Precious moments: Whitfield battles through mom's health issues

Harry

Victoria Whitfield could feel the anticipation building inside as the ball Louisiana Tech quarterback Ryan Higgins lofted toward the sideline dropped steadily last week.

All three televisions in Whitfield’s Sherman home were tuned to North Texas’ game against the Bulldogs with the volume turned up. The sound that reverberated through her house gave Whitfield a sense of what was about to happen in Ruston, La., as son Zac Whitfield broke on the ball, snatched it out of the air and weaved 56 yards down the field for what turned out to be a game-winning touchdown.

“It was like a warm feeling,” Victoria Whitfield said. “I was overjoyed and was screaming and hollering.”

Those moments are precious for both Victoria Whitfield and her son as she battles health issues. For the past 25 years, an enlarged artery in Whitfield’s brain has leaked fluid, blurring her vision. She also has heart problems and has battled ovarian cancer since Zac Whitfield’s senior year in high school.

Victoria and Zac Whitfield acknowledge that they have no idea of how much longer she has to live — it could be months or years.

That uncertainty makes every day and every highlight on the field precious for Victoria and Zac Whitfield, who will try to build on arguably his finest performance with UNT on Saturday when the Mean Green visits Southern Mississippi.

Whitfield came off the bench to intercept two passes in UNT’s win over Tech, just six weeks after he was pulled from the starting lineup due to his struggles in the Mean Green’s first two games.

“I’ve faced a lot of adversity, from losing my starting position to off-the-field issues with my family,” Zac Whitfield said. “The team has been there for me through it all and helped me get through it. They have been there for me every step.”

So has Victoria Whitfield, 47, who taught her son to never back down from a challenge like those he has faced this fall.

“She always used to tell me not to let anyone tell me that I couldn’t do something,” Zac Whitfield said. “She said I could do anything.”

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20131023-football-precious-moments.ece

Great story, and well written.

I thought this was an interesting quote.....

"McCarney said that Whitfield should have had several more interceptions last season, when passes he could have picked off ended up being pass breakups when he dropped the ball.

“We always tell Zac he couldn’t catch a cold,” Orr said."

My reaction? Well hell, then move him to TE.

Edited by SilverEagle