

The video is public. I suggest you watch it.

Well, I was being sarcastic, as he says "Back Away", not "Drop the Axe" as you stated.  So, you are already misinterpreting the story to back your "clean shooting."  No worries here, just calling 'em like I see 'em.  I predicted all of this when the video was released.  The cop would get away with killing the guy because the guy had an axe....and, the cops would re-train on the situation, which they are doing, to make sure they do better next time.  In other words, it was clean yet it wasn't illegal, and the cops can do better.  That is all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

I want to know the realities of the reasonableness test for fear of life between police and civilians.  I know Texas has castle law.  What I don't know is that if I see someone 15 feet away from me with a BB gun if it would be considered reasonable for me to shoot him dead as a civilian.  

My impression is that the standards are not equal nor are they equally applied.

4 hours ago, Rudy said:

The cop "got away with killing the guy" who had a weapon and was about to kill him? Ummm, OK.  

54 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Yep, that right there tells you his real perception of police. Probably because someone gave him a ticket at some pint in his life.

Dumbing down of American society.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

7 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Yep, that right there tells you his real perception of police. Probably because someone gave him a ticket at some pint in his life.

Dumbing down of American society.

Wait, what?  You quoted me, blanked out what you quoted, and lumped me in with the dumbing down of America for asking a question on application of legal standard?

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I want to know the realities of the reasonableness test for fear of life between police and civilians.  I know Texas has castle law.  What I don't know is that if I see someone 15 feet away from me with a BB gun if it would be considered reasonable for me to shoot him dead as a civilian.  

My impression is that the standards are not equal nor are they equally applied.

You are wrong. If you reasonably believe that is a real gun in the 0.2 seconds you have to make that determination before the actor with the real/fake gun shoots you dead (if it's real), you as a civilian will be fine.

As a matter of fact, under the current environment and national leadership that calls for a federal investigation every chance they get, you as a civilian are given FAR more leeway than a police officer. 

Its a total circumstance test for the officer. Is he responding to a report of a suspect pointing a gun at passing civilians (Cleveland)? Is that officer supposed to hope and pray that the gun isn't real and let the person with the gun take a shot at them first before responding? If that's the standard you want, get ready for a lot worse from officers, because your application pool just dried up where smart candidates are concerned (already becoming a huge problem, thank you Pres. Obama).

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

That was my question.  Thank you for answering. 

No to quoting you. Tried to erase completely, but apparently you can't with the new software. 

Also, sorry for unintentionally calling you a violin. Fixed. ?

Edited by UNT90

7 hours ago, UNT90 said:

No to quoting you. Tried to erase completely, but apparently you can't with the new software. 

Also, sorry for unintentionally calling you a violin. Fixed. ?

The only way I've found to erase a quote box from my phone is to click on the box, look for a small box (crossed arrows looks like you are selecting it to move the quote box) at the top left corner. Click on that and the the backspace key.

Not always easy to click on the right spots, but it does work.

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

He was charging the officer with a weapon.  What else was the guy going to do, tell him knock knock jokes?

He must wait until the ax is firmly implanted in his skull before he fires. I mean, how else does he know FOR SURE that the guy advancing with an ax against his directions means him harm?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2