A good UNT Alum in serious need of some help.

One of my closest friends, fellow UNT Alum, and the dude I get my football season tickets with is right in the middle of a major health crisis right now.

Please take a couple minutes to visit this site and read his story:

http://brianpeytonfund.theneener.net/

Anything you can spare be it money, thoughts, wishes, or prayer would be greatly appreciated in these toughest of times.

Just as a point of reference for how long he's been stuck in the ICU... The last real conversation I was able to have with him was the call he gave me to break the JJ to LSU news.

Also, please excuse the picture of him in the Whorns t-shirt... his UT grad girlfriend gets her way when they visit Austin.

Thanks

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks to any and all who have visited his page and donated what they could. I heard from his girlfriend at lunch today that she's begun receiving donations from names she doesn't recognize so I went ahead and told her she could just attribute most of those the good Mean Green fans out in internet world.

My buddy Peyton was finally moved out of the ICU again today. His girlfriend Nicole asked me to thank all who've donated from the bottom of her heart. The outpour of support she's seen thus far is overwhelming.

A big hearty thank you from me as well.

• Upvote 1

If there is anyway I can donate $ other than PayPal let me know. I'll even send you a check if I have to.

It took me too long to get around to posting this but I want to publicly thank NT03 for being a great guy. To go through the trouble of putting a check in the mail to help out a complete stranger is something I'm not sure many, including myself, would do. The kindness shown by your actions mean so much to myself and everyone who considers Brian a friend.

Thank you.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

Guess I should update this thread more than once every couple months...

However many football games I make it to this season, they'll be the first I've been to without Brian since 04-05. Still holding out hope for some Super Pit action though...

Brian's made incredible strides in the past couple months with still a long ways to go. Being a non-insured charity case, I think the Hospital released him a couple weeks before he was really strong enough, but he's steadily getting there. Almost 3 months in a hospital bed (not to mention 6 invasive brain surgeries) will apparently zap you of all your strength. He's finally to the point where he can get up and walk around (unassisted but usually with a walker) but her tires out quickly.

The biggest hurdle now is short term memory and other cognitive issues. His long term memory is amazing, probably better than mine, but the short just isn't there yet. We were all getting a little worried with the lack more drastic improvement, but after his first CT scan in weeks and weeks (cost prohibitive) we were given great news! The tumor is DEAD. What none of us realized is that they don't always shrink while they're dying... So now its basically a racquetball sized cyst sitting in there, not growing, but still putting pressure on important areas of the brain. All indications are that it should begin to shrink and be absorbed once he begins chemo! Then the real improvement can begin.

Their debt continues to grow by the day, and I could give you some real horror stories from their interactions with Denton's local hospitals, but I've already typed about twice as much as I like. If you'd like any more information, the website in the first post of the thread has been updated as recently as a couple days ago.

Thank you for your continued thoughts, prayers, and donations.

• Upvote 3

Guess I should update this thread more than once every couple months...

However many football games I make it to this season, they'll be the first I've been to without Brian since 04-05. Still holding out hope for some Super Pit action though...

Brian's made incredible strides in the past couple months with still a long ways to go. Being a non-insured charity case, I think the Hospital released him a couple weeks before he was really strong enough, but he's steadily getting there. Almost 3 months in a hospital bed (not to mention 6 invasive brain surgeries) will apparently zap you of all your strength. He's finally to the point where he can get up and walk around (unassisted but usually with a walker) but her tires out quickly.

The biggest hurdle now is short term memory and other cognitive issues. His long term memory is amazing, probably better than mine, but the short just isn't there yet. We were all getting a little worried with the lack more drastic improvement, but after his first CT scan in weeks and weeks (cost prohibitive) we were given great news! The tumor is DEAD. What none of us realized is that they don't always shrink while they're dying... So now its basically a racquetball sized cyst sitting in there, not growing, but still putting pressure on important areas of the brain. All indications are that it should begin to shrink and be absorbed once he begins chemo! Then the real improvement can begin.

Their debt continues to grow by the day, and I could give you some real horror stories from their interactions with Denton's local hospitals, but I've already typed about twice as much as I like. If you'd like any more information, the website in the first post of the thread has been updated as recently as a couple days ago.

