Lacedarius Dunn

NT03

It doesn't matter whether she wants to press charges or not, it isn't her decision. As far as the "what I hear", I am sure the right rumors are being spread, possibly even by her friends at her request.

This guy is willing to lie to police and prosecutors, have his girlfriend lie to police and prosecutors, and come up with one of the dumbest, most 3rd grade stories ever in order to save his own hyde. That is enough for me to expell him if I was the school administration. Throw on top of that he struck a female hard enough to break her jaw and I hope the kid has to pay his way through college without an athletic scholarship.

As far as him not being an NBA commodity, I have seeen several preseason articles picking him to be a high 2nd round NBA draft choice.

Please don't tell me you are looking toward TU for you moral compass. You don't know how many times Dunn punched her as that information was not released. Look what the TU player did without breaking his girlfriend's jaw. Now imagine the force it took to break this girl's jaw. Don't believe a thing he or she has to say at this point as they are in complete damage control.

I really don't have anything against Drew, and think he is doing what any other big 6 coach would do. I'm just still ticked that J'mson Morgan didnt do the right thing.

But who knows, maybe this girl ends up dead and dumped in a field ;)

I don't believe Dunn has lied to anyone. In fact, I'm fairly confident he hasn't said anything to anyone. When the warrant officially came out, he turned himself in and that's all we've heard from him. Now, the girlfriend might have lied, that I don't know. Her original story was that he hit her and then later, she reconfirmed that he hit her, but added that it was "on accident." (Which seems a stretch at best, I agree.)

I also think it should be clarified that while the jaw is technically broken, it's a very small hairline fracture. Not that it makes any real difference, but when I heard "break" originally, I thought "broke in half."

Re: one hit. The report was that it was one hit. That I am fairly confident in. She was not bruised up or anything like that as someone that had been beaten would be. You are acting as if he went Mike Tyson on her and, from all accounts, that is not the case.

I'm not trying to defend Dunn here. Or Drew for that matter. I will support their decision either way. But it is human nature for us to assume the worst in these types of situations and I think the worst case scenario that everyone is assuming is likely far from the actual situation.

Re: the story I heard. I heard it well before the story was ever broken originally. The stuff that's floating around now could be real or fabricated, but given the timing of when I heard the account and who I heard it from, I trust the validity. Of course, I don't blame you for not doing so though and would probably be the same if the situations were reversed.

And I assure you I do not want to hold the standards of UT. Just pointing out that it has happened before and that every punishment that I've heard tossed around is many times more severe than what some other schools have done. Hell, UNLV just suspended a guy that struck and choked his GF for only three games. And, unless I misunderstood the story, she DID press charges. The judge simply took a plea deal.

Either way, here's a brief:

- Girlfriend has hairline jaw fracture

- Told doctor at the ER that boyfriend "hit her"

- Police work up aggravated assault charges

- Warrant issued for Dunn's arrest

- Dunn turns himself in

- Girl says that the hit was "on accident" and she refuses to press charges

- Charges will likely go from felony to misdemeanor due to lack of evidence of an aggravated assault

- Dunn has no history of domestic violence nor any other prior run-ins with law

When I was first married, my wife and I got into an enormous fight one night. My father was one of those guys that yelled and yelled so I tend to like to remove myself from those types of situations. Just my auto-response. As I was trying to remove myself, my wife got increasingly angry and kept grabbing me saying, "Don't you dare walk away from me while I'm talking to you." Finally, she grabbed me so hard that she pulled me down to the ground as I was walking away, causing me to hit my head on the way down. Never in my life have I felt the type of blood boiling rage that I felt at that moment. I put my fist through the wall right after that. Not once did it ever cross my mind to strike her, of course, but someone with lesser control might have. I don't know if Dunn's situation was remotely close to mine. It doesn't make it okay, no matter what happened. But I do know that when my wife later told my parents that I put my fist through a wall that night, everyone assumed that *I* had the anger problem. That frustrates me to this day as I have never in my life done anything like that before or after and also because I was trying to get away from the situation when it occurred and was, quite literally, dragged back into it.

