National Merit Scholars

One really good thing that has been skipped in all the donations talk and State of the University talk is the increasing numbers of National Merit Scholars enrolled at UNT.  Last year UNT had 5.... This year 15!  That is a big jump, and a result of a concerted effort to attract these top scholars to UNT.  Obviously, to attract such students, a university must not only have the quality academic programs and research facilities these students seek, but the scholarship funds to make it easier for them to attend.

in the recent announcement by President Smatresk of the McNatt donation, it should also be noted that several others stepped up to add $500,000 to the scholarship pool used to attract National Merit Scholars. Those generous donors are:

Jim McNatt - $160,000

Ernie Kuehne - $160,000

Kristin Farmer -$120,000

C. Dan Smith - $80,000

Don Lovelace - $80,000

What is also interesting to note is that at least four of those five donors are rather substantial donors to the UNT Athletics program as well.  Jim McNatt was quoted as saying "I'm proud of the current administration and athletic leadership.  They are dedicated to ensuring the university remains a quality institution, expands its outreach and grows its nationally ranked educational programs."

Thanks to all these individuals who see the greatness that is UNT and who share the vision of an even great UNT going forward.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was kinda wondering how that worked.  Kid is taking the PSAT soon, and while the odds are overwhelmingly against, I thought, "Hey, why not look up this merit scholar thing."

When I was in high school, the rumor was that if you pulled it off (one kid in our high school did), that you pretty much got to go anywhere in the country you wanted for free (he did).  

So I look this up, and the actual scholarship award itself is paltry.  Like $1,000 paltry.  

I'm glad to see that the institutions take it upon themselves to attract these kids.

I really do hope to see UNT upping its academic game across the board that the years go by.  I hope someday that kids are applying here and hoping they get in rather than using it as their safety school.  

Are you privy to anything in the way of writing greater research grants and/or attracting upper tier faculty?

I hope someday that kids are applying here and hoping they get in rather than using it as their safety school.  

Plenty of people do that already. I came here because the two best computer graphic programs in the nation at that time were Purdue and NT.  My wife came here because the behavior science programs was one of the best in the nation.  

We have dozens of programs that are best in the state, several that are at the top nationally.  Now the average student who doesn't really know what they want to do but just wants to go to a cool school, they want to go to UT or aTm first because of name recognition.  Students who know exactly what want tend to search out the best school for that.  Sometimes that is NT, some times it is not.  

Are you privy to anything in the way of writing greater research grants and/or attracting upper tier faculty?

• Long term, the University is working on a grant tracking application, and the coordination of grant proposal staff.
  • The University spent tens of millions getting research clusters set up that attracted top faculty away from other universities, this needs to be done again.
  • Talon, the high performace super computer, needs to be upgraded.

Smatresk talked about the lack of research space.  We need several new buildings.  You can look at the Life Science Complex and be amazed at the size of it.  However I know that when we brought in a top bio chemist a few years ago, his labs and offices alone took up a majority of one of the floors.  We just need more physical space for everything (classrooms, administrative offices, faculty offices, meeting spaces, parking spaces, etc) but you just CAN NOT attract good research faculty unless you provide them with enough of the PROPERLY OUTFITTED space.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Their Kentucky Fried Outreach office is unparalleled. 

That's a given, you think of UTSA and KFO just like you think about NT and the College of Music, I am asking for non obvious answers.  

( Also, everyone knows Charles Barkley praised their Women's Churro Eating Center, but it's not officially accredited. ) 

• Upvote 3

I was kinda wondering how that worked.  Kid is taking the PSAT soon, and while the odds are overwhelmingly against, I thought, "Hey, why not look up this merit scholar thing."

When I was in high school, the rumor was that if you pulled it off (one kid in our high school did), that you pretty much got to go anywhere in the country you wanted for free (he did).  

So I look this up, and the actual scholarship award itself is paltry.  Like $1,000 paltry.  

I'm glad to see that the institutions take it upon themselves to attract these kids.

I really do hope to see UNT upping its academic game across the board that the years go by.  I hope someday that kids are applying here and hoping they get in rather than using it as their safety school.  

