Dez Willingham

Dez Willingham, is that Desoto player, who we were after a few years back. He transferred from Kansas State......but picked SMU as his landing spot. He is now leaving SMU, and still has one year of eligibility left. He has already graduated with a Bachelors degree in Sociology, and wants to pursue a masters in Education.

Since he'll be a senior (and has already graduated).....he can transfer anywhere without sitting out a year. Should we take him? We have that 13th scholly available.

I know we really don't need another guard. But, in this case....you get a 13th player, and still have that scholarship to give next November or April when you're putting together the recruitng class that would start at NT in the 2008-2009 season.

I'd say, if there's no big man that we're still after, and we were gonna just sit on that 13th scholly....what do we have to lose, by giving it to a 1 year guy.

Edited by Green Means Go!

I'd be interested to hear why he's leaving SMUt with one year of eligibility left, and why he turned UNT down the first time. I'd like another Big body instead, and I'm concerned like GrandGreen about him taking PG time from other players that will be here longer. I'm sure JJ will know if he can use him and not just waste bench space.

A 5'11 point guard, with 3 point guards already on the team? What would he do other than take minutes from players who need to develop?

He's leaving SMU because he has already graduated. He wants a Masters in Education which SMU doesn't offer. He signed with SMU because he's from DeSoto and his dad played for Jimmy Tubbs at Kimball.

SUMG brings up a good point, what does it hurt? I like to think JJ is still holding out hope that a Rod Flemings will pull a Bill Donavan and return. Dez would only play one semester and could actual mentor the younger guards. What's a little competition?

The irony though is that he could help convince fellow DeSoto Eagle Flemings to return but would take the only ship available. Maybe he can pay his way the first year and use the ship the next year after Ben Bell is gone. (unless you have so many years to play)

Meant to say he would only play 1 year instead of 1 semester. Another benefit is that Dez was a legend at DeSoto; leading them to their only 5A state title. It never hurts to continue to develop the DISD/Southern Dallas County pipeline to Denton where hoops is the hotbed of the state.

Lastly, it looks like JJ will not add another player to the 07 Class. If this is the case, the exact same scholarship to Dez would go to another big in the fall of 07 or spring of 08. Keep in mind, Josh White is recovering from an injury.

He's leaving SMU because he has already graduated. He wants a Masters in Education which SMU doesn't offer. He signed with SMU because he's from DeSoto and his dad played for Jimmy Tubbs at Kimball.

SUMG brings up a good point, what does it hurt? I like to think JJ is still holding out hope that a Rod Flemings will pull a Bill Donavan and return. Dez would only play one semester and could actual mentor the younger guards. What's a little competition?

The irony though is that he could help convince fellow DeSoto Eagle Flemings to return but would take the only ship available. Maybe he can pay his way the first year and use the ship the next year after Ben Bell is gone. (unless you have so many years to play)

Good answers. So, do we really have one ship left for this coming 2007-08 season? That must be almost unheard of... to not use a ship available, isn't is?

Guest GrayEagleOne

Hey, scholarships are not free. Why waste $5-10,000 on a scholarship for a position that's already loaded? As Grand pointed out, he'd just take playing time from those that need to develop.

I'd say save it for a 4 or 5 if one becomes available. Otherwise, save the money.

Hey, scholarships are not free. Why waste $5-10,000 on a scholarship for a position that's already loaded? As Grand pointed out, he'd just take playing time from those that need to develop.

I'd say save it for a 4 or 5 if one becomes available. Otherwise, save the money.

Is it a waste of money to sign a kid who is better than your starting point guard?

Is it a waste of money to sign a kid who is better than your starting point guard?

I doubt he is better than Bell. He averaged 5.4 pts, and around 2 assists a game for the 3-13 (conference record) SMU mustangs. Bell was a very good pg at year end. McCoy has led two national championship juco teams. Why in the world would NT recruit an average player in his last year at a position that should be strong. Now if he was available last year, a totally different answer.