Uta Breaks Ground Today On Events Center

NT80

For the same $78 million I'd rather have our new football stadium...

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/030510dnmetutacenter.17a706b47.html

They already have a much nicer football stadium than Fouts. As for a football team ...

If they have an actual basketball court, we should schedule them every couple of years. I still say "no" to games in a place where players can literally fall off of the court!

They already have a much nicer football stadium than Fouts. As for a football team ...

If they have an actual basketball court, we should schedule them every couple of years. I still say "no" to games in a place where players can literally fall off of the court!

I don't know if Maverick Stadium is that much better than Fouts. It is newer and has better angled seats but it still has a track around it and only half the capacity of Fouts. It could be mistaken for a high school facility (which it is).

Maverick Stadium was built just after the time we built the SuperPit. Schools invested in different sports then and are now investing in the other sport's facilities now for $78 million...who got the better deal?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www2.uta.edu/housing/conferences/images/mav1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www2.uta.edu/housing/conferences/mavstadium.htm&usg=__5sB3FCKxAXrnbVUUIZZ811rlQSE=&h=612&w=898&sz=68&hl=en&start=1&itbs=1&tbnid=6NDQ3sm4vitOnM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=146&prev=/images%3Fq%3Duta%2Bmaverick%2Bstadium%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1

Here's a bit of trivia I'd forgotten: the first game played in Maverick Stadium was UTA vs NTin 1980. It was also the first college football game broadcast by ESPN.

More information here

ntsu won the game 31-14 under jerry moore. did not know espn had it on tv. well attended but it was not a sellout. uta's last game as a program was at fouts losing again to ntsu 23-20 in 1985.

1) Good for UTA - about time that they stop playing BB on a stage. Looks like seating capacity is about 6,500 for this new facility - which is pretty nice for a Div I school in the SLC. We have a capacity of over 10,000 in the SUPERPIT :-)

2) Maverick Stadium is a fine Div I FCS (or large High School) stadium. I've been there and it's not too bad. Not sure that UTA will ever get back into the football game, but I'm sure the SLC woudl love to see that happen.

3) Thank God we're getting our new football stadium!!!

I am gonna have to disagree with the statement on Maverick Stadium being nicer than Fouts...lets take a look

mav1.jpg

vs.

1493313.jpg

Yeah...I will take Fouts over that

Here's a bit of trivia I'd forgotten: the first game played in Maverick Stadium was UTA vs NTin 1980. It was also the first college football game broadcast by ESPN.

More information here

Calling Shenanigans on this.....check out the wikipedia article not the Mavericks unofficial website

TBS became the first cable station to nationally broadcast college football live when it began airing games during the 1982 season. The games were aired under a special "supplemental" television contract with the NCAA.[3] ESPN followed later the same year, starting with a simulcast of the Independence Bowl match-up between Kansas State and the University of Wisconsin on December 11, 1982, which was the first college football game shown live on ESPN.

College Football on TV Wiki