Denver wins Sun Belt

mgsteve

Denver wins Sun Belt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Micheal Compton, mcompton@bgdailynews.com -- 270-783-3247

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A game-winning goal in overtime usually provokes a wild celebration, but that wasn’t the case during Saturday’s women’s soccer Sun Belt Tournament Championship game between Denver and North Texas.

When Denver’s Lleane Grimditch’s shot found the back of the net in the 94th minute, the freshman forward stood and let out a sigh of relief, while everyone else looked on in shock. The goal gave the Pioneers a 1-0 win and their third straight Sun Belt Championship.

“It felt really good, but I should have finished it earlier,” Grimditch said. “I was like, ‘finally.’ We did this for the seniors. They had to go to the tournament this year. That’s all they wanted and we did it for them.”

The finish concluded a tightly contested defensive struggle that saw Denver control possession for much of the contest. Denver outshot North Texas 17-8, and held a 8-3 advantage in shots on goal.

“We didn’t give up a goal in three games in the conference tournament,” Denver coach Jeff Hooker said. “I think that bodes well for our team. The crew that we have this year is much different than last year. Starting five freshman and four seniors, it’s a different mix than from what we’ve ever had.”

Denver had the first opportunity to score in the 14th minute, but junior defender Leah Becherer’s shot was saved by Mean Green goalie Briana Buchanan.

Twelve minutes later, the Pioneers had another chance when Grimditch fired a cross that was just out of reach of senior forward Jenni Harris.

North Texas had its best opportunity in the 39th minute, when freshman forward Melissa Chapman took a corner kick and fired a shot that sailed over the net.

Denver was the aggressor again in the second half, failing to cash in on four scoring opportunities in a 22-minute span in the second half.

The Mean Green’s best chance of the second half came in the 71st minute. Senior forward Marilyn Marin beat her defender and spun to her left, firing a shot from 15 yards out, which was saved by Denver goalie Danielle Wiley.

Neither team threatened again until overtime. Grimditch had a shot from in the box that was stopped by Buchanan, but three minutes later Grimditch found the back of the net.

“She was in a situation where she really didn’t have time to think,” Hooker said. “We talked a little bit before overtime about picking the corner (of the goal) out and she couldn’t have done it any better.”

Grimditch was named the tournament’s most outstanding player. Joining Grimditch on the all-tournament team were Laura Mann, Jamie Norwood and Harris from Denver; Melinda Pina Caree Ridenour and Marin from North Texas; Andrea Doogs and Crystal Chapon from Western Kentucky; and Danielle Perreault and Laura Miguez from Middle Tennessee.

With the win, Denver improves to 18-3 and advances to the NCAA tournament. North Texas ends its season 15-6-1 and runners-up in the conference tournament for the third straight season.

“We’ve been in this position several times, but this was probably our best opportunity to win the title,” North Texas coach John Hedlund said. “We had some opportunities that just missed. It was anybody’s game, we just came up short.”

From what I've been told you missed a very good game. We've all watched games where you can say neither team deserved to lose, and that's what I heard about this game. It was a tie, but Denver advanced. I'm sorry we lost, I think our seniors deserved a shot at the NCAA Tourney, but I'm glad they think they played well and 'left it all on the field."