At the end of the day, no one will know the real story and, without knowing what really happened and why, it's difficult to determine what the punishment should be. However, we all can agree that, regardless of circumstances, there should be one.

Edited by BaylorGuy314
  • Upvote 1

Either way, here's a brief:

- Girlfriend has hairline jaw fracture

- Told doctor at the ER that boyfriend "hit her"

- Police work up aggravated assault charges

- Warrant issued for Dunn's arrest

- Dunn turns himself in

- Girl says that the hit was "on accident" and she refuses to press charges

- Charges will likely go from felony to misdemeanor due to lack of evidence of an aggravated assault- Dunn has no history of domestic violence nor any other prior run-ins with law

She meets the definition of family in this state which would qualify this assault as a felony.

"Sec. 22.01. ASSAULT. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:

(1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse;"

"(b-1) Notwithstanding Subsection (B )(2), an offense under Subsection (a)(1) is a felony of the second degree if:

(1) the offense is committed against a person whose relationship to or association with the defendant is described by Section 71.0021(B ), 71.003 (this includes baby mama), or 71.005, Family Code;"

A broken bone is generally considered serious bodily injury and would seem to qualify this incident as Aggravated Assault.

"Sec. 22.02. AGGRAVATED ASSAULT. (a) A person commits an offense if the person commits assault as defined in Sec. 22.01 and the person:

(1) causes serious bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse; or

(2) uses or exhibits a deadly weapon during the commission of the assault.

(B ) An offense under this section is a felony of the second degree, except..."

So yeah, it is a felony. Will he plead to a lesser charge? Maybe, but from the information we have now it is a felony.

Edited by Army of Dad

I also think it should be clarified that while the jaw is technically broken, it's a very small hairline fracture. Not that it makes any real difference, but when I heard "break" originally, I thought "broke in half."

I'm not trying to defend Dunn here.

Huh? I mean seriously. Does it matter? If her jaw is broken, then her jaw is broken. That takes a pretty good slug... your jaw is bone!

When I was first married, my wife and I got into an enormous fight one night. My father was one of those guys that yelled and yelled so I tend to like to remove myself from those types of situations. Just my auto-response. As I was trying to remove myself, my wife got increasingly angry and kept grabbing me saying, "Don't you dare walk away from me while I'm talking to you." Finally, she grabbed me so hard that she pulled me down to the ground as I was walking away, causing me to hit my head on the way down. Never in my life have I felt the type of blood boiling rage that I felt at that moment. I put my fist through the wall right after that. Not once did it ever cross my mind to strike her, of course, but someone with lesser control might have. I don't know if Dunn's situation was remotely close to mine. It doesn't make it okay, no matter what happened. But I do know that when my wife later told my parents that I put my fist through a wall that night, everyone assumed that *I* had the anger problem. That frustrates me to this day as I have never in my life done anything like that before or after and also because I was trying to get away from the situation when it occurred and was, quite literally, dragged back into it.

Maybe LaceDarius should have excercised your kind of show of force, then restraint. Instead, he put his fist through her jaw. The dude should be put away. Normal guys like you or I would...

Army,

You are exactly right. That is why it was considered a felony. But, as I mentioned, since she is not cooperating and is saying that there was no intent to cause serious bodily harm, then they will probably drop it to a misdemeanor.

MeanGreen,

I wasn't trying to make light of the situation when I commented on the break, just that when I hear that a bone is broken I think of something more serious than a hairline fracture. I've had a true broken jaw (fractured playing football) and a hairline fracture. The hairline fracture was from a very minor impact. I had no idea it was a fracture. The broken jaw required my mouth to wired shut and to undergo surgery. To me, having experienced both, there is a big difference between the two.

As far as wishing he would've shown that type of restraint, I'm sure he is wishing the exact same thing. I don't know that you or I would be treated any differently though if the situations were reversed. From the other scenarios I've read, it would seem that these situations commonly go from felony to misdemeanors, although I could be wrong.

