UNT Golf at the NCAA regionals

outoftown

Yeah Ortiz did well today. Lets hope he can make a good impression tomorrow. Air time tomorrow is guaranteed, as he finished tied for 6th, and will be in the 3rd or 4th last pairing tomorrow. I guess he is too far away to have any shot at catching Mcilroy though. But I am sure he can make good advertising for when coach Stracke is recruiting.

The current boys did themselves proud over the C-USA tourney and day 1 and 2. Day 3 may not have been their best work, but I think it is still fair to say, that this was a decently successful season for UNT golf.

Edited by outoftown

Ortiz did not have a great day on sunday either, finishing 19th... then again, that was still worth almost 100k.

And while we are at it: I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but another mexican UNT alumn, Rodolfo Cauzaubon, is currently second in the money ranking in the PGA tour Latinoamerica. A top 5 spot would give him a spot on the web.com tour next season, and thus an opportunity to qualify for a pga tour card.

• Upvote 4

damn...I had no idea the men's team was playing Yale...would definitely have tried to catch a bit of the action had I known.

Yale's course is one of the best designed and hardest I've ever played...for those familiar, it's a C.B. MacDonald design (National Golf Links of America, Bermuda Ocean Club). Keith mentioned the 9th hole...it's a par 3 from a 50 foot elevated tee entirely over water to a 60 yard deep green with a 10 foot swale running right through the middle. I've hit 8 iron and I've hit 5 wood into this green...totally depends on pin and tee placement. there are a number of blind drives and blind approaches...it is not terribly long (though 18 from the tips plays about 625...blind landing area off the tee, split fairway for the second with almost zero opportunity to get home in 2) but it's a true shot-maker's course with very tricky greens. it doesn't surprise me in the least to see only one team finish below par.