How Will Mean Green Do vs FIU ?

MeanGreen61

Well . . . I see what you're saying, but in all fairness, FIU 2010 isn't really parallel to UNT 2011. Mario Cristobal had been building up FIU for several years. And the poor record in 2009 was a step down from 5 wins in '08--you might say they picked up in '10 where they left off at the end of '08.

I'm not really disputing your points that it is anyone's league or that a significant 1-year turnaround is possible; I'm just not sure if the two teams' situations are parallel.

But, lets focus on what they do have in common. FIU was picked to finish anywhere from 6th to 8th place in the conference last year, just like UNT this year. One of FIU's biggest questions was at QB, just like UNT this year. FIU had a real college coach. UNT now has a real college coach.

Granted there are differences, but there are also similiarities. The good thing is, we will get a pretty good barameter of where is team is in the SBC the first week opf the season.

• Upvote 3

I think you have to throw out last year's contest because Baine was in at QB for that game. Not saying anything negative about Baine, but offensively, we will be a night and day different offense when we play them this year just by having Thompson back there. He simply has more to offer at the QB position.

With that being said, I don't know if it is enough to beat them or not, but I am also not saying it isn't

I think this game will feel awfully similar to Ball State of a couple years ago.

Agree. Although, FIU hasn't changed coaches since their bowl game like Ball State had.

I still say the Belt is the Belt. We hung with Troy to the end with a really beat up team. I don't see any reason we don't hang with FIU.

The Belt is what it is. No sense in pretending otherwise. FIU, and everyone else, is beatable week in and week out.

• Upvote 2

Opening Vegas line has the Mean Green at minus 14. Vito sez, as he predicted, UNT is a "huge" underdog in the season opener. I beleive that UNT will beat the spread and actually has a chance to deliver a surprise to pundits. What do you think ?

This one will come down to Defenses.

With this being the first game of the season, I will be very surprised if we don't at least cover the spread...

I agree with an earlier poster that said that FIU isn't exactly Florida State... We shouldn't be that far behind in terms of talent, and our coaching has been significantly upgraded right...??

This is a huge trap game for FIU... Heavily favored at home against what amounts to a bit of an unknown quantity...

The only thing that would truly surprise me is if we get blown out...

But I think the days of SBC blowouts are behind us...

I can't wait...