Edited by BaylorGuy314

Army,

You are exactly right. That is why it was considered a felony. But, as I mentioned, since she is not cooperating and is saying that there was no intent to cause serious bodily harm, then they will probably drop it to a misdemeanor.

MeanGreen,

I wasn't trying to make light of the situation when I commented on the break, just that when I hear that a bone is broken I think of something more serious than a hairline fracture. I've had a true broken jaw (fractured playing football) and a hairline fracture. The hairline fracture was from a very minor impact. I had no idea it was a fracture. The broken jaw required my mouth to wired shut and to undergo surgery. To me, having experienced both, there is a big difference between the two.

As far as wishing he would've shown that type of restraint, I'm sure he is wishing the exact same thing. I don't know that you or I would be treated any differently though if the situations were reversed. From the other scenarios I've read, it would seem that these situations commonly go from felony to misdemeanors, although I could be wrong.

Look, not to go through this whole thing, but her not wanting prosecute or changing her story now doesn't matter. When you go to a hospital, they get a complete medical history for the injury. Do you seriously think the only thing she told the nurse taking the medical history was "he hit me in the jaw" and the nurse didn't ask any additional questions? Thats not how it's done. They asked her how many times she was hit, the circumstances surrounding the injury, and who caused the injury. That is a medical record that will be admissible in court, so the nurse will testify to exactly what this girl said occurred, her demeanor, and whether the injury was consistent with the girl's account of events that night.

It probably will be dropped to a misdemeanor, but not for the reasons you list. A broken jaw probably will not rise to the level of Serious Bodily Injury (Injury that creates a substantial risk of death, serious permanent disfigurement, or protracted loss or impairment of the function of any bodily member or organ) unless the mouth has to be wired shut. Her cooperation or non-cooperation will have nothing to do with the charge that he eventually faces.

There is just so much justification in all of your posts, I'll just address it this way. If a man hit YOUR daughter in the jaw during an argument, causing a fracture to her jaw, would you want that man's tuition paid for by the university where your daughter attended school? Especially a private, Christian, school that is supposed to be molding your daughter into all she can be?

The saddest thing about this whole story is that this girl has now been told by multiple people that when a man hits her, she needs to take it and keep her mouth shut. I was joking earlier about her ending up dead in a field, but the sad thing is that the probability of much worse abuse at the hands of a romantic partner have skyrocketed for this young lady.

As for Dunn, his silence while this outlandish "I scared him and he punched me" story is being told amounts to an endorsement. So, yes, through his silence, he is responsible for the 3rd grade lie. Why? Because he knows the truth and chooses not to reveal it.

looks like their problems may extend beyond Dunn.

http://www.big12hoop...ason-gets-worse

"But, according to the article, Drew hired Tim Floyd's old attorney Jim Darnell. It could be me reading too much into the language of the article, but when a coach hires an attorney, things are worse than a minor texting spree (Floyd hired Darnell to help absolve him from accusations that he gave cash to Mayo's handler). Floyd is coaching again (UTEP), so Darnell is probably pretty good. But that still doesn't explain why Drew needs an attorney to begin with."

Looks like the Baylor Basketball program is BIG into representation.

A seven year lesson learned?

Q: What do you say to a girl with two black eyes?

A: Nothing, you already told the bitch twice.

Ba dumm dumm chhhh. Bad taste..I know. So in reading this I followed along with what Baylor mentioned about the Klutz situation and that guy got off with zero issues. WTH? Lace has a couple things going against him as far as trying to stay out of the PR light

1.) He is the leading scorer for Baylor...hence newsworthy

2.) He is black... (look at Klutz and tell me that him being white didn't help his cause)

3.) He is at Baylor.....people seem to fish up as much as they can on the school and it's athletic programs

4.) Her dad.....should never have made any statements whatsoever.

Sorry as these are all Captain Obvious postings...but felt the need to share my .02

Hopefully the right decision is made no matter what that may be (this is called Poltico-Speak)

• Upvote 2