Arizona Db Verbal Reconsidering?

gangrene

We may have an outside shot at getting this kid to stay closer to home. From what I understand, he's recently changed his verbal commitment to Arizona (made in June) from "solid" to "soft." Check the DB prospect blog to see another Lincoln HS DB, with a North Texas offer, that may influence Swarn's decision.

Kerry Swarn - Rivals, Scout, ESPN - S, 6'2", 190 lbs, 4.6 40, Lincoln HS, Dallas, TX - interested in Arizona, Baylor, Colorado State, East Carolina, Iowa State, North Texas, Vanderbilt and West Virginia

Rivals ratings - 3 stars/5.6 rating

ESPN/Scouts Inc. rating - 3 stars/75 rating

Scout ratings - 2 stars/#132 ranked Safety in the nation

Offers from Arizona, Baylor, East Carolina, Iowa and North Texas.

Was a solid verbal to Arizona but has switched his commitment to a soft verbal.

Committed to Arizona - 6/10/10

It'd be interesting to know who's recruiting him. I kind of wonder if it couldn't be the new cornerbacks coach, Justin Gaines, based on this from the meangreensports.com article when he was hired:

"He was instrumental in developing the state of Texas as a recruiting hotbed for Montana State, helping sign 18 players from the state in the last three years."

Edited by eulessismore

I don't know if I would call it Scout article as much as Arizona Propoganda ---that article writes like this kid was overwhelmed at the amazing level and depth of competition and depth and was forced to "wind up" at North Texas... These guys that write this stuff crack me up.

PS - great work by Gangrene on digging this one up!:thumbsu:

I'll admit that I've been disappointed on the DL front. With QBs, it's exactly what I thought we needed, two preps and one JUCO. Love that the JUCO, Thompson, and Baine will allow the preps to redshirt.

I've been waiting for good neews out of the recruiting end of this thing. And, I've got to tell you, while I've been anxious, if Swarn is the type of recruit we begin to land now and in the future, it's worth the wait and a little worry.

I think maybe some of the problem is that in the past we haven't had the type of players that many BCS schools were fighting for. Guys like Swarn with legitimate options all over the country (Arizona and Iowa) - that's the type of player we want. We've had very few of those.

My hope is that that our roster full of "diamonds in the rough", "projects", and "stealth recruiting" signees will be coached beyond their potential, mix with Swarn-types, and turn this program into Big 12-2 worthy.

I know I dream big here, but I just can't help believing that if Mike Stoops wanted this guy that he isn't a legitimate BCS-type safety. And, if we can draw this type, then why shouldn't we be aiming for the Big 12-2 instead of the MWC or C-USA? The Stoops brothers have long earned their spurs as secondary experts. If this guy was a Stoops guy and ends up here, that's major.

We get one or two of this type this year, and half a dozen or more next year, this thing will jet from doormat to BCS noisemaker in short order. There's no reason that we can't dream and achieve the things TCU, Boise State, and Utah have dreamed and achieved. It begins with legitimate coaching, which we now have, and the players with big time potential to execute their marching orders on game day.

I'm a bit scared at this point with the recruiting, but very eager to see the end result. Even if we don't get Swarn, I'm encouraged that this level of recruit is now giving us serious looks.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I'll admit that I've been disappointed on the DL front. With QBs, it's exactly what I thought we needed, two preps and one JUCO. Love that the JUCO, Thompson, and Baine will allow the preps to redshirt.

I've been waiting for good neews out of the recruiting end of this thing. And, I've got to tell you, while I've been anxious, if Swarn is the type of recruit we begin to land now and in the future, it's worth the wait and a little worry.

I think maybe some of the problem is that in the past we haven't had the type of players that many BCS schools were fighting for. Guys like Swarn with legitimate options all over the country (Arizona and Iowa) - that's the type of player we want. We've had very few of those.

My hope is that that our roster full of "diamonds in the rough", "projects", and "stealth recruiting" signees will be coached beyond their potential, mix with Swarn-types, and turn this program into Big 12-2 worthy.

I know I dream big here, but I just can't help believing that if Mike Stoops wanted this guy that he isn't a legitimate BCS-type safety. And, if we can draw this type, then why shouldn't we be aiming for the Big 12-2 instead of the MWC or C-USA? The Stoops brothers have long earned their spurs as secondary experts. If this guy was a Stoops guy and ends up here, that's major.

We get one or two of this type this year, and half a dozen or more next year, this thing will jet from doormat to BCS noisemaker in short order. There's no reason that we can't dream and achieve the things TCU, Boise State, and Utah have dreamed and achieved. It begins with legitimate coaching, which we now have, and the players with big time potential to execute their marching orders on game day.

I'm a bit scared at this point with the recruiting, but very eager to see the end result. Even if we don't get Swarn, I'm encouraged that this level of recruit is now giving us serious looks.

I think you are right - we basically weren't even challenging for the higher tier recruit and so this staff is having to readjust the brand. Remember the good linemen are always the toughest to land and typically have the most options. I'm of the opinion that we will get some jucos that are graduating in May to fill that void. So don't be scared, take faith in the fact that this staff knows the level of talent required to win at a much higher level than what we have been accustomed to here. It will take some time to reposition North Texas but the tools are in place like never before. My only regret is that we should have made this decision a year earlier.

Kerry Swarn 2010 highlight video (#6):

Lloyd Carrington 2010 highlight video (#4):

I'd like to get both of these kids. However, I just learned that Carrington was reported on January 7, 2011, to have narrowed his choices to four teams (Cal, Nevada, Tulsa, and Utah), with Utah leading. Of course, that doesn't mean we don't still have a chance, especially if we can land Swarn.