Thank you for your continued thoughts, prayers, and donations.

thx for the update. I found myself wondering about what his status was a couple of weeks after you posted the OP and then I received a very unexpected card in the mail from his girlfriend...and hand written. The next day I wound up donating more to another cause (the Miami zombie victim's bills) just due to the fact that she was sincerely appreciative of a modest donation and took the time to hand write out her thanks (made my day but again...I never expected it). Sounds like a couple awesome people and I am glad to hear he is getting better!

Folks...this is something we can ALL do to help out a member of the great Mean Green Nation. Even a very small donation would help a great deal. Not only will it help from the financial standpoint, but it will help emotionally and spiritually as as well. Positive attitudes and knowing that people you don't even know are pulling for you DOES HELP! I firmly believe that, so...if you can...take a look and help Brian out.

I have absolutely no clue who GreenP1 is, nor do I know Brian...but I know they are members of the Mean Green Nation, I know Brian has a great friend in GreenP1, I know Brian needs some help, I know if I help with something it will make a difference...that's pretty much all I need to know. How about you?

GO get 'em Brian....thanks to GreenP1 for bringing this to our attention.

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

My friend Brian's girlfriend Nicole asked me to post this for her:

Dear Go Mean Green,

I cannot thank you enough for the amazing and generous outpouring of support for Brian. During the most troubling time of our lives, the Mean Green family has really stepped up and graciously helped one of their own. When I say family, I really mean family. Families help each other when they are on hard times, and that is exactly what the Go Mean Green family has done for us. It has warmed our hearts that people we don't know personally would help us so much. Your support has meant so much to me and Brian. It has been truly amazing that when we have so much to worry about, UNT alumni and supporters have given us so much financial help, which in turn allows us to focus on healing instead of trying to figure out how we are going to pay our bills.

So thank you, to everyone out there who has made a contribution, financial or with kind words, thoughts or prayers. Your support has meant the world to us. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Go Mean Green!

Brian and Nicole

• Upvote 3

Physically he's getting stronger everyday but cognitive progress is coming along much slower than we'd hoped. For all we know the lack of progress is due to the dead tumor continuing to apply pressure, but due to the insane amount of red tape an uninsured individual faces in these situations they cant get his chemo treatments started or get him regularly scheduled MRI's to track progress...

Edited by Green P1

Physically he's getting stronger everyday but cognitive progress is coming along much slower than we'd hoped. For all we know the lack of progress is due to the dead tumor continuing to apply pressure, but due to the insane amount of red tape an uninsured individual faces in these situations they cant get his chemo treatments started or get him regularly scheduled MRI's to track progress...

Any Mean Green doctors or hospital admin types out there that might could help cut through some of this red tape GreenP1 speaks about to get Brian's treatments moving forward?

• Upvote 1

Any Mean Green doctors or hospital admin types out there that might could help cut through some of this red tape GreenP1 speaks about to get Brian's treatments moving forward?

Its a wonderful sentiment, but I don't believe the current system allows for good people who'd like to help in this manner. Case in point, the wonderful Denton Firefighters who saved his life by being first on the scene the night of his initial stroke, and have been awesome throughout this situation, almost certainly won't receive payment because they're not allowed to defer or accept payment plans for their services.

I could list so many situations they've encountered throughout this crisis that would sour you on our local hospitals... but I'll leave it a just this one. Three days after Brian was able to come home he developed a fairly severe case of kidney stones (which I'm told is fairly common among individuals laid up for an extended amount of time and coming off a catheter.) Because of the considerable size of the stones they checked him into Denton Regional in order to have the stones broken up with a machine that would make their passing possible. After a day in a hospital bed racking up more and more medical bills they wouldn't be able to pay, they were informed that the machine would not be available until three days later. Upon hearing this his girlfriend Nicole asked if they could be released to go home and be called back up when the machine was available. The doctor had the gall to refuse this request and tell her in front of the nurses "Well we already know you aren't going to pay us, so we'll just continue to feed and water him until he's ready to leave." To stand there and refer to my best friend Brian as nothing more than a plant or dog... after all he's been through... If I could figure out that Doctor's name I'd track him down and do my very best to break his arms and face.

Edited by Green P1

• 3 weeks later...

We finally got Charity Monday for Brian set up Oak St Drafthouse & Cocktail Parlor. It will be the Monday before the LaLa game so get yourself out there and drink for charity. If you're lucky enough I might even beat you at a game of cornhole. We need this place packed to the gills so they'll consider granting him another Monday on down the line.

