MGB: How UNT will fill its biggest hole on offense

Brett Vito

Smith as a "wildcat-type" QB? He's not the only option for that.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/06/unt-adds-arlington-athlete-deion-hair-griffin.html/

"Hair’Griffin was the District 7-5A MVP and was also an honorable mention all-state selection. He scored 38 touchdowns on the season — 23 passing and 15 rushing — while throwing for about 1,500 yards. He added about 1,000 rushing yards."

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Brett Vito said:

Based on the title of the article, I could have sworn this was going to be about Harris.   Usually "holes" are openings left by departing players...  Unless you're referencing the "hole" left by the one-and-only Derek Thompson that has yet to be filled.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NTAlum09 said:

This article is garbage...

He brings up a fair point. You've got Smith who is mobile and a more of a throw them open type player, with lack of accuracy in the intermediate range, but really opens up the run game.

Then you've got Alec Morris, a fairly complete unknown at this point in his college career, a big pocket passer who would garner different play-calling. 

What do you do?

2 minutes ago, Aldo said:

He brings up a fair point. You've got Smith who is mobile and a more of a throw them open type player, with lack of accuracy in the intermediate range, but really opens up the run game.

Then you've got Alec Morris, a fairly complete unknown at this point in his college career, a big pocket passer who would garner different play-calling. 

What do you do?

I didn't think we would go back to eating bologna sandwiches everyday with these repetitive articles about the same stuff.

Morris will be our starter period.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I got to see quite a few OK State games, and they found a way to use both Rudolph and Walsh in an effective manner. Rudolph was in for the majority of offensive plays until the got within the 10. Walsh would then come in and run a full house read option type package as a run/throw threat. It was very effective. I wouldn't mind seeing Littrell do the same with Morris/Smith

10 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I got to see quite a few OK State games, and they found a way to use both Rudolph and Walsh in an effective manner. Rudolph was in for the majority of offensive plays until the got within the 10. Walsh would then come in and run a full house read option type package as a run/throw threat. It was very effective. I wouldn't mind seeing Littrell do the same with Morris/Smith

You assuming Smith is faster than Morris?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

So did Alec Morris who is taller and bigger

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Although I don't know Smith's 40 time, Morris ran a 4.7 coming out of high school, and I'd be willing to guess Smith is faster.

I knew that, I was saying I didn't know Smith's time, but assumed it was faster, I could be wrong

1 minute ago, NTAlum09 said:

Come on man!

Either way, Alabama isn't known for it's heavy use of the read option, and Smith ran it very effectively last year. It would only make sense to have him, the more polished runner, run the read option, and have Morris, the more polished passer(by all accounts) focus on passing.

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

Either way, Alabama isn't known for it's heavy use of the read option, and Smith ran it very effectively last year. It would only make sense to have him, the more polished runner, run the read option, and have Morris, the more polished passer(by all accounts) focus on passing.

How in the hell do you know if we are going to run the read option next season? I don't even know if they are going to sell popcorn at the concession stand next season.

Tap the brakes baby!

• Downvote 4

We don't know a dang thing about Morris.   We don't know if he can come in here and complete 30% of his passes or 80%.   He is a complete unknown.   He has 4 years of Alabama rust on him.  We know Smith did not do well in the McCarney/Chico offense... maybe that changes under Littrell/Harrell.

Lets see how it shakes out in Spring practice before anyone anoints one of these guys as the sure-fire starter.

Please don't go Dmac on us and switch up the QB's throughout the season...... go through the offseason and see who beats out for the starting job. (And this is based on skills, not, "he's a good guy" like McNulty). Start the QB against SMU, and keep him there. The three excuses that QB could be changed is if he gets hurt, in trouble, or goes Josh Greer on us.

One of the many things that screwed us over last year, was when Mac started McNulty and played him until someone could pry his grip off him with a crowbar to get D.Smith in the game. That ultimately set up Smith for failure, and Smith should have started from day one. And I'm not saying Smith is that talented QB we need, I just feel like he was our best option in 2015. And that option was thrown to the wolves....

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1

All I can tell from Morris is that he can work the pocket well, slow decision-maker, has good touch, does not need to be running the ball, works well in the bootleg, sells the PA, doesn't like to pass in the middle much, decent back shoulder passer, has good strength (and accuracy) for a sideline/out route pass.

It might be a closer competition than I was originally anticipating, as each guy has strengths and weaknesses, but we shall see. 

Every Vito article looks like this...

"UNT football is pretty bad.  I mean really bad.  Did I mention they went 1-11 last season?  You know, all that could have been avoided if my man crush Derek Thompson were still playing.  Speaking of Thompson, if he'd just join my wolf pack we could totally tear up Vegas!!!"  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, Aldo said:

All I can tell from Morris is that he can work the pocket well, slow decision-maker, has good touch, does not need to be running the ball, works well in the bootleg, sells the PA, doesn't like to pass in the middle much, decent back shoulder passer, has good strength (and accuracy) for a sideline/out route pass.

It might be a closer competition than I was originally anticipating, as each guy has strengths and weaknesses, but we shall see. 

So in comparison, what would your evaluation of Smith be?

19 minutes ago, casual fan said:

Mason Fine ran a 4.52.  If he doesn't RS, he might be our wild card in the wildcat.

Can you imagine Mason Fine tucking the ball on a zone read and getting pummeled by some 6-2, 230lb LB?  Or worse, a crashing 6-4, 250lb DE?  Or even worse, a 6-0, 220 safety with a full head of steam?  His body would be broken in half.  

Let's table any hopes for Fine for the moment.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, casual fan said:

Mason Fine ran a 4.52.  If he doesn't RS, he might be our wild card in the wildcat.

NO.. let the young man develop do not throw him to the wolves at a whopping 170 lbs (highly questionable).

Use Willie Ivery as your "Wildcat" option if you want to do that he at least has experience at the D1 level.

15 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

So in comparison, what would your evaluation of Smith be?

Had a big long post, but screw that here's a summary:

While Smith won't throw an INT often, his inaccuracy and lack of touch in the intermediate range stalls the offense. Our yards per play in each of his games last year were very low. On the other hand, his running ability opens up the run game, and has momentum-swinging effects. Running ability also helps PA. Has college game experience. Need to see major improvements in his pass abilities.

While Morris won't help out the run game with his legs, he has the potential to move the chains with his arm. That on its own could help the run game. But I call into question his reaction to the defense post-snap, and would like to see how he does over spring practice. I don't think he can pick apart a defense, but is smart enough and strong enough to put the ball in the right place in certain situations. Doesn't have game experience.

My position is, Morris needs to be at least an average passer in order surpass Smith's running ability and game experience.

Average QB play is a lot to ask for around here, and is HOF material. #shotsfired 

*And I'll tack on and say an avg qb for me would be >7.2 yards per pass and around 58% comp (I've tempered my expectations).

• Upvote 2