First Todd Dodge Radio Show

SUMG

Lance is good. 197 pounds. Other running backs are good, too. "I'll remind everyone that James Hamilton was the leading rusher in DFW as a spread QB at Cedar Hill." Hamilton had a bad summer last year, this year he did everything all summer long. Byrd is a freshman that came in midyear and worked through spring. When we signed him, we think redshirt because he's not ready physically. Between signing and through offseason, he was 187 and he's about 205 now. He's a guy I don't plan on redshirting. He'll play on special teams.

Both QBs improved tremendously since spring ball. When you evaluate 2 QBs, you'd like for one to distance themselves. Someone to jump out and make it an easy decision. Didn't happen, but not in a bad way. Neither let up any. Nobody had a series of inconsistent practices. 1 on 1, 7 on 7, full team... They take their coaching and carry it onto the field. At the end of camp, we pick one. Not going in without a defined role, and it's Nathan Tune. Feel "very confident about Nathan". Has improved himself physically as much as anyone. Was about 200 lbs, now 226. Durability, arm strength, athletically, able to do some things he wasn't able to do before. How do they separate? Nathan played against Ohio, led us into overtime, played against FAU, in the fire against Alabama and Troy. As a staff, we have to decide what's best for us right now. Tune is the guy.

How much will Riley play at QB?

Mike has a package for Riley. Coached Groethe at USF. Riley reminds him so much of him. Everyday standpoint, Riley is a WR. It's not really a 'wildcat' for us, because Riley can do most everything. 8-12 snaps per game as a changeup situation.

[OL] "is the strength of our football team"

TE talk:

Really, the offense that Mike brings in, it's the ability to put those plays in different personnel groupings. Gilmartin "is doing a great job for us". Micah Mosely... "All of those guys are going to help us create... a more physical mentality in parts of our running game."

George: eyeball test, defense looks like the biggest difference

TD: Jackson and Atkinson were 1st year JC guys, this offseason Shavod dropped from 315 to 290. Kelvin is the strongest guy on the team, he's been working on quickness and footwork through the offseason. Both are more valuable in their ability to stay on the field longer now. Both starters return on DE (What about Gilmore???). Good additions, even the late ones in particular. Bellazin, we were all talking about on signing day. A lot of people looked forward to his arrival and he hasn't disappointed.

LB, "one that's really coming is Zack Orr". We rank every practice 1-5 with 5 being the best, Zack Orr keeps showing up 5s and 4s (HE GRADED OUT WELL!!!) He took 12 hours this summer. Intelligent and focused.

Secondary, Ford from Charleston SC and Royce Hill, those two guys with the depth are going to allow Deloach to do a lot with blitzing. Cook and Smith at safety, Downing adding depth... "You keep hearing me saying Depth, Depth. Competition". Right now, the players know if you come "half stepping" in practice, you get passed by. Makes us focused.

Our turnover ratio was "horrible" last year. Gotta flip it. What do you do to get that done? Every day, we do strip drills. Gang tackling, pulling it, punching it. 7 on 7, WRs have to high and tight or it gets taken away from them. Working on it every day.

When you're able to take guys like Apunku (who has outstanding pass rush), Craig Robinson, Graham... We're able to be more exotic in pressuring the QB beyond just the front four. Starts with the corners. Guys who can hold up outside allow you to do a lot of things.

Kicking:

Attebery

Attebury started last year very well. Situations last year got a couple blocked that hurt his stats. For most of the year, he was solid. He's been in big situations, played against the national champs in front of 90k. No stars in his eyes like last year.

At snapper, Troy is our guys and Blake is a snap away. We feel good there, both have improved tremendously.

Kicking situation is "a bit of a concern right now". We start and end with live PAT/FG. We'll go with one of three, and they all continue to compete. Olen (screwed up name), Jose, and Trent Deans. Those three compete every day.

Who kicks first on Saturday?

Don't know yet. After Tuesday, we'll know and the winner will know. Sort of like the QB situation. But no separation there yet.

Clemson talk.

George says they return 15 starters. 20 TD passes and 20 homers. Kyle Parker is super.

TD: We've known Parker for a while personally. Saw him in camps with Riley. Graduated early and went to Clemson, made all conference baseball in what should have been his senior year of HS. Finished with baseball eligibility, still has time left on football. Signed with rockies, he'll move on after this season. "He's a really good player"

Clemson defense:

He (safety on Clemson) is the real deal. Breaks well, reads eyes. When they go to a 1 high look, he's down in the box. Very physical. Very impressive.

Expect a physical game. Clemson plays like an SEC team based on offense and defense structure. Coaches have alabama and tennessee ties. Size of DL, 5 ends have played and all are 6'4 250 lbs or so.

