To equal the crazy anti-Derek talk, here's some anti-RB trio talk:

So far this season, the trio of running backs has produced:

Brandin Byrd

52 rushes - 186 yards - 3.6 per carry - 2 TDs

Reggie Pegram

41 rushes - 140 yards - 3.4 per carry - 2 TDs

Antoinne Jimmerson

31 rushes - 71 yards - 2.3 per carry - 1 TD

But, Rex Rollins is the better runner and give us the best chance to win with his:

5 rushes - 26 yards - 5.2 per carry - 0 TD

Why can't Mac and Canales see that the rush game is the running backs' fault, not the offensive line? Byrd, Pegram, and Jimmerson obviously do not know how to run as well as Rollins. Why are they keeping him on the bench?

If Rollins were getting Byrd, Pegram, and Jimmerson's carries, he'd already have over 600 yards rushing!

Gah!

:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Brandin Byrd

Reggie Pegram

Antoinne Jimmerson

But, Rex Rollins is the better runner and give us the best chance to win with his:

Why can't Mac and Canales see that the rush game is the running backs' fault, not the offensive line? Byrd, Pegram, and Jimmerson obviously do not know how to run as well as Rollins. Why are they keeping him on the bench?

If Rollins were getting Byrd, Pegram, and Jimmerson's carries, he'd already have over 600 yards rushing!

Gah!

It's the RB fault when 3 guys are there to meet them at the LOS? Lol.

Rollins will do no better unless we can figure out how to block 8 with 6. Lord knows we are gonna keep trying.

Even the best running teams have trouble running against 8 in the box. The running game will not get going as long as teams play us this way.

Dinking and dunking is not going to get teams out of it either. You have to hurt them big time vertically to stop that 8 in the box. Kinda like the way teams hit us with big plays when the corners are on an island...

• Upvote 1

I wasn't being anti-Derek in my thread about using a running qb for the record. I know that isn't the only anti-DT talk you are referring to, just wanted to clear that up.

I was proposing that we use some zone read to mix things up and add misdirection to our running game since running right at people isn't working. We should do more of that with DT, but I would like to see us out our running qbs in there to do that as well as make a throw to keep defenses honest against that wildcat.

GOMG2013 is right. Dinking and dunking is helping our passing stats since DT is getting yards and completions from them, but they aren't helping our team a whole lot. Our scoring has not improved dramatically from last year, except for the Idaho and Ball St game. Defenses will stack the box unless we show that we can complete a pass 15+ yards down the field effectively. We have to throw more of those passes. If DT can't complete them so be it.

Our scoring has not improved dramatically from last year, except for the Idaho and Ball St game.

Actually our offense gets better every time we fall behind. It's not a coincidence that we have fallen behind in every game and then fight back into it. We play too conservatively, run into 8 or 9 man fronts and get get scored on, then we start throwing and move the ball. Idaho was an outlier because so they were so bad at the time.

I have always been a run first guy, I loved dickeyball, but this isn't working. We obviously need to throw, and not just short routes to the flats and 1001 8 yard crosses. We need to throw over people and force those safeties back. Then we can run.

We scored 21 in the second half, if we had scored 21 in the first Tulane would never have been able to score enough to beat us. Instead we wasted a half running into stacked fronts and punting.

• Upvote 4

Actually our offense gets better every time we fall behind. It's not a coincidence that we have fallen behind in every game and then fight back into it. We play too conservatively, run into 8 or 9 man fronts and get get scored on, then we start throwing and move the ball. Idaho was an outlier because so they were so bad at the time.

I have always been a run first guy, I loved dickeyball, but this isn't working. We obviously need to throw, and not just short routes to the flats and 1001 8 yard crosses. We need to throw over people and force those safeties back. Then we can run.

We scored 21 in the second half, if we had scored 21 in the first Tulane would never have been able to score enough to beat us. Instead we wasted a half running into stacked fronts and punting.

Good point. And I absolutely agree that we should throw more. Teams are running 8 in the box all the time, might as well make them pay.

I'm as big a DT critic as there is, but I think we have a better chance if he is slinging it downfield.

Defenses will stack the box unless we show that we can complete a pass 15+ yards down the field effectively. We have to throw more of those passes. If DT can't complete them so be it.

Im new to unt football, but I rarely see them take shots Downfield. It used to be a strategy when teams would throw a deep ball on the first series to send a message and try to get a team out of a defense. Just line your fastest player out wide, and sling it. Even if it is overthrown, it sends a message that we are taking shots at you.

Another problem with the way people play us is we dont have a back that will take it to the house. Is it too late for Whitfield to go back to rb? We need speed.

But.. wait.. Throwing the ball early in the game - Involves risk right!?!? What if we THROW AN INTERCEPTION!?!?

Even the best running teams have trouble running against 8 in the box. The running game will not get going as long as teams play us this way.

Dinking and dunking is not going to get teams out of it either. You have to hurt them big time vertically to stop that 8 in the box. Kinda like the way teams hit us with big plays when the corners are on an island...

The other teams are stacking heavy against the run, you're right - long passes will be the way to keep the defense honest for both the run and for mid/short passes.

Brandin Byrd

Reggie Pegram

Antoinne Jimmerson

Gah!

Rollins ran for 26 yards against Idaho.... Really

Has anyone looked to see what happened on the blocked field goal or who missed the block?

Tommy Perry has to be kicking himself over that and the running backs...

On the Tulane highlight video it looks like 98 blocks out and 18 blocks down. Tulane rushed 2 guys at 98 and he chose the outside one; thus the inside guy has a free run through. Going back to Junior High FG protection...always block from the inside out! Perry has to be pulling his hair out

This, this, this. I would also like to see more of Rollins, because he has speed that the other backs do not.

Um...you guys...

9780879759193_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

Rex Rollins would do no better than Byrd, Pegram, or Jimmerson given the way the OL is blocking. My point was to show how ridiculous it is to be bitching about Derek Thompson.

Byrd, Pegram, and Jimmerson...and Thompson...are fine. The big picture is, it would be really swell if the run game were going as well as the pass game is. If we ever get to that point, we will be difficult to stop.

• Upvote 2