MGB: Brice commits to UNT

Brett Vito

How is Benford doing with retention? Specific to non-JUCOs.

I realize he has not been here long enough to oversee a full 4 or 5 year cycle, but it seems like most non-JUCO signees have not been here longer than 2 years.

I think it's only the JUCOS who have left? I am probably wrong. I only remeber losing Colman and Gaines. CJ as well, but he was not recruited by Benford. The only player I can remeber that left who was recruited by Benford as an underclass,en was PJ Hardwick.

At this point CJ is probably a lose but the others do not matter. Benford has been able to being in guys like Taylor and Reese and the guard position. At the wing we have guys like Wesley and Combs. The center had always been a weakness at UNT and definetly under Benford. It seems like now we at least have a little hope down there. I am hoping he is able to bring in a big 6'9 or 6'10 JUCO player to help Ahmed and Brice. We have two more scholarships for 2015 and I hope we make a huge splash with one of them!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

without any bigs we will live and die by the jump shots I fear. I like a lot of our players but even Jordan is a streak shooter and Maurice may be the best pure shooter we have yet even he is streaky. IF and its a big if, we can have someone develop into a consistent outside 3-point shooter we could be ok. The better teams have at least one 6-9, 6-10 guy with some size to play against the better teams who have more size. We do not have that luxury this season with Gaines and Coleman being busts.

I am hoping our defense can adjust. Maybe you play the zine and bring everyone down a few feet in rider to keep the ball out of the paint? I am unsure where we will go defensively. I would love to see us run a full court press 80% of the game! We have a deep bench; especially at the guard position. We can run and are athletic. We need to use this to our advantage.