Muts Give Stockstill Huge Raise

MeanGreen61

Meanwhile at North Texas......... ph34r.gif

NT is building a new football stadium and with that has upgraded about every athletic venue and has passed a new student fee that should put them at the top of the Belt in athletic funding. Not exactly standing still while everyone else passes by as some posts would lead you to believe. As for as head football coaches' salary, surely you are not advocating a raise for Dodge. I bet when a new head coach is hired or if a miracle happens and Dodge turns the program around, you will see a significant uptick in coaches' salaries.

• Upvote 4

Turning down two $1 million/yr contracts to stay at Muts for less than $500k/yr? He may look back on those decisions someday. :blink:

from another dnj article this AM:

..."This wasn't about money. It is never about money for me," Stockstill said. "My decision (to stay at MTSU) was about the current players, the recruits, this university and about doing the right thing. I was not going to sacrifice my belief in those things to chase a dollar.

"If it was just about looking for a nickel here or a dime there, I would've already been gone. But that's not what I'm about."

According to sources, Stockstill was offered the East Carolina head coaching job last week with a starting annual salary of $1 million and a potential $100,000 raise each year. A similar salary was believed to be offered to Stockstill for the Memphis head coaching job in November.

Stockstill was also reportedly a preliminary candidate for the South Florida job two weeks ago.

"He is still going to make less than the amount he turned down," MTSU athletic director Chris Massaro said. "But we have seen the result of his work the last four years and the ideals that he upholds. And Coach Stockstill has not changed in what he believes since he came onto campus.

"We feel like we have an opportunity to grow this program under him, and we want to take advantage of that by investing in Coach Stockstill."

Massaro said Stockstill never expected MTSU to match potential offers by other schools, but rather the coach wanted more years added to his deal.

"He wanted security. That was the most important thing to him," Massaro said. "It was not about the money because there were two far more lucrative overtures."

Contract talks actually began in November around the time when Memphis made a run at Stockstill to replace fired head coach Tommy West. MTSU was also amid its FBS program record seven-game winning streak en route to a New Orleans Bowl victory over Southern Miss.

Stockstill was already slotted to receive a raise for his team's 2009 success before the season ended. His contract was extended to 2016 when MTSU President Sidney McPhee and Tennessee Board of Regents Chancellor Charles Manning received special approval to stretch the deal beyond five years, which is typically the standard maximum contract terms granted by TBR.

"I am very happy that Dr. McPhee and Chris have shown this kind of confidence in me and this program to extend my contract," Stockstill said. "I am extremely proud of what we have accomplished in four years, and how these players have conducted themselves on and off the field. I'm proud of these players and excited about the future of this program."....

from another dnj article this AM:

"He wanted security. That was the most important thing to him," Massaro said. "It was not about the money because there were two far more lucrative overtures."

Ask Mike Leach about job security over money. B)

There is no job security in football coaching.

Edited by NT80