As to your last question...I can tell you "absolutely" is the University upping its game in both those area.  Some recent hires at both the dean and faculty levels point directly to your question.  And, regarding research grants, well, the pressure and emphasis is on.  Right now UNT is woefully behind Tier Ine institutions in this regard.  But, Dr. Smatresk has placed serious emphasis on faculty, deans, etc. in obtaining research and scholarship dollars.  I think if you would talk to and Dean, Departmental head and most faculty you would find that they have heard that message.  I am guessing that all will hear that message or they will be looking for a new gig.  The "good news" is that much has resulted from this initial emphasis...see the Jim McNatt donations and the others mentioned above...and note the large donation received recently by the Arts/Design folks and the hire of the new dean for that college and the recent fantastic hired of a new dean for the Mayborn School of Journalism....both home runs!  Plus, the naming of Dean Graves to the Provosts position is definitely a nod in the direction of increasing emphasis on research and scholarship dollars.  This will take some time...additional personnel moves are still to be made...some more than a little significant...but the wheels are in motion.  UNT is definitely headed in the right direction.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's good to hear.  I honestly don't expect us to be Harvard overnight, but I think we've been "good enough" for too long, even though playing such a role definitely serves its purpose.  UNT can and should be much more.  I am an academic first when it comes to universities, and I want to see all of the programs flourish. 

I would also like to know if there's any inside information as to why Don Finn stepped out of his role as chair of accounting and back into teaching.  I found that a curious move.

One really good thing that has been skipped in all the donations talk and State of the University talk is the increasing numbers of National Merit Scholars enrolled at UNT.  Last year UNT had 5.... This year 15! 

I'm not disputing your numbers-- honest-- I've just been told that we had an increase of 15 enrolled National Merit Scholars, not that we have 15 total. Kinda curious to know which figure is correct.

I'm not disputing your numbers-- honest-- I've just been told that we had an increase of 15 enrolled National Merit Scholars, not that we have 15 total. Kinda curious to know which figure is correct.

You are correct....I was meaning that last year we enrolled 5 new Merit Scholars....this year we enrolled 15.  Sorry if I was misleading in how I phrased that.  If you were at the game today you saw our Merit Scholars honored on the field during a time out.  That was really nice.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You are correct....I was meaning that last year we enrolled 5 new Merit Scholars....this year we enrolled 15.  Sorry if I was misleading in how I phrased that.  If you were at the game today you saw our Merit Scholars honored on the field during a time out.  That was really nice.

Were those current college students?  We couldn't figure out if they were UNT bound or already here.  They looked super young.  Of course, I generally feel super old, soooo....yeah

I did see the Merit Scholar time-out and thought that was really great. UNT Prez is really pushing to attract more to come here.

oldguy, those were current students who have enrolled. They're just baby Eagles. Of course, my family got asked today if we were up for Parents' Weekend, and our boys are still in high school... and I'm the student... *half-sigh half-laugh*

As to your last question...I can tell you "absolutely" is the University upping its game in both those area.  Some recent hires at both the dean and faculty levels point directly to your question.  And, regarding research grants, well, the pressure and emphasis is on.  Right now UNT is woefully behind Tier Ine institutions in this regard.  But, Dr. Smatresk has placed serious emphasis on faculty, deans, etc. in obtaining research and scholarship dollars.  I think if you would talk to and Dean, Departmental head and most faculty you would find that they have heard that message.  I am guessing that all will hear that message or they will be looking for a new gig.  The "good news" is that much has resulted from this initial emphasis...see the Jim McNatt donations and the others mentioned above...and note the large donation received recently by the Arts/Design folks and the hire of the new dean for that college and the recent fantastic hired of a new dean for the Mayborn School of Journalism....both home runs!  Plus, the naming of Dean Graves to the Provosts position is definitely a nod in the direction of increasing emphasis on research and scholarship dollars.  This will take some time...additional personnel moves are still to be made...some more than a little significant...but the wheels are in motion.  UNT is definitely headed in the right direction.  

So the Prez is sending the message to his department heads to step up and produce or find a new gig?

aVZgT.gif

• Upvote 3