Exciting UNT Facility Master Plan Feb. 2013 Update

Harry

This is pretty cool. Getting rid of the Sack and Save strip center would be great!( more exposure on 35). Also a Hotel , the Stadium and a Baseball field would really look impressive!

NTSU what is that!

For years I have heard students who take a college visit to UNT tell me how they are turned off by the first impression of the campus. Their comments are usually along the lines of "All I remember are a bunch of ugly old stores". I always tell them to look around, but first impressions are first impressions. Sack and Save really must go. I have always wondered why so many past administrations have failed to have that eyesore removed through imminent domain or by whatever means possible.
  • Upvote 3

For years I have heard students who take a college visit to UNT tell me how they are turned off by the first impression of the campus. Their comments are usually along the lines of "All I remember are a bunch of ugly old stores". I always tell them to look around, but first impressions are first impressions. Sack and Save really must go. I have always wondered why so many past administrations have failed to have that eyesore removed through imminent domain or by whatever means possible.

because money does not grow on trees unless it is being wasted in dallas on failed economic developments

and eminent domain is not something that can just be used whenever some entity with the ability to use it wishes to use it....there has to be a PROVEN need and right now north Texas has plenty of land and space to build upon and it is doubtful they could prove need if they were to try

plus the Sack N Save property alone is on the tax rolls for $2,155,000 and I doubt it could be bought for that even with eminent domain since there would need to be provisions made for taking away the profitibility of the owners of that property both the real property owner and Sack N Save so you are probably looking at 4 or 5 million alone for just that property and when you add in the strip center, exxon, IHOP, and on and on and you add in that each of those businesses is having the ability to profit from an investment taken away from them you are looking at a very large investment of cash just to get the properties then you have to scrape them clean as well

Sack N Save, McDonalds, Exxon, Raise The Flag, IHOP, Dollar General and on and on are all making money from that property as are the property owners and the use of eminent domain that would strip them of the ability to continue to do so would be an expensive legal fight and a settlement well over the taxable value of all those properties which is about 4 million+

and I seriously doubt The City of Denton is looking to take ownership of those properties since doing so would remove the ability to collect property taxes from them....if Denton was going to lose the right to collect taxes on those properties it would be much smarter to just let north Texas pay that cost and Denton would just lose tax revenue instead of spending tax money to lose tax revenue

also The City of Denton getting involved would just make it much more likely that an eminent domain case would lose in court since "beautification" projects in Texas are not considered public interest projects and may actually not qualify for the use of eminent domain at all....north Texas could try and make a case, but at this point since no lack of space is shown on a 20 year plan that was just released for the university detailing the locations of future projects I doubt that would be a winning case in court especially in Texas

and when a university is having to spend 3.5 million on T-shacks to house two long established programs of study and they are going to place those T-shacks at the highly visible location of Chestnut and Welch I doubt there is money available so buy 6-8 million worth of real estate (maybe more depending on profitibility of the various businesses on those properties) and then pay to scrape them clean as well especially when there is no long term planned use for them

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

because money does not grow on trees unless it is being wasted in dallas on failed economic developments

and eminent domain is not something that can just be used whenever some entity with the ability to use it wishes to use it....there has to be a PROVEN need and right now north Texas has plenty of land and space to build upon and it is doubtful they could prove need if they were to try

plus the Sack N Save property alone is on the tax rolls for $2,155,000 and I doubt it could be bought for that even with eminent domain since there would need to be provisions made for taking away the profitibility of the owners of that property both the real property owner and Sack N Save so you are probably looking at 4 or 5 million alone for just that property and when you add in the strip center, exxon, IHOP, and on and on and you add in that each of those businesses is having the ability to profit from an investment taken away from them you are looking at a very large investment of cash just to get the properties then you have to scrape them clean as well

Sack N Save, McDonalds, Exxon, Raise The Flag, IHOP, Dollar General and on and on are all making money from that property as are the property owners and the use of eminent domain that would strip them of the ability to continue to do so would be an expensive legal fight and a settlement well over the taxable value of all those properties which is about 4 million+

and I seriously doubt The City of Denton is looking to take ownership of those properties since doing so would remove the ability to collect property taxes from them....if Denton was going to lose the right to collect taxes on those properties it would be much smarter to just let north Texas pay that cost and Denton would just lose tax revenue instead of spending tax money to lose tax revenue

also The City of Denton getting involved would just make it much more likely that an eminent domain case would lose in court since "beautification" projects in Texas are not considered public interest projects and may actually not qualify for the use of eminent domain at all....north Texas could try and make a case, but at this point since no lack of space is shown on a 20 year plan that was just released for the university detailing the locations of future projects I doubt that would be a winning case in court especially in Texas

and when a university is having to spend 3.5 million on T-shacks to house two long established programs of study and they are going to place those T-shacks at the highly visible location of Chestnut and Welch I doubt there is money available so buy 6-8 million worth of real estate (maybe more depending on profitibility of the various businesses on those properties) and then pay to scrape them clean as well especially when there is no long term planned use for them

Your knowledge knows no bounds!

• Upvote 1

Gee, I was just asking. But they are still UGLY no matter how many dollar signs they represent. We need another route to the campus.

• Upvote 1

I thought the campus was dull and somewhat depressing when I arrived in the summer of 1999 for orientation. It was hotter than hell and they had us in one of those older dorms that back up to the hideous aforementioned shopping center. Fortunately, I didn't choose college for aesthetic appeal (just as I wasn't selecting a college based on athletic prowess...obviously).

But the campus has changed a lot since then. Tremendous progress has been made and it makes it a joy to visit these days. I cant wait to see how it takes shape in over the next five, ten years.

And yeah... long past time for Sack n Save to go away.

They are for darn sure building for a big time 40-45,000 enrollment university in Denton but for the moment that is where the big time ends. (I

like their ideas for Apogee Stadium and the new hotel and conference center at the Mean Green Village/Apogee area, too).

We've just got to start putting round pegs into round holes with our key hires in Denton instead of what we've been doing, ie, round in square which has us

where we are today especially since our school's athletic stock has not risen dramatically or significently for so long.

This upcoming new main UNT campus president hire may be the most important hire for us in that position in a very long time. We cannot afford to miss

on this one.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Notice the baseball stadium?! It's coming!

And places the sun right in the face of the home side fans, the home dug out and every first baseman taking throws for that easy out.

Like the waste-of-space wing zone section, this needs to be addressed, but hopefully BEFORE it's built.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

And places the sun right in the face of the home side fans, the home dug out and every first baseman taking throws for that easy out.

Like the waste-of-space wing zone section, this needs to be addressed, but hopefully BEFORE it's built.

Rick

If only ball players were allowed to wear hats. Or eye-black. Or sunglasses. This would be a non-issue.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If only we played in an air conditioned dome too. Or if North Texas was only located in San Diego..........

Rick

Found some interesting items with regard to pro-parks.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/stadium/ballpark_NSEW_NL.shtml

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/stadium/ballpark_NSEW_AL.shtml

Also, read a blurb about architects computer modeling of ball parks and found this:

"Computer modeling the path of the sun in 10-minute increments throughout the season is standard procedure for stadium architects."

So perhaps, that master plan just has the ball park laid in at its current orientation simply as FPO ("For Position/Placement Only). And perhaps it was done that way because they haven't modeled it yet and just went with the easiest way to get it into the doc.

• Upvote 2