Sprecial Teams

BleedGreen64

Is it used by SLC also? If so, it's another high school tactic that probably needs to be purged from the system. Somtimes I think that many of the things we have designed to confuse the opposition tend to confuse our guys more than the other guys.

It was introduced by Shelton Gandy when he took over special teams this year. We had never used it before, at least not during the Dodge regime.

I like this formation...or lack of one. We always seem to get men deeper and to the ball. The receiving team cant zero in as soon or as directly for a direct block..........OUR problem with it, is that when we get to the return man, we close our eyes, duck our heads, dive, and stick an arm out and help turn him a different direction to help him get loose. Then, our kicker tries to back into him and force him out of bounds (without actually touching him) while he's running down the sidleline waving and laughing at us !!!! It aint the formation that sucks...it's the tackling.

UNT uses Kickoff Coverage/formation of a certain NFL Team.

FWIW - Forney High School also uses this formation :-)

I think it is basically intended to prevent return blockers from keying on 1 or 2 people to block - and also provides for an interesting onside kick if the kicker scoots the ball straight up the middle.