Live From The Ticketcity Bowl

emmitt01

Look, a guy steps up and creates a new bowl in Dallas at the historic Cotton Bowl (where the Cotton Bowl probably should still be played with the "Jerry Bowl" getting a new name) with his own money, gets the NCAA certification, gets it on New Year's Day and pretty much hits break even on ticket sales his first year. Not attendance, mind you, which is why the Cotton Bowl was about 1/3 full for the game (those early morning temps didn't help walk up numbers), but pretty much break-even the first year anyway. I was really shocked that the vocal Texas Tech fan base did not support this bowl game with many many more fans, but it just shows that sometimes "talk" is cheap but "action" takes a bit more commitment.

I applaud the guy for getting the Bowl up and going, and hope he can "sell out" next year and then "sell" the bowl to an organization that will run it for years to come. Why? Well, it's is good for the area from a financial standpoint. Hotel sales, food sales, etc., etc. Plus, some local folks get to make a bit of New Year's day cash working the game, and Fair Park gets another opportunity for use. I, for one, appreciate that they guy put his money on the line for this bowl game. I am just disappointed a bit that the "local" team had such a poor turnout and that the City of Dallas itself did not do more to support the game. Maybe next year...heck, I hope the Mean green are playing in the TicketCity Bowl in Dallas next year if not in New Orleans as SBC champs!

Too many bowl games, probably. But, if UNT were to have played in that game, would any of the Mean Green faithful want to turn down the opportunity?

GO MEAN GREEN....Congts to the organizers of the TicketCity Bowl. Tech folks...you should have done much better to support your team.

• Upvote 3

Look, a guy steps up and creates a new bowl in Dallas at the historic Cotton Bowl (where the Cotton Bowl probably should still be played with the "Jerry Bowl" getting a new name) with his own money, gets the NCAA certification, gets it on New Year's Day and pretty much hits break even on ticket sales his first year. Not attendance, mind you, which is why the Cotton Bowl was about 1/3 full for the game (those early morning temps didn't help walk up numbers), but pretty much break-even the first year anyway. I was really shocked that the vocal Texas Tech fan base did not support this bowl game with many many more fans, but it just shows that sometimes "talk" is cheap but "action" takes a bit more commitment.

I applaud the guy for getting the Bowl up and going, and hope he can "sell out" next year and then "sell" the bowl to an organization that will run it for years to come. Why? Well, it's is good for the area from a financial standpoint. Hotel sales, food sales, etc., etc. Plus, some local folks get to make a bit of New Year's day cash working the game, and Fair Park gets another opportunity for use. I, for one, appreciate that they guy put his money on the line for this bowl game. I am just disappointed a bit that the "local" team had such a poor turnout and that the City of Dallas itself did not do more to support the game. Maybe next year...heck, I hope the Mean green are playing in the TicketCity Bowl in Dallas next year if not in New Orleans as SBC champs!

Too many bowl games, probably. But, if UNT were to have played in that game, would any of the Mean Green faithful want to turn down the opportunity?

GO MEAN GREEN....Congts to the organizers of the TicketCity Bowl. Tech folks...you should have done much better to support your team.

Great post. If we were in it, we'd be tickled green and partying all the way down 35 to fairpark.

Kudos to this gent, I still like the Cotton Bowl and if it's going to remain in that area, the entire metroplex would behooved to see it flourish for all the reasons you listed and more.

And with how spread out all the bowl games are now, I for one don't think there's too many bowl games on. 10 yrs ago everything was centered around new Year's day, now it's a 3 week long feast of go for broke college football.

My friend is a die hard tech fan and alum who lives in Dallas and he told me just like him most fans didn't give a rats ass about this game. Like just about 80% of other bowl games....this one was meaningless. We don't need to be dogging it and Tech fans don't need to defend a higher attendance number. In the end the game and this bowl was and is irrelevant and a waste of time.

Talk about irrelevent,the "Cotton Bowl" played in Jerry's World on a Friday night long after New Year's Day. We need a new real Cotton Bowl game and call this one what it is---JERRY'S BOWL.