How Many Players Have You Lost?

Fanof49ASU

This is eerily familiar to our team last year. (We had more season ending surgeries than any other team last year.)

A few of us were chatting about this in chat during the game. Bottom line, if your players can't execute the plays in your playbook, adjust the plays for two reasons:

(1) increase chance of execution, and

(2) reduce injuries.

Our injuries aren't minor cramps and bruises they are serious injuries, not only physically, but will feed into a lack of confidence for the guys in the huddle getting the play.

A few of us were chatting about this in chat during the game. Bottom line, if your players can't execute the plays in your playbook, adjust the plays for two reasons:

(2) reduce injuries.

Our injuries aren't minor cramps and bruises they are serious injuries, not only physically, but will feed into a lack of confidence for the guys in the huddle getting the play.

Not sure I'm following what you are saying. Are you stating that the plays we are running could lead to an increase in injuries, so the plays should be adjusted, and that due to the injuries suffered by some of our players the rest are scared to run the called plays?

You're overthinking it, Nova. Football is a game where men hit each other hard while running, jumping, twisting, and turning. No matter what you do, there are going to be some injuries. We're unlucky so far this year...

...or, are we?

Could it be that this weekend will be the unveiling of the Derek Thompson Dynasty of Sun Belt titles? It could be. Let's see what this kid can do before we throw all of the playbook, and our hopes, out the window.

(2) reduce injuries.

How far out from where you live did the Titanic sink?

And I saw your Anne Murray in concert at Six Flags Over Texas at the old Southern Palace in 1972. One of her musicians during that concert was a guy named Kenny Loggins. :)

GMG!

PS: Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com and speaking of 6 Flags Over Texas--this forum will be one of the wildest roller coaster rides of your life if you hang in here. Great thing is--we all want UNT to excel (albeit we have different ideas for her to do so). :rolleyes:

GMG!

Not sure I'm following what you are saying. Are you stating that the plays we are running could lead to an increase in injuries, so the plays should be adjusted, and that due to the injuries suffered by some of our players the rest are scared to run the called plays?

Yep, pretty much saying that. Conditioning is a part of the equation also. I obviously wasn't at the last game, but one poster reported our guys were on the field an hour before the game in full pads. I don't get that. I have been not been out of Denton long enough to forget how hot it can be this time of year. That could say something about how our coaches view 'conditioning' - drills in full pads an hour before the game seems odd.

Back to my original point - the amount of injuries show something more than just bad luck. Poor execution (both on the field and in the play calling) can put a player in a high risk position for injury. The most dangerous play this side of the border (yes we have football here) is a pass high or behind the tight end on a crossing pattern. A poorly placed pass exposes him to quite the hit. The good news for UNT for that scenario is we never throw to a tight end! ;-)

I wouldn't say scared is the right word to describe what goes through a player's mind. Maybe more along the lines of 'not interested in getting creamed again'. As the players lose confidence - their performance is going to reflect it.

Yep, pretty much saying that. Conditioning is a part of the equation also. I obviously wasn't at the last game, but one poster reported our guys were on the field an hour before the game in full pads. I don't get that. I have been not been out of Denton long enough to forget how hot it can be this time of year. That could say something about how our coaches view 'conditioning' - drills in full pads an hour before the game seems odd.

Back to my original point - the amount of injuries show something more than just bad luck. Poor execution (both on the field and in the play calling) can put a player in a high risk position for injury. The most dangerous play this side of the border (yes we have football here) is a pass high or behind the tight end on a crossing pattern. A poorly placed pass exposes him to quite the hit. The good news for UNT for that scenario is we never throw to a tight end! ;-)

I wouldn't say scared is the right word to describe what goes through a player's mind. Maybe more along the lines of 'not interested in getting creamed again'. As the players lose confidence - their performance is going to reflect it.

Football players can stand having their pads on and loosening up an hour before a game in the heat. It happens at every southern college game in the USA every week. I can tell you they did not look tired or more ineffective in the 4th quarter and that's where it would show up. I'd say with 420 yards of offense that could've easily been 520, the offense was moving right along and the D kept Rice to 350 yards, so they weren't exactly dismal. Players do get hurt more often when they are loafing or not paying attention, but I haven't seen any of that and this game went down to the wire so it would be very odd if they had lost hope. I think some of these injuries were caused by large, fast men running into each other because they were intent upon winning, not because they were discouraged or tired. That's what I saw.

• Upvote 1

I think some of these injuries were caused by large, fast men running into each other because they were intent upon winning, not because they were discouraged or tired. That's what I saw.

I always thought a team doing drills before a game was an unprepared team. They made me think they were getting in a few last minutes of practice. By game day, walks throughs, maybe visualizations (as the new athletes call them), and a warm up should be the norm. Again, could be a regional thing.

I will take you word for it - as the feed I see on the Internet isn't 'replay and analyze' quality. All I know is the play I saw with Tune the defender seemed to have a direct bead on him - All I am saying is a very fast moving man was had a direct shot on a stationary guy. My biggest concern is (1) did anyone block him by design and if so (2) lets hope that lineman (or back) didn't let him go because he was tired.

Ultimately I know football is a collision sport - but with UNT being on the injury side of the collisions it shows a pattern. I played long enough ago we didn't air it out every down and a balanced attack was status quo. Maybe it's just the new 'exciting' brand of football we see everywhere today. I must have joined the ranks for the 'old farts' as I am not that excited with it, it's much more exciting to win 2-0! :D