TD took a summer visit to Clemson 6 or 7 years ago. Went through their camp. Always gone to Furman in Greenville for a WR/QB camp there. Used to do those on vacation back when the kids were younger. Never been there on a game day. Mike coached at NC State, he's getting us up to speed on everything that happens at Clemson. One of the premiere places in the country. But we've been to Alabama, LSU... We've had our bus rocked in Baton Rouge. A lot of these guys have made those trips. Not worried about our guys getting intimidated by the surroundings.

Focusing on the field not the atmosphere isn't hard after a little experience. You've done it a while, you learn to block the other stuff out. We're veteran, not our first trip like this. It'll be loud, we know what to expect. First, we have to be physical. Every position on the team, right from the start. Take every opportunity to be physical.

George asks about practice in the heat. What was your approach?

TD: the first week, it was tough. During "acclimation week", we have to get 5 one a days in, but 55 players are still in summer school. 3:15 was practice time, but players had classes morning noon and night. That was two weeks ago, and it was HOT. The players trained all summer, though. Did team runs in the heat of the afternoon. They know we work 20-25 minutes and break to hydrate. Only one day did we have about 5 guys hitting IVs after practice. It was a day where 15 to 20 had to leave early for night class. The ones left behind to practice got more reps.

The next week we practice more in the morning. Since summer school is over, we practice about 8:30 in the morning.

The heat doesn't cut down on productivity. We did everything we wanted. It might take 2:45 to get it all because of breaks, but we did it. Says something about the conditioning the players came in with.

We've definitely had the opportunity to train in heat. It'll be 93 on saturday in Clemson, and very humid. Looks to be sunny. Our players will be ready to roll.

George asks about JUCO recruiting, says the freshmen are interesting in the 2 deep

TD: We always tell guys don't plan on being redshirted. Outsiders think you have to decide after you sign them. Nope. After camp. No, not here. You won't find redshirt in an NCAA manual. Just 5 to play 4. This group gets that, they come in and compete. Chancellor, Orr, Byrd, Abbe... Guys are fighting their way onto the 2 deep. If you can come in and make us better, you play. If you need time to develop, you get redshirted. Feeley was supposed to be a redshirt but started 6 games due to injury (not how I remember it... But whatever).

Pourhouse will have the MGRN sound up during the game, per George and Steve.

George brings up the recruitment of Blake. Said at age 5 someday he'd play for the Mean Green. First thing he said to George was "I love Coach Dodge and i want this to work for him and for this university". How do you call it if he gets in the game? Probably won't have to worry for a while. It's different when your son is in the stadium and on the field. Talk about your experience with that, Coach.

TD: Our team realizes the opportunity and obligation to play as hard as we can and focus to reach our potential. Blake grew up in Fouts. He may be the most excited to run out the tunnel at Fouts. Everyone talks new stadium, Blake is excited about taking the field at this one. "Enjoy the journey" says TD to George. Says don't worry, Blake is going to class.

• Upvote 1

Message to the team in the morning at the first team meeting:

"Physical. I mean, it's gotta start there. They (clemson) are who they are. But we've gotta go in with a mindset that we will not be intimidated, we're gonna go in and be physical".

2nd thing: Get as many hats as we can to the ball and create turnovers. Offensive standpoint, gotta take chances. Find the right set. Find the right motions. They'll give us something in the passing game, just gotta be ready to take it. Kicking, quickly mentioned and skipped over.

Show over. Clap clap clap. Join us Saturday, says George. I'm sure we all will.

I thought the show was good. I can't wait for Saturday. From what TD described and from reading blogs, articles, etc., this team has a different attitude. they are eager to win. they don't seem like they will settle to hang close in a game and hope for a lucky break. it seems they want to dominate from the first snap. hopefully this attitude will translate. I've already started icing down the beverages for Saturday...can't freakin wait!!

Tasty....you are freakin awesome

Thanks. I started out just wanting to mention a few things for the benefit of people who see this later and couldn't listen live, and it gradually morphed into more of a live transcript.

If it's something people want (and I don't get any complaints from the AD's office, because this is technically an unauthorized reproduction of KNTU's broadcast content) I'll do a full live transcript whenever I have the time free to listen.

• Upvote 5

Thanks. I started out just wanting to mention a few things for the benefit of people who see this later and couldn't listen live, and it gradually morphed into more of a live transcript.

If it's something people want (and I don't get any complaints from the AD's office, because this is technically an unauthorized reproduction of KNTU's broadcast content) I'll do a full live transcript whenever I have the time free to listen.

Much thanks. I couldn't listen live. I came back to my machine hoping to find a podcast on MGS.com or KNTU but neither had it. Thanks to you I didn't miss a thing.

+1