Feel free to RSVP if you'd like.

http://www.facebook....?ref=ts&fref=ts

charity monday @ oak st drafthouse & cocktail parlor

benefiting the brian peyton fund

oak st drafthouse will be donating 10% of their sales on 10/15 to the brian peyton fund. nick thrasher and john williams will be bartending monday night and will be donating their tips to the fund as well, cause they kick ass!.

we will also be selling brain tshirts screenprinted by dozy doats totes for $10 (sizes s-xl). we will only have 40 shirts on monday but you will be able to order them after via dozy doats etsy shop. the design isn't up yet (once it is i'll add a photo and update the link), but feel free to check out their shop.

http://www.etsy.com/.../dozydoatstotes#

come out and have some drinks with friends, while helping out a truly badass guy!

Edited by Green P1

What'll time does it start? We have the basketball preview Madness night thing at the Pit that night that starts at 7PM. Could one make the Oak Street Draft House thing and then get to the Super Pit by say 6:15pm or so? Would love to stop by..have a pint or two...grab a t-shirt and head to the Super Pit. I'll stay away from the corn hole game....I smell a hustle somewhere! Ha!

I was trying to avoid the Monday of the Tip-Off party... but that's where they put us. The donations begin going towards Brian at 6 and end at 2.

Excellent...could you reserve me a t-shirt in a size LARGE? I can pre-pay by mailing you a check if that would help as well. Love this idea...great work. Hope you guys raise tons of dollars for Brian.

EDIT: Folks...as it ends at 2AM...why not, if you can't make it BEFORE the Basketball event, stop by after the event to help out with the great event? Seems like that would work as well. Let's get behind this and show what the great Mean green nation can do to help one of its own!!!! Come on...we, together, can do this! And, have a great fun time as well...what's not to like about the Oak Street Ale House? NOTHING, that's what. Be there...support this thing!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP...folks, this needs your support. Go to the BB event if that's your thing and then head down to this event for some post-BB kick-off brews in support of a member of the great Mean Green Nation. Am certain that several of your fellow GMG.Com friends will be in attendance. Be there...great place...had a few draft beers there just this last Saturday afternoon with the bride....great backyard beer garden....COME ON DOWN!!!!

Just a note...they don't serve food....so, if you want something to eat...stop by your favorite place on the way and bring it with you...you can eat in the beer garden while enjoying one (or more) of 40+ drafts they have on tap!

• Upvote 1

BUMP...folks, this needs your support. Go to the BB event if that's your thing and then head down to this event for some post-BB kick-off brews in support of a member of the great Mean Green Nation. Am certain that several of your fellow GMG.Com friends will be in attendance. Be there...great place...had a few draft beers there just this last Saturday afternoon with the bride....great backyard beer garden....COME ON DOWN!!!!

Just a note...they don't serve food....so, if you want something to eat...stop by your favorite place on the way and bring it with you...you can eat in the beer garden while enjoying one (or more) of 40+ drafts they have on tap!

what he said

I've never been there, Do they serve food as well ?

I've pretty much stopped drinking , but I can eat like a champ.

As I mentioned above....reading skills...Ha! NO, they do not serve food, but you are more than welcome to stop by your favorite food shop on the way and bring whatever you want to eat into the event! I have eaten items from Weinberger's Deli, Hoochie's, Sonic, Mellow Mushroom, Burguesa Burger and the Love Shack in the place....so, bring what you like and eat away...and help a Mean green Alum while you are at it tonight...I hear GreenP1 might take anyone who dares on in a game of Corn Hole!

As I mentioned above....reading skills...Ha! NO, they do not serve food, but you are more than welcome to stop by your favorite food shop on the way and bring whatever you want to eat into the event! I have eaten items from Weinberger's Deli, Hoochie's, Sonic, Mellow Mushroom, Burguesa Burger and the Love Shack in the place....so, bring what you like and eat away...and help a Mean green Alum while you are at it tonight...I hear GreenP1 might take anyone who dares on in a game of Corn Hole!

I read ur 1st paragraph & then the very last sentence :) ...that's what I get!

I read ur 1st paragraph & then the very last sentence :) ...that's what I get!

No problem...you can still help out if you don't want to drink...I think they are selling t-shirts for the cause and taking donations of any size/amount. Come on down if you can...should be fun. I really do hope the Mean green Nation shows up to support this event. The alums and fans of the Mean green are great folks and often come together to help in such cases. It makes me very proud to be a member of this great Mean green Nation of ours when I see alums helping other alums...and when I can be a part...even a very small part of